Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I should have clarified. By "urban" I was referring to the hip hop and R &B stations 105.1 and Hot 97.

I listed to 107.5 regularly and am very familiar with it. 107.5 is actually an example of my overall point. Which is that larger markets have more corporate control and less local flavor, and comparing Atlanta to these "large" markets, Atlanta is not as bad as some may believe. NY's 107.5 had corporate-owned nationally syndicated programs for virtually all of its shows (Steve Harvey in the morning, Wendy Williams in the afternoon drive, and Brian McKnight late night) so their music and programming were all things I could hear in other major cities. There was much less local flavor on 107.5.

Even though Atlanta is a much smaller market, they have just as many if not more "black" stations than New York City. Compared to NYC's four stations for black music, Atlanta has 5 focused on hip-hop, old-school music, and R&B (technically 4 since one station is on two frequencies) V-103, Hot 107.9, 107.5/97.5, and 104.1. The 102.5 frequency keeps changing so I'm not sure if it's still a R&B format, but that was another station we had for awhile. You could also count 95.5 the Beat, even though they started off as Top 40.

All in all, Atlanta is doing pretty well compared to the metros I mentioned, and I personally have found it to offer more diversity and more prone to feature local talent and programming.
I think the local talent is the problem. I know ppl that are born and reaised in Atlanta and pay for Xm because of the local "talent"......IMO Atlanta's local talent isnt cutting it for me at all.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I think the local talent is the problem. I know ppl that are born and reaised in Atlanta and pay for Xm because of the local "talent"......IMO Atlanta's local talent isnt cutting it for me at all.
Yeah, a lot of people can't get down with it, yet a lot of folks do, which is why they're successfull. I personally appreciate the "southunness" of it all. It was a nice breather from the commercial rap and Fabolous-Jada-rinse repeat cycle of NYC hip-hop, since they hardly had any other new Northern rap artists with new material to showcase.

Believe it or not, they play Atlanta and other southern artists quite a bit outside of the South. I heard basically all the songs I hear in the A in New York before I came back down here, and my friend's roommate in Harlem was addicted to Swag Surfin before I even cared for it. There was always a Southern section of a DJ mix virtually every day I was in New York with all my ATL jams...used to take me back home .

Detroit is also prone to play A LOT of Southern music. You would think you were right in Atlanta. And these are just the cities whose music I heard regularly enough. I'm sure it's like that in other places as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,811 times
Quote:
...my friend's roommate in Harlem was addicted to Swag Surfin before I even cared for it.
There's some Southern hip hop I like, but Swag Surfin has gotten on my damn nerves. It never leaves my head...kind of like that "Hey Bay Bay" song.

I like more of the older, more established cats like Outkast (the greatest), CeeLo and Goodie Mob, UGK (RIP Pimp C), Scarface, and TI. It's so funny how the music scene has evolved since I've moved here nearly 10 years ago. When I first got here it was all Lil Jon (Bia Bia), Pastor Troy (We Ready), and Baby D (Eastside Westside).

I think it's also worth noting that the South has a lot of great underground acts like Lil Brother in NC and even Danger Mouse--who is from Decatur.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
YBF

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people can't get down with it, yet a lot of folks do, which is why they're successfull. I personally appreciate the "southunness" of it all. It was a nice breather from the commercial rap and Fabolous-Jada-rinse repeat cycle of NYC hip-hop, since they hardly had any other new Northern rap artists with new material to showcase.

Believe it or not, they play Atlanta and other southern artists quite a bit outside of the South. I heard basically all the songs I hear in the A in New York before I came back down here, and my friend's roommate in Harlem was addicted to Swag Surfin before I even cared for it. There was always a Southern section of a DJ mix virtually every day I was in New York with all my ATL jams...used to take me back home .

Detroit is also prone to play A LOT of Southern music. You would think you were right in Atlanta. And these are just the cities whose music I heard regularly enough. I'm sure it's like that in other places as well.
Its not southern artists/music that is the problem its Atlanta's local talent. And they are NOT successful btw. Major artist are having problems moving units so what do you think these ppl like F.L.Y. are moving NOTHING!!!! They have a video in rotation on 106 and Park which is why their song would ever be played in NY or another city but for all the other local artist without a deal that Atlanta stations play....no one outside of Atlanta knows anything about them or cares. But guess what Fabolous Jada and the rest of them "rinse repeat cycle of NYC hip-hop" artist as you call them are being played everywhere and if you are into hiphop you have heard of them. Its cool you have love for your city and its music but it doesnt do it for me Im not 15 so Soulja Boy and the like are goin to have to come better to get my support...ringtone music is for kids

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Atlanta does have some talent on ther air. We have The Regular Guys, Frank Ski and Wanda.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 AM

The discussion was not about how many units these artists move, but whether or not local Atlanta artists get played outside of Atlanta. And they do, very often in fact. This is not a NY vs. Atl music quality debate, I'm simply informing you that very many Atlanta artists, whether they have a deal or not, are being played elsewhere.

Quote:
Its not southern artists/music that is the problem its Atlanta's local talent. And they are NOT successful btw. Major artist are having problems moving units so what do you think these ppl like F.L.Y. are moving NOTHING!!!! They have a video in rotation on 106 and Park which is why their song would ever be played in NY or another city but for all the other local artist without a deal that Atlanta stations play....no one outside of Atlanta knows anything about them or cares. But guess what Fabolous Jada and the rest of them "rinse repeat cycle of NYC hip-hop" artist as you call them are being played everywhere and if you are into hiphop you have heard of them. Its cool you have love for your city and its music but it doesnt do it for me Im not 15 so Soulja Boy and the like are goin to have to come better to get my support...ringtone music is for kids

Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
YBF

Quote:
The discussion was not about how many units these artists move, but whether or not local Atlanta artists get played outside of Atlanta. And they do, very often in fact. This is not a NY vs. Atl music quality debate, I'm simply informing you that very many Atlanta artists, whether they have a deal or not, are being played elsewhere.
Youre right its not but I still stand by my original statement. That these local unsigned artist are not played outside of Atlanta. Most radio stations have a list of what they are playing right now so find me an unsigned local Atlanta artist being played in NY or any other Major city. And Atlantas radio stations DO SUCK!!! Sorry but they do

Last edited by YBF; 08-05-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Which local unsigned artists are you referring to? Pretty much everyone you hear is signed by, guess what, a New York or L.A based record company. Clearly they knew about them and signed them.

Quote:
Youre right its not but I still stand by my original statement. That these local unsigned artist are not played outside of Atlanta. Most radio stations have a list of what they are playing right now so find me an unsigned local Atlanta artist being played in NY or any other Major city. And Atlantas radio stations DO SUCK!!! Sorry but they do

Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
YBF

Quote:
Which local unsigned artists are you referring to? Pretty much everyone you hear is signed by, guess what, a New York or L.A based record company. Clearly they knew about them and signed them.
Just to name a few but later when I get home I can post the actual playlist form the stations and you'll see more underground local Atlanta(or I just moved to Atlanta to be a rap star) artists. These artist are waht?????? Local unsigned on the radio ONLY IN ATLANTA....who are these ppl that are played every 10 minutes of every hour?
Them Rich Kids-
My Partna Dem
Durrough-
Ice Cream Paint Job
Stuey Rock-
Ratchet
Jay and Dre City-
Polo
Freak Nasty-
Da' Dip

Clearly youve been away from home too long ...I cant speak for other cities as much but in NY they dont play underground artist in regular rotation if at all.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yeah, commercial radio is bad no matter where you are. However I still fimly believe that Atlanta has one of the best assortments of indie radio stations in the country given the large concentration of universities here. For example:
  • 88.5 WRAS: GSU's station, which is highly regarded nationwide as one of the best indie stations. A lot of indie bands/underground hip hop acts from across the country send their CDs directly to the station as a litmus test for audience approval. They have also been responsible for breaking acts that are now internationally known like REM and Outkast.
  • 89.3 WRFG: Radio Free Georgia is an indie station based in Little Five Points that has a variety of shows playing every genre from bluegrass to hip hop to reggae to world beat. They also get broadcasts from Pacifica Radio in the Bay Area every afternoon.
  • 91.9 WCLK: Clark Atlanta University's station plays mostly jazz but during the weekends will play reggae and Afro Latin music.
  • 91.1 WREK: Georgia Tech's station. Plays a wide variety of music.
All my favorite stations!I don't listen to many commercial stations.I turn my radio most times rather than listen to the garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta