Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 34,116 times

Advertisements

My friend and I will be moving to Atlanta in the next 12 months and have a few questions. This forum has been VERY helpful in narrowing down some of the places we'd like to live. We're in our late 20s, both single, from NJ (but really cool), not looking for a party town, but definitely not a quiet one either. One of my priorities is living close to the MARTA line (walking distance of any station). We're currently job hunting, but it's really difficult during these times AND employers seem to shy away from someone who "hasn't relocated yet". I'm in the Pharmaceuticals/Finance industry and my friend is in the Social Services industry. Anyway, we can't decide between Dunwoody, Smyrna, Decatur, and Sandy Springs. Oh, and we'll most likely be renting when we first get there. We're not high-maintenanced...C'mon, we're from Jersey! Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,302,900 times
Why'd you have to qualify the "from NJ" with "(but really cool)"??? I'm from NJ originally too, but don't have to defend that with a qualifier....lol

Pharma is virtually non-existent down here- you don't realize that it's a heavily regional thing centered in NJ until you leave the area- so don't count on anything in that field other than possibly a sales rep position.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why'd you have to qualify the "from NJ" with "(but really cool)"??? I'm from NJ originally too, but don't have to defend that with a qualifier....lol
Forgive me! NJ is ok. What part? I'm from the greater Philly area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Pharma is virtually non-existent down here- you don't realize that it's a heavily regional thing centered in NJ until you leave the area- so don't count on anything in that field other than possibly a sales rep position.
There are a great number of Sales positions with some leaders in the industry, but I have little Outside Sales experience, UGH!! I'm truly open to any opportunity! I have a TV/Radio and Spanish degree. It's just hard to find adequate pay in Radio. I'll have to think of something.

Bob, do you have any suggestions on suburbs to reside? Especially for young renters like ourselves? Also, what industries ARE abundant down there? I'll be visiting the last week/weekend of August.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,723,625 times
No MARTA in Smyrna. I'd look into Decatur and Dunwoody, with Dunwoody tipping the scales, only because you're close to "Pill Hill" hospital area and you could network close to your home. Tons of young professionals live in the Perimeter Mall area and there are loads of nice apartments with great deals. Decatur is fun too, more hip, but kind of out of the way when it comes to driving anywhere else in Atlanta. Close to Emory, Virginia Highlands and more of an Intown Feel. Both areas are worth checking out. To those who say there are no jobs, there are jobs, they are hard to come by, and OP is right that you do have to have a local address and phone number to get a response. You have to come and network your tail off. I'm tired of people on this board saying there are no jobs. That's like saying there are no men/women, etc. Life is hard, times are tough but if you bust your $*@& and seek out opportunities you'll find them. Good luck to you!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
No MARTA in Smyrna.
SHUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I'd look into Decatur and Dunwoody, with Dunwoody tipping the scales, only because you're close to "Pill Hill" hospital area and you could network close to your home. Tons of young professionals live in the Perimeter Mall area and there are loads of nice apartments with great deals. Decatur is fun too, more hip, but kind of out of the way when it comes to driving anywhere else in Atlanta. Close to Emory, Virginia Highlands and more of an Intown Feel.
Thanks, Sweettea! Decatur and Dunwoody are on my list!! Any thoughts on Sandy Springs??

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,263,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyT View Post
Anyway, we can't decide between Dunwoody, Smyrna, Decatur, and Sandy Springs. Oh, and we'll most likely be renting when we first get there. We're not high-maintenanced...C'mon, we're from Jersey! Any help would be great!
Decatur is a small town -- and it feels like a small college town (actually it is, Agnes Scott College is in Decatur and Emory University is very nearby) -- very vibrant and eclectic. You can walk to just about everything. They have concerts on the courthouse square, annual festivals, great little shops and restaurants. Nice parks too.

Sandy Springs is like a vast strip mall (sorry, bit of bias showing there but it's true). It has lots of great amenities but the ambience is seriously lacking.

Dunwoody is just very, very suburban.

If you end up working on the northside (or just really enjoy driving -- or, rather, sitting in a running car while at a dead stop), you'll get a bit more for your money in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. If you prefer a more pedestrian-friendly and progressive lifestyle (they even have scooter parking spaces!), you might like Decatur more. It really depends on what appeals to you. All three are nice, popular parts of town. You should visit each, drive around, and see which one "speaks" to you.

Good luck. (Oh, and as everyone always says -- please make sure you find a job first. Georgia has higher unemployment than the national average and moving to a new city without a reliable source of income is very dangerous. There have been plenty of horror stories on this board from people who moved here, went through their life savings, and then moved back where they originally came from.)

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Good luck. (Oh, and as everyone always says -- please make sure you find a job first. Georgia has higher unemployment than the national average and moving to a new city without a reliable source of income is very dangerous. There have been plenty of horror stories on this board from people who moved here, went through their life savings, and then moved back where they originally came from.)
Trust me! I'm lookin! The younger me would have spontaneously did this, but the 27y/o me is being cautious! Thanks for the tips Intown! I appreciate it!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 PM

642 posts, read 2,214,372 times
I'm from Jersey also and proud of it always in spite of Thursdays arrest news. Let me just say unequivically to find a job first before even thinking about moving to this joint. I know that rep about Atlanta as the place to make it happen and the land of opportunity is still out there, but it also now the land of opprtunity to do really poorly. That's real. And then if/when you manage to find gainful employment you should start to think about locations in which to live. Cause trust me you DO NOT want to be too far away from your job. It's not like home. Like someone pointed out to you above Marta doesn't go to Smyrna. Well there are several areas it doesn't service actually.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
I'm from Jersey also and proud of it always in spite of Thursdays arrest news.
Don't get me wrong! I love my state, too. I even have a clothing line based around it! JerseyTrashClothing.com - shameless plug!

Quote:
Let me just say unequivically to find a job first before even thinking about moving to this joint.
I totally agree. I won't even think about moving somewhere unless I have something locked in. There's just a few neighborhoods I'm completely interested in and I shall soon find out what they're really like when I come to visit.

Quote:
Cause trust me you DO NOT want to be too far away from your job. It's not like home. Like someone pointed out to you above Marta doesn't go to Smyrna. Well there are several areas it doesn't service actually.
I'm trying to find a fun, laid back city where i won't need a car, though my friend has one in case of emergencies. I have about 5 cities I'm interested in and Atlanta is completely different from the others (they're all in the Southwest).

Thanks for all the info Kayrob. How long ago did you relocate to Georgia? How was that transition? I'm in the south jersey area and it is getting so built up! Farmland? What's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta