Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
My husband works in Fulton and we live in Gwinnett. It's less than 10 minutes away. It really depends on where you live.
True, let me put it another way.
find where you work and get a drafting compass.
Measure out 20 miles and draw the circle. There you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times
Hello everyone, I'm planning on moving to Georgia from Denver, Colorado. We are a black family never lived in the south, which counties of Atlanta is the best and safest for two teenage boys. Thank you :-)

Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Base your decision on where you work like some of the others said.

That being said, Vinings is another nice area.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknlovelyXenia View Post
Hello everyone, I'm planning on moving to Georgia from Denver, Colorado. We are a black family never lived in the south, which counties of Atlanta is the best and safest for two teenage boys. Thank you :-)
Please start a new thread for this, one thread per poster. Are you looking for a mixed area with wealthy black families and wealthy white families? If so, Smyrna would be a good choice. However you really need to decide based on where you are working. Please look at the sticky thread and create a new thread answering all the questions.

1. Budget (Buy/rent)?
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:08 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknlovelyXenia View Post
You will get more and better responses starting your own thread.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATLCindy View Post
I agree that you should get your job first, then decide where to live. If you end up working in Buckhead, Downtown, Midtown, Vinings, or Smyrna, then consider NW Atlanta: Whittier Mill Village, Riverside, Vinings on the Chattahoochee--these are all great Intown neighborhoods that are affordable and (for Atlanta) safe.
I don't think that's horrible advice, schools and taxes aside. Whittier Mill Village is a historic neighborhood but as far as how nice it is, it has done well from being close to Smyrnings ("West Vinings") development and benefited from that, including new upper middle income development bordering Smyrna as a result, which is very Smyrnings-ish in design. It just happens to be on the Atlanta side of the river so it has Atlanta schools and taxes. It's also not too far from Buckhead and a longer established neighborhood in a recently gentrified part of NW Atlanta. It was nice long before the surrounding neighborhoods got nicer.

You don't have kids now probably (maybe you do, who knows) but if you ever do... I'd make sure if you go this route that you have money set aside for your kids to go to private elementary schools until middle school, then you can then send your kids to public (Sutton Middle & North Atlanta HS - both Buckhead schools) or I'd stay on the Smyrna side of the river where you can send the kids to public elementary, at least until they are in middle school.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-02-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta