Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM

217 posts, read 408,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The two supermarkets that you cite are not IMO walkable from Lindbergh Center, and even biking them would be pretty dicey on the very busy Lindbergh and Piedmont Rds.
The lack of a supermarket in the Lindbergh Center area is one of its Achilles' Heels.
That's why I didn't recommend walking to them. You'd have to just LOVE to walk and have time to burn to do that. And dicey-ness is pretty subjective, depending on the time of day. Some people, especially those from big, high-density cities are super hardcore cyclists. I see people every day riding in places I wouldn't dare to. But, I've biked to places that other people wouldn't and I'm by no means hardcore. I just had to get where I had to get to.

I knew about Eon - the condos right at the station - being in a shaky situation, and I knew about construction on the the project right behind Lindbergh Plaza called Skyline stopping not long after it started. But I've never heard anything about Uptown Square or Vista Lindbergh - both rental properties - being in any trouble. Are we talking about the same things? I've always been just astonished that no one thought to put a Kroger or Publix in Lindbergh Plaza when they rebuilt it.

The #33 bus that goes from Lindbergh Center to Emory passes right by Publix at the intersection of Lindbergh/Lavista and Cheshire Bridge (one mile away) as well as the Whole Foods at Lavista and Briarcliff (two miles). The #44 bus goes from the station up Peachtree Hills Ave. and right past Peachtree Battle. That's pretty much all residential if you want to bike it, but there's one pretty intense hill just before the intersection of Peachtree Hills Ave. and Virginia Place. It's literally all downhill from there.

Also, Post Peachtree Hills is about a five minute walk from the station and Post Lindbergh is right across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
I agree with what's been said and would add that Inman Park or Candler Park would make good choices as well.

As for the broader question as to where in Atlanta can you live without a car? Just about anywhere thats with in 5 blocks of a MARTA station except for the outer edge stations which are: North of Buckhead station, east of Avondale station.

Don't listen to people who say "Atlanta is not walkable". Pretty much all of the City of Atlanta is walkable and you will more than get by without a car. Just don't live too far away from the train. While the buses do travel to further out places in the city, those that aren't in heavily traveled areas usually run either once or twice an hour. It's no fun waiting 35 minutes for a bus.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I've always been just astonished that no one thought to put a Kroger or Publix in Lindbergh Plaza when they rebuilt it.
PedestriAnne - I think I've mentioned this to you in the past (maybe), but there are plans for a huge new Kroger/L.A. Fitness directly across Piedmont from Lindbergh Station, pretty much where Zesto's and the last of the old Connie Rose apartments are.

Further down Piedmont towards town, there were plans for a very avant-garde apartment complex with a Publix on the ground level right at the Peachtree Creek bridge.

Of course, no word on either one since the recession......

Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 40,013 times
Maybe you should go to forrent.com to check out what complexes are advertising specials and also do a search to find out if it is Marta accessible. Places that are close to everything would be the Atlantic Station area which may be a little costly, but has everything you need within walking distance from grocery store to shopping, dining, etc. It is simply gorgeous out there. But like I said, it is a little pricey, but go google it and find out more about it. Also, go to Atlantic Station Apartment and you can see some of the apartments over there. I mean, you get what you pay for ;o)

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
My buidling in Midtown has some 1bd units for rent in your price range and is 1 block from Marta and a couple blocks to a Publix. Message me if you want details.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM

11 posts, read 32,612 times
Decatur is your best bet.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM

217 posts, read 408,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
PedestriAnne - I think I've mentioned this to you in the past (maybe), but there are plans for a huge new Kroger/L.A. Fitness directly across Piedmont from Lindbergh Station, pretty much where Zesto's and the last of the old Connie Rose apartments are.

Further down Piedmont towards town, there were plans for a very avant-garde apartment complex with a Publix on the ground level right at the Peachtree Creek bridge.

Of course, no word on either one since the recession......
Yeah, I remember you telling me that the Connie Rose buildings that were behind Pep Boys were gone, but not about the plans for the land the rest of them are/were on. I'd love to see a supermarket right there on Lindbergh but I'd be pretty bummed to see Zesto go. Love those fish tacos and milkshakes (not together though...)

Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM

225 posts, read 585,867 times
Decatur or Lindbergh are your best bets.

Tuscany at Lindbergh apartments and Post Lindbergh are cool. If you are coming from Emory, you can stop at a Publix on your way home if you take the #6 bus. When I was at Emory about a year ago, I recall there was a free shuttle to downtown Decatur. (Google Emory parking or CLIFF). If you are a female and looking for a roommate at Tuscany, send me a private msg. I might know another working professional who is looking for a roommate.

Decatur: There is a Kroger within walking distance of the downtown area and you would be within walking distance of my favourite pub (Brick Store Pub).

Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM

288 posts, read 542,839 times
I lived on peachtree in buckhead across from piedmont hospital. The bus runs every 8 minutes and it is very close to the subway station either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta