Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times

Advertisements

According to the Cobb Tax Commissioner's website:

If you buy a vehicle within 59 days of your registration renewal deadline (birthday for an individual, end of specified month for a business) ad valorem tax is not due for the current year.

I'm wondering if this still applies if you transfer the tag from an old vehicle you traded in to buy the new vehicle.

I'm about to make a trade right before the tag renewal date. I was thinking this would be smart (avoiding a year of ad-valorem tax) but now I'm wondering if it would be safer to pay the tax on the old vehicle before making the trade. I'd hate to get dinged for the higher tax on the new vehicle when renewing the tag right after the vehicle purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,631,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
According to the Cobb Tax Commissioner's website:

If you buy a vehicle within 59 days of your registration renewal deadline (birthday for an individual, end of specified month for a business) ad valorem tax is not due for the current year.

I'm wondering if this still applies if you transfer the tag from an old vehicle you traded in to buy the new vehicle.

I'm about to make a trade right before the tag renewal date. I was thinking this would be smart (avoiding a year of ad-valorem tax) but now I'm wondering if it would be safer to pay the tax on the old vehicle before making the trade. I'd hate to get dinged for the higher tax on the new vehicle when renewing the tag right after the vehicle purchase.
You are correct. You will not have to pay the ad valorem tax until the following year!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 23,341 times
This used to apply in Fulton as well but I can't find any links on the web about it now. I did find it on the web in 2005. In my case it was a new car purchase with no tag to transfer so, to be safe, I would not transfer the tag but apply for a new tag and title. Take the old tag with you in case they say the rule only applies to a new car purchase with trade. Make sure they know the rule. Fulton tried to stiff me until I showed them the rule in print. Print it out and take it with you.

I need to know if the rule is still the same in Fulton. Will you please post the Cobb link you found?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdude View Post
This used to apply in Fulton as well but I can't find any links on the web about it now. I did find it on the web in 2005. In my case it was a new car purchase with no tag to transfer so, to be safe, I would not transfer the tag but apply for a new tag and title. Take the old tag with you in case they say the rule only applies to a new car purchase with trade. Make sure they know the rule. Fulton tried to stiff me until I showed them the rule in print. Print it out and take it with you.

I need to know if the rule is still the same in Fulton. Will you please post the Cobb link you found?
civicdude, you should have been able to find it via Google. Here it is: Cobb County

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 23,341 times
Hey RainyDay. Yeah, I did find the Cobb link but she who must be obeyed dragged me off to the gym before I had time to re-post. Sounds like it applies in all counties but I still can't find anything about it on the Fulton web site. Anyway, I will print off the Cobb web page and take it with me because her new Honda definitely qualifies.

In '05 we had the dealer post-date the transaction by a few days in order to qualify. This avoids the tax on the old car and the new one. Nice break, as it should be after you just forked over 7 percent to the state and county for sales tax on the whole nut. South Carolina has a $300 cap on new car sales tax but, they probably hit you up for Ad valorem when you register it.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Here's the resolution. We traded in our old vehicle late last month, 2 days before the registration renewal date (birthday). This was a Cash for Clunkers deal. We requested a transfer of the plate (tag) to the new vehicle. Dealer said we just had to pay the transfer fee and they would handle all the paperwork.

This week, the registration form and sticker arrived in the mail from Georgia DMV. All is in order. We kept the same tag but do not have to pay any ad valorem tax this year, on either vehicle.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,419 times
I am in gwinnnett, GA. I traded in my old car to dealer and bought a new car in Dec 2009. The old car's registration was cancelled on March 12, 2010. But I was asked pay for 2010 AD valorem for old car. My birth is May. I have paid my old car's ad valorem from May 2009 to May 2010. Why shoud I pay 2010 ad valorem again for old car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta