Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,117 times

Advertisements

Hypothetically speaking, If Little Five Points (and it’s surrounding neighborhoods), or Kirkwood, Grant Park, East Atlanta, or Oakhurst was just as they are now – meaning same stores, same number of people, same litter, same homeless, same crime – but were predominantly (+90%) black areas, would they be just as desirable to you?

Conversely, if areas of unincorporated South Dekalb, such as communities north of I-20 along Panola Road, along Young Rd., Redan Rd., Snapfinger Rd., Wesley Chapel north of I-20, Covington Hwy and Glenwood outside of I-285 were the same, yet predominantly (+90%) white, would they be considered “quaint” more desirable communities?

I know it seems like a loaded question, but please think about it and answer truthfully. It is doubtful that you would automatically be deemed a “racist” regardless of how you choose to answer.

Thank You,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,117 times
Default interesting...

Hmm... no comments. Is this too touchy of a topic for this site?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM

34 posts, read 104,108 times
Well, even though Kirkwood, Grant Park, and East Atlanta are not 90%+, they are not below 50% in black population.

Not sure about Oakhurst.

Either way, the fact is that whites DID find these areas desireable, because up until at least 1990 they were 90% black.

Here is a really cool website that was put together by Georgia Tech. Although it is dated now, (it was made in 2001 after the '00 census), it gives you an idea of the way these neighborhoods changed since 1980.

NEIGHBORHOOD NAMES (http://www.arch.gatech.edu/~dapa/reports/atlneighchg/page-Images/neigh.html#Neig - broken link)

I am sure those areas in South Dekalb would be more desireable not necessarily if they were white, but if they had less crime and better performing schools, as well as looked nicer.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1978 View Post
Well, even though Kirkwood, Grant Park, and East Atlanta are not 90%+, they are not below 50% in black population.

Not sure about Oakhurst.

Either way, the fact is that whites DID find these areas desireable, because up until at least 1990 they were 90% black.

Here is a really cool website that was put together by Georgia Tech. Although it is dated now, (it was made in 2001 after the '00 census), it gives you an idea of the way these neighborhoods changed since 1980.

NEIGHBORHOOD NAMES (http://www.arch.gatech.edu/~dapa/reports/atlneighchg/page-Images/neigh.html#Neig - broken link)

I am sure those areas in South Dekalb would be more desireable not necessarily if they were white, but if they had less crime and better performing schools, as well as looked nicer.
Great website!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Tick tick tick tick

Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Tick tick tick tick
lol.You seen me in action you know im watchin.LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
I wouldn't move to either one regardless. They'd both have to completely revamp their view on 'elected' officials before I thought about 'owning' around there.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I wouldn't move to either one regardless. They'd both have to completely revamp their view on 'elected' officials before I thought about 'owning' around there.
just curious,because i , not sure which elected officials you talk of.I do know about the ones in Lithonia.I just don't like the area because its to conjested and was never planned in correctly.Although they are doing alot to improve the roads now.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM

100 posts, read 190,596 times
Not A touchy subject all at,this site contains no racism just some prejudice.Any community with more white people is going to be considered more desirable because of less crime and property value.Until the black community can take back the "black community" from those who choose to ruin it then it will always stay the same.

Your not a racist when you choose your location on what you prefer and what makes you feel comfortable.You really are not a racist at all unless you have the power of the government or a large corporation to directly impact the lives of whole communities.You maybe prejudice if you use stereotypes to define certain people.

Oh well,nice weather were having.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY P View Post
Not A touchy subject all at,this site contains no racism just some prejudice.Any community with more white people is going to be considered more desirable because of less crime and property value.Until the black community can take back the "black community" from those who choose to ruin it then it will always stay the same.

Your not a racist when you choose your location on what you prefer and what makes you feel comfortable.You really are not a racist at all unless you have the power of the government or a large corporation to directly impact the lives of whole communities.You maybe prejudice if you use stereotypes to define certain people.

Oh well,nice weather were having.
I agree with what you say.Too many times african-american or black is incorrectly associated with inferior or negative things.For example why does a historically black college have to be inferior?or a neighborhood?a business? A person?Its not, but its definitely inferred too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta