Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,671,725 times

Advertisements

The Beat repeat is hilarious.

I remember, when I used to go to school at 9 or 10ish, when I left for lunch @ 12 or 1, the same song would come on again like clockwork.

97.1 Jamz was a good station until they canned it.

I have XM and I don't think I can ever go back. Just riding in a car without it is annoying. Commericals every min, dj's talkin...Just give me the music!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM

642 posts, read 2,212,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
750 WSB is the only non-satellite station I listen to and I recommend it to everyone. Sirus/XM or an mp3 player is the only way to go for music. Once you are used to commercial free music, having 5+ stations of each type of music, and better sound quality you will never want to go back.
Yeah that's cool if you're into angry, right wing radio. I mean that WSB. No balance whatsoever.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 PM

642 posts, read 2,212,717 times
I agree. Sometimes at stuck at work listening to that V103. That station stinks. Same songs over and over all day. And if you're not Atlanta based or at least Southern, good luck getting played on there. But at least now I know songs by Keri Hilson, Drake and whoever recorded that Day and Night crap. Never would have heard them otherwise. I think that station is the only so called urban station that can be picked up in a lot of office buildings in the area. But when I'm commuting I generally listen to Steve Harvey in the morning and crazy Michael Baisden in the evenings, They play some music with a variety to it. Especially Baisden. I get to hear a lot of old school R&B songs that I don't hear too often rather than something for the 4th time during a work shift.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 AM

360 posts, read 1,007,614 times
1690 AM is a TERRIFIC station. It's out of Avondale, and they play a wide variety of music. And they have cool features such as bird calls, comedy tracks and clips from old news broadcasts.

I can't tell you enough about how great 1690 AM is.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM

188 posts, read 677,887 times
I am surprised that no one here has mentioned Q100 (FM 99.7). I usually listen to Bert's show in the morning. I know you are talking about music in general and theirs is a talk show but they are fun to hear. My only problem with them is their commercial breaks are too long and they do a huge build up of any story they cover.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 AM

235 posts, read 835,294 times
Satellite Radio or your own CDs. Atlanta radio is way too limited. I will listen to talk radio stations for news and traffic and rarely I listen to music on FM.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 PM

927 posts, read 2,217,554 times
what? 99x is back?!! I thought they replaced it with the 100.5 frequency, which has a bit more classic rock. I've been wanting to hear my 90s alternative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Atlanta definitely does not have a whole lot for great stations, but the two I stick to are 92.9 DaveFM, and 99x (97.9).

DaveFM plays some pretty varied stuff, from Bob Dylan to the B52s to 311. There's not much repeat except for whatever the popular song of the week is, which yes, they do repeat a lot (right now it's Green Day Twenty One Guns, which I despise).

99x is more alternative. They just came back on the air after a stint as an online station. Just after they came on the air, I listened to them non-stop because they were playing good 90's and modern alternative. Now they've slipped a little more into the "Hey look at us...we play weird stuff" phase, but it's still a pretty decent station.

Other than that...yeah...it's lacking.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,300,180 times
Yeah, commercial radio is bad no matter where you are. However I still fimly believe that Atlanta has one of the best assortments of indie radio stations in the country given the large concentration of universities here. For example:
  • 88.5 WRAS: GSU's station, which is highly regarded nationwide as one of the best indie stations. A lot of indie bands/underground hip hop acts from across the country send their CDs directly to the station as a litmus test for audience approval. They have also been responsible for breaking acts that are now internationally known like REM and Outkast.
  • 89.3 WRFG: Radio Free Georgia is an indie station based in Little Five Points that has a variety of shows playing every genre from bluegrass to hip hop to reggae to world beat. They also get broadcasts from Pacifica Radio in the Bay Area every afternoon.
  • 91.9 WCLK: Clark Atlanta University's station plays mostly jazz but during the weekends will play reggae and Afro Latin music.
  • 91.1 WREK: Georgia Tech's station. Plays a wide variety of music.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM

927 posts, read 2,217,554 times
ITA south-to-west, and I think this is true especially comparing it to other large metros. Smaller markets can be more diverse because they are more apt to be locally owned. Larger metros have a lot of corporate control and will consequently be very formulaic.

And Atlanta is not that bad depending on your interest. In New York, which is Corporation Capital and prone to commercialize everything, I was hard-pressed to find a decent alternative rock station. The one rock station I could listen to got bought out and without warning became top 40 (which really means top 5). Literally they played Metallica or something one minute and the next track was Lady Gaga...I was confused as all get out.

The hip hop stations in NYC had even less diversity than Atlanta's urban stations, and they have even fewer urban stations despite being a larger market than Atlanta. Likewise in LA, they play the same commercial hip hop over and over, and whatever little music movement they have going on (whether it was Hyphe a few years back or Jerkin' now) they don't give enough shine to local artists to really make their stations different than other urban radio. I have to give Atlanta props for giving their local hip hop artists some play and diversifying a bit. It was certainly refreshing to hear when I moved back down here from NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yeah, commercial radio is bad no matter where you are. However I still fimly believe that Atlanta has one of the best assortments of indie radio stations in the country given the large concentration of universities here. For example:
  • 88.5 WRAS: GSU's station, which is highly regarded nationwide as one of the best indie stations. A lot of indie bands/underground hip hop acts from across the country send their CDs directly to the station as a litmus test for audience approval. They have also been responsible for breaking acts that are now internationally known like REM and Outkast.
  • 89.3 WRFG: Radio Free Georgia is an indie station based in Little Five Points that has a variety of shows playing every genre from bluegrass to hip hop to reggae to world beat. They also get broadcasts from Pacifica Radio in the Bay Area every afternoon.
  • 91.9 WCLK: Clark Atlanta University's station plays mostly jazz but during the weekends will play reggae and Afro Latin music.
  • 91.1 WREK: Georgia Tech's station. Plays a wide variety of music.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,285,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Yeah that's cool if you're into angry, right wing radio. I mean that WSB. No balance whatsoever.
For me, WSB 750's only saving grace is that it has the Clark Howard show, which is practically a life-saver to me when it comes to fiduciary schooling. Other than that, the rest of the programming comes off to me as the Confederacy Daily News, no offense to my fellow right-wing Atlantans/Georgians of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta