Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate Atlanta?
I Love the ATL! 25 36.23%
Happy days 10 14.49%
Decent 14 20.29%
Boring 4 5.80%
Awful! 16 23.19%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 41,185 times

Advertisements

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I see opportunity for every color and creed here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127
Well, I think the OTHER nickname for Atlanta ... "L.A. of the East", is much more appropriate, but for different reasons: Sprawl, traffic, smog alert days, and did I mention sprawl and traffic?

Here is the odd thing about Atlanta - it DOES have a very broad range of people from all over the world living here. The problem is, you never HEAR about them! The suburbs here are all governed by whites, so you hear whitewhitewhite. The city itself is governed by majority blacks, so you only hear blackblackblack. You almost never hear anything about the Latinos/Hispanics, Asians, etc. They're here, you just never see much evidence.

Every-other month you hear about the "celebrate the heritage" stuff which turns out 95% of the time to be an African-American themed event. You have the black arts festival, black film festival, hiphop and rapper fest this and that. Where are the Latino festivals? Greek fests? Asian fests? Chinese new year parades? No no no... I'm not talking about the little events you see in a mall or church parking lot for these groups (which we have)... I'm talking about REAL events. NONE. It's a black-fest this or that, or in the burbs, it's some kind of white bubba-fest thing.

The multi-cultural stuff you hear about here is limited to foreign owned businesses along Buford Highway or parts of Smyrna, but not actual CULTURAL events for these groups. So no - Atlanta 'aint no New York City of the South. Harlem mixed with a little East Hamptons (Buckhead) maybe - but certainly no New York. A Latino friend of mine from South America once half jokingly said Atlanta should put welcome signs up as you enter the city saying, "Welcome to Atlanta - black and white welcome, no others need apply".

Greg,

If you want Latino fest go to Duluth Gwinnett Center once a year.
Cinco de Mayo. They rope off the grounds and have food and fun. You can get good food from Paco himself that will fill your tummy and provide more gas than Exxon for a week

Then in Norcross you will have the Chinese New Year celebrations. Small but again, some entertainment and food.

Woops! in Koreatown, aka Duluth Pleasant Hill area there is everything Korean from the Plaza to the food. Darn I talk about food alot.

I see your point on the black / white thing, but the diversity is out there, you just have to find it. Don't have to look to far. Besides, I would not count on the white comment. This year alone the school enrollment in the 10 county area is 64% non-white!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia
Greg,

If you want Latino fest go to Duluth Gwinnett Center once a year.
Cinco de Mayo. They rope off the grounds and have food and fun. You can get good food from Paco himself that will fill your tummy and provide more gas than Exxon for a week

Then in Norcross you will have the Chinese New Year celebrations. Small but again, some entertainment and food.

Woops! in Koreatown, aka Duluth Pleasant Hill area there is everything Korean from the Plaza to the food.

Ah, but see... you're talking about Duluth, Norcross, etc... I'm saying that *Atlanta* has very little observation of any other nationality other than black American. In the satellite cities (run by their own separate governments), you occasionally do see these activities, but if you live in the actual city of Atlanta, unfortunately, 98% of the time you see an event advertised as "cultural" it usually means "black only".

Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127
Ah, but see... you're talking about Duluth, Norcross, etc... I'm saying that *Atlanta* has very little observation of any other nationality other than black American. In the satellite cities (run by their own separate governments), you occasionally do see these activities, but if you live in the actual city of Atlanta, unfortunately, 98% of the time you see an event advertised as "cultural" it usually means "black only".

On that you are correct. But as long as you have Queen Shirley Franklin and those of her ilk (being racist, Jesse Jackson, Black Panther supporters) you won't see anything but radical black.
Keep in mind, this is the so-called leader (take race away) who fought against the aquirium, who faught "for" agressive panhandling by felons and addicts outside the Underground and Coke. So bad, that Coke is moving their World of Coke tour, and we all know you don't frequent the Underground past 3pm.
It's sad, I love Georgia and Atlanta, which has so much potential. But thanks to the current administration, and the future prison inmate before, average folks of all races will continue to move to the burbs.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:14 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
I hate to disagree. I used to go to school in Midtown. It was a dump. Ten years later, it revitalizes extremely. In fact, the city of Atlanta just increase by 20,000 resident this year alone. Atlantic Station is great success. Only wish I have money to live there.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I hate to disagree. I used to go to school in Midtown. It was a dump. Ten years later, it revitalizes extremely. In fact, the city of Atlanta just increase by 20,000 resident this year alone. Atlantic Station is great success. Only wish I have money to live there.
Think about it, though. Atlantic Station is separated by the city by the connector - many lanes of traffic. Only a bridge being the main artery into it. Very expensive. Very clean. A "Disney world" within Atlanta, and it does not represent a typical inner-Atlanta neighborhood. Even with all of this sanitized living however, they have already arrested one Jeweler of criminal charges who had a shop there, as well as a recent arrest of a Rap star around there for drug charges. (typical Atlanta day).

Regarding Georgia's comment about the administration: The last several Mayors here have been black. With each election, they hire black police chiefs, black fire chiefs, and many if not nearly all of the higher city positions are staffed by friends, relatives, or relations of the current crops of leaders - again, mostly black. This has gone on since Maynard Jackson took office in the 70s. It is funny that if we had a white mayor with a majority white cabinet, people would march and raise hell saying that they were discriminating with their hiring practices, yet, you can have a majority black cabinet and that is ok (?). But the point is that decades ago, the city was run by a white redneckish "Good old boy" system - today, you're just dealing with the same problem, different color - a black good old boy "pat my back I'll pat yours" system.

I would LOVE to see a White, Hispanic, or Asian man or women become the next Mayor of Atlanta - if anything just to see how the city climate would change if such a thing happened. But if no one with enough support ever steps up to the plate to RUN for office, you can only expect more of the same ole, same ole. Think "Old New Orleans only larger", and you have the idea right about the politics here. ;-)

Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM

I went to school in midtown before Olypmic. My school is next to big public housing project. Everytimes I walk to Marta, I was asked for money and was afraid for my life. Now, it is in the middle of high risers. I couldn't even afford to buy a condo there. It is a lot more safer than before. This is my personal experience.

Here is my view of politics in Georgia.

The city of Atlanta is very liberal, black, urban, pro-gay, pro-abortion Democracy.

The rest of state is very conservative, white, rural, anti-gay, anti-abortion Republican.

So what you got is people like conservative like Neal Noortz and others blame the city not what matter what they do. On the other hand, the city of atlanta blame wealthy neighborhood like North Fulton not paying their fair shares.

It is very much crash of culture there.

Last edited by Marka; 08-18-2006 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-25-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
The only reason Atlanta grew by and estimated 17,500 folks is because the majority moved to the Lennox North area and don't forget Atlanta won it's demand to annex another piece of Fulton County proper, thus the growth.
Atlanta City is no different than Detroit, MI, Camden, NJ, and Newark,NJ.
Come 5pm your traffic jams are people fleeing to the burbs.

The only thing to date that has breathed a little life to the city is the Aquarium and that project was fought tooth and nail by Queen Shirley until the fella just used his own money to build it. Then when he attempted to quell the panhandling assault on the sightseeing public (bringing millions in revenue to the Queen) she went on the local news and made the comment on how this new "playground for the rich" is pushing to remove the "poor folks who did not benefit from life's lottery" off the streets.

Yep, with a mindset like that, and lets not forget she garnered 87% of the re-election vote, Atlanta looks like it's on the way to prosperity fast! Wrong!

It all gets down to one thing. A Mayor must "love" the city of which they serve and serve for the city, not themselves to benefit and their croneys.
All one needs to do is look at certain cities. NYC comes to mind when Rudy took over. Went from dangerous slum to the most desirable city in America. Yes, he was Republican.

Then you can look at Philadelphia. In the late 90's Rendell won the Mayorship and Philly raked in millions from tourism, it was a fun city. Old Town, Chinatown, you could walk any hours of the day or night without worry. Christopher Columbus Blvd was happening and Rendell is a Liberal Democrat. Then comes John Street. A former felon, currupt, twice Bankrupt moron. His first attempt? To rename (failed, thankfully) Christopher Columbus Blvd, because he was nothing but a racist This coming from a new Mayor who was a former Black Panther. Oxy Moron anyone? Today, Philly is a festering, filthy, borderline bankrupt city and dangerous as heck.

Again, an elected city official must love their city more than they love themselves.

Where is Shirley today? Touring Communist China on the taxpayers dime...

Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 AM

I think if one mixed politics with the location, you generalize the issue.

I guess that one should never live in East Cobb because they used to elect crazy person like Newt Gingrich.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:59 PM

45 posts, read 61,351 times
I'm not one to get into a politcal conversation on a forum, but I will say that the growth in Atlanta is in direct result to the positive establishment of well qualified and successful businesses and its employees to the state. Not only has Atlanta grown, but like tentacles this growth has spread into counties and cities in over a 100 mile radius of the heart. Gwinnett county in itself has seen monumental growth and has now established its own university. The first of its kind in over 100 years. The mass transit planned for Atlanta is also a direct reflexion of the City, its commissioners and its patrons.
Well it seems like we are all talking about the same thing these days. I am a Realtor with RE/MAX. Now to speak with reference to the area here in Midtown, Atlantic Station and the surrounding areas I think I would have to agree with the majority in saying that you are making the right choice in the area. I personally live in the Highlands, which is adjacent to midtown and buckhead. It all depends on the type of life that you intend on living.
The luxurious glamorous club hitting night life could and would be found in Buckhead. Although I would say that it is getting somewhat spread out these days. Midtown is more artistic. This area has been revitalized by taking many of the old historic sites and converting them into lofts and high rise apartment complexes. The Highlands is where I feel most at home due to its very relaxed surroundings, neighborly people and fantastic music scene. I also chose this area because I am not one to line in a high rise or apartment complex. I chose to live in a home built in 1938 that has been refurbished. Many homes in the area retail for no less than $569k. This varies as does the character of each home.
A great segue for invesment opportunities and transitional areas. You will hear locals speak of Inman Park, Emory, Briarcliff, Old Fourth Ward, Atlantic Station and other sects around the municipalities I have already mentioned. With the exception of Emory and Briarcliff all the areas are experiencing revitalization, growth and transition. You can find great deals, but you may have to cope with some transition.
With respect to pricing you can find anything, but you have to know where to look. I read somewhere $329k in Atlantic. That's about right, but there are other places near and around Atlantic that are positive investments.
Well I feel that this is enough advice from a professional in the industry. I think you have made a wise life choice and financially profitable decision. There are folks coming from everywhere to gain from the lifestyle and opportunities.

I wish you the best and feel free to contact me to chat. I love to share my education and knowledge. It is a great pleasure for me to release the burden of holding this information in Good Luck!

Sincerely,

David M. Figueroa
[cut]

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta