Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,591 times

Advertisements

we are relocating from northeast ohio to atlanta. we live in a very bohemian part of town called highland square, i hear little five points is very similar to our town. here's the catch, both of our jobs are in alpharetta, we are an interacial couple ( i'm black, he's white) and we have a baby on the way! sooo, tolerance, safety, close proximity to work and a hippie kind of place to live would be great! are there any places near alpharetta with the little five points feel or am i asking for too much?! we are open to any suggestions. please help us make the right decision! thanks!!!!oh, also things like how much rent and / or housing is, nightlife, outdoor activities ( we love hiking shops, how hellish of a commute do we have, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ohiomommy13; 07-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,967 times
Alpharetta is a wealthy suburb, and little five points is a grungy artsy fartsy place. Why don't you just live in Alpharetta?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,591 times
I grew up in a wealthy suburb of Cleveland, my husband is more of an artsy- fartsy guy, know of a good compromise?!

Last edited by ohiomommy13; 07-30-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
Ugh, y'all are going to have a hard time. Alpharetta is waaayyyy out there (at least from an intowner's perspective). Honestly, I'm an Atlanta native and a real estate agent and I couldn't even begin to tell you how to get to Alpharetta -- it's that far from intown. Of course, for a bohemian, artistic lifestyle you pretty much have intown or some city other than Atlanta. If there's a L5P-type neighborhood north of the perimeter, I've never heard of it.

Before you make any long-term decision on where to live, I suggest you spend a good deal of time exploring both the northern suburbs (which would be MUCH more convenient for you) and the intown neighborhoods (which sound like what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle). There are lots of great intown neighborhoods, so you could base your decision on the ease with which you can commute to Alpharetta (although I don't see any way that commute is going to be anything but a bear).

Also, just an FYI, you're highly unlikely to find a real estate agent who is an expert on the northern suburbs AND the intown neighborhoods. Do some research on your own to start narrowing down the part of town you like the best before you sign a brokerage agreement with an agent so you get one who has expertise in the part of town you end up in!

Also Little 5 Points is actually an intersection and the name of a business district. The residential neighborhoods on either side of L5P are Inman Park (toward Downtown) and Candler Park (toward Decatur). North of L5P are Virginia-Highland and Druid Hills and South of L5P is the Edgewood neighborhood. Other popular intown neighborhoods in that general vicinity are Morningside, Poncey-Highland, Lake Claire, East Atlanta (also called East Atlanta Village but that's really the business district), Ormewood Park, and Grant Park. There are others, but that's probably enough to be getting on with.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Seriously? Alpharetta begins at exit 7 off 400. We live a little further (Milton), and my son works at Emory. It takes him 30 minutes tops at mid-day. You make it seem like Alpharetta is the boonies!

Ohiomommy, downtown Roswell has a little artsy feel to it, and is right next to Alpharetta. But, if your job is in Alpharetta, you should really start your search right there. Not too much nightlife beyond restaurants and bars, unless something is going on at the Verizon Center. Prices are all over the place, depending on what you want. The Greenway is great for walking or biking, but hiking locales are a bit further out.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 AM

46 posts, read 204,578 times
I agree with Mattie. You can pick something in the center of the northern suburbs, like downtown Roswell, to get a more cultural neighborhoodsy feel. The other thing to keep in mind is that Alpharetta is on 400, so if you pick something along 400 intown, you'll kind of be driving the opposite direction of most traffic while commuting. Maybe look at Dunwoody, the Lenox area, Ansley ... all expensive areas, so it depends on your budget, too. The commute will still be a good 45 minutes if not more in traffic.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
At the very least, the Lindbergh Center area would be the best fit for you and your husband as it's in a central location in the middle of the metro area and is well-served by MARTA. Lindbergh Center is actually a transit-oriented development project around a MARTA station with apartments, shops, offices, and even condos located at the southern tip of Buckhead--just north of Midtown Atlanta. You should be able to find a nice place to rent in the area at an agreeable price. You may even find a single-family home to rent nearby. Overall you'll be able to easily explore the city from this location and find an area suitable in the long term once your lease is up.

Additionally what makes this place a good jumping off point for newcomers is that it has unbelievable access to most points of Metro Atlanta given its central location. The MARTA station that serves it is conveniently located on the North Line--offering direct access to Midtown, Downtown, and the Airport. Also Interstate 85 and Georgia 400--the toll road that goes to Alpharetta (only 50 cents)--are two major regional expressways that directly serve the area.

The best part of this area of course is that you'll be able to commute to Alpharetta in 20 minutes (in the mornings at least) while at the same time being able to get to cool neighborhoods like Little Five Points, Inman Park, and Virginia Highland within minutes.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,234 times
Alpharetta has some great public parks (like: Wills Park) and is very family-, couple-, and single-friendly. North Point mall and adjacent shopping is very convenient. Roswell also has great parks and also several access points to good hiking in Chattahoochee River area. "Old" Roswell has a great vibe. Others have mentioned the terrific in-town neighborhoods to consider. My personal experience is that your mixed-race family will be accepted in any of the areas.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,967 times
Virginia Highlands is also artsy fartsy but it's less grungy and I think is wealthier than many suburbs, even Alpharetta... unless you measure wealth by ugly McMansions. Certainly, the walking/shopping of VH is cooler than Alpharetta.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Alpharetta is a wealthy suburb, and little five points is a grungy artsy fartsy place. Why don't you just live in Alpharetta?
Alpharetta is a very affluent and pretentious suburb that panders to the rich and famous...unfortunately it totally lacks elegance and historical context. Yet another run-of-the-mill-outer-ring-upper-income suburb, much like you'd find in the third ring of any large city in America.

And Little Five Points is inarguable the coolest place on the map between Greenwich Village and the French Quarter, a rich mix of art, theater and commerce, embracing every lifestyle from Rasta and Gothic. It's both a friendly neighborhood and a cultural excursion and destination in itself - it's a newly gentrified area, but the homes are often magnificent and the neighbors are forward thinking progressive types, it's also a nicely racially integrated area of town.

Why don't you just live in Little Five Points?

++++++++++

Seriously, Ansley Park or Virginia Highlands, would be the ideal compromise, IMHO.

Grant Park is another neighborhood to consider, with it's easy access to I-20 and 75/85. As a recently [in the past 20 years] gentrified neighborhood, it is still a bit "rough around the edges", but the homes at the core of Grant Park neighborhood are magnificent, recently restored and renovated to their original grandeur and beauty.

As for the northern suburbs, I don't know. My husband has a couple friends from high school who both lean artsy-fartsy and they both live near downtown Marietta, but we have yet to visit them at their homes, so I really don't know if simply being within close proximity to one another is how they create "community" or if the city itself has something to add to the mix. I suspect the later, but I really don't know. It's not a bad commute to Buckhead and Midtown from Marietta, and they are active in art shows and music venues intown.

[Disclaimer: I am also researching to move to ATL soon, but we have lived in Atlanta previously, have friends and family in Atlanta, and we visit regularly - plus I've put in a lot of time researching the Intown neighborhoods.]

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 07-31-2009 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta