Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,748 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am a Native New Yorker (student) moving to Atlanta in August 2009. I DO NOT DRIVE AT ALL, so I am looking for an apartment where I can "survive" without having a car (meaning I need walking distance access to a grocery store, MARTA TRAIN station, etc.).

Are there any SPECIFIC apartment complexes people would recommend? Anything would be appreciated! My baseline rent range is up to $1,100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM

248 posts, read 645,951 times
Can you tell us what section of the city you need to be in? That will make it easier for people to provide suggestions. If you're moving here for school, which school? If you're moving here for a job, where is it located?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM

I will be on a doctoral residency at Emory University. However, given the terms of my residency I do not physically need to be on Emory's campus much. Which means I do NOT need to be living in a location near Emory.

Downtown or Midtown seem like the most conducive areas for people who are new to Atlanta. Right? I dont mind living in a "college area" also. Again--as long as I have access to all the "essentials" (without a car).

THANKS! LET ME KNOW!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
For the times that you do need to be at Emory, though, how do you plan to get there?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
I would recommend the city of Decatur. Everything downtown is with walking distance, and Emory's bus system runs a route through there.

Emory University: Transportation and Parking Services

I would recommend the Ice House Lofts. They should be within your range. Otherwise there are plenty of older, smaller apt complexes in the downtown Decatur area.

www.bradenfellman.com

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM

248 posts, read 645,951 times
I agree with LovinDecatur -- the city of Decatur is your best bet. Midtown (my home) is great, but it really would be too much of a hassle to try to get to Emory from there given the winding, time-consuming MARTA bus routes.

There's a Kroger grocery store on the north end of downtown Decatur. There's also a MARTA train station in the center of the city for getting out to see Atlanta, though there is unfortunately no train line that goes to Emory. And, yes, that is totally screwed up.

Another plus is that you'll be around a whole lot of other students from both Emory and Agnes Scott.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM

For the times that I need to be at Emory I will be receiving a ride (from a friend). Shouldn't be a hassle at all.

So you're saying that its possible to live in Decatur without a car? I'd still have walking distance access to stores (grocery). etc? I am going to check out Ice House Lofts now.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,259,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewyorker123 View Post
For the times that I need to be at Emory I will be receiving a ride (from a friend). Shouldn't be a hassle at all.

So you're saying that its possible to live in Decatur without a car? I'd still have walking distance access to stores (grocery). etc? I am going to check out Ice House Lofts now.
Decatur is one of the very few places in Atlanta where it's truly possible to live without a car. It is a small town with everything you need (including a MARTA rail station underneath the courthouse square). Midtown is the other. Downtown is harder because of the lack of grocery stores but you can take MARTA rail to Midtown to go to the Publix at Plaza Midtown and I think there's a grocery store at Atlantic Station.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewyorker123 View Post

I actually lived where I do (near the intersection of Clairemont Rd and Wilton Dr) for six months without a car, utilizing the train (Decatur has 3 MARTA stations), buses, my bike, and the occasional Zipcar that was parked a block from my house.

www.zipcar.com/webatl/

Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM

hey, "lovindecatur'--mind sharing the name of your complex? or complexes in the decatur area near the MARTTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta