Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM

21 posts, read 68,991 times

Advertisements

Me and 10 others went to Six Flags last weekend. We had a good time although it was hot and there were tons of people who ALSO had the flash pass. Anyway we were there from open to close. We rode Superman, Batman, Goliath, etc (all of them were AWESOME!) We wanted to ride one more ride so we got on the Georgia Cyclone. And oh man it was awful! The ride felt like it was going to fall apart, and your head shook around so much you feel like your head is going to explode. Has ANYONE not complained about this?? I seriously think that the ride is going to kill someone. The human skull can only protect so much and I'm afraid someone is going to ride that ride, and then die a couple of days later due to head trauma. Ex: the actress Natasha Richardson. She hit her head while skiing but this ride shakes your whole brain around. The Ninja ride shook your head a little bit, but the Georgia Cyclone seemed to be 20x worse. If I go back to Six Flags, I WILL NEVER Ride that ride again. Also the ride operators (two young girls) were rude and not friendly. DONT ride this ride!!!

Last edited by CosmoMoon; 07-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: wrong ride name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM

19 posts, read 76,893 times
I too was at Six Flags this past weekend and was VERY impressed by Goliath. This coaster has more air time than any other ride that I have been on. It might even be my new favorite steel coaster. As for your comments about the Cyclone I agree that it was a pretty rough ride. However some of that roughness has to be expected as it is a wooden rollercoaster. Having been on its mirror image (the infamous Coney Island Cyclone) I would say that it was just a little bit more violent than the original. I contribute that mostly to the style of trains that were on the ride as they were far less forgiving then than the Coney Island versions. I had more of a problem with the Ninja than the Cyclone. It was way too rough for a steel rollercoaster. I would say most to give the Cyclone a try as long as you sit towards the front, but to stay away from the Ninja.

Overall being from Ohio and having two world class amusement parks nearby (Kings Island and Cedar Point) it was fairly impressed with the ride quality at Six Flags. I did have issues with the lack of decent flat rides and the poor management that plagues most Six Flags parks. Most of the rollercoasters seemed like they were going way too fast, which contributed to the rough rides on some.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM

184 posts, read 511,086 times
The Georgia Cyclone has been operating safely since 1990. While it does shake you up a bit, that is to be expected with wooden roller coasters. Six Flags other wooden coaster, the Great American Scream Machine, provides a similar experience. The further towards the back you sit the more intense (and the rougher) the ride. If you don't like being shaken up you should stick to steel coasters as they are generally much smoother (Ninja being an exception).

As for the rude operators I would suggest filing a complaint with guest relations. Six Flags has struggled for years with getting quality employees. They are located in a really crappy area so it can be challenging. I'm sure management would be interested as they are doing everything they can to make guests feel more welcome and to make the park more family friendly.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,315 times
When I rode that last October it seemed very typical of a wooden coaster. Not to say that it didn't bother me though, gave me one hell of a headache. But I've had a flux in migraines since I had last gone to an amusement park so it didn't surprise me.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,708 times
Went to Six Flags back in June and can say after riding both the Cyclone and Scream Machine, I noticed a huge difference from riding both these coasters just a short couple of years ago. Very shakey/violent and they used to not be this bad. Can wooden coasters go bad over time? Is it possible they haven't been kept up well?

Forget Ninja, that's a busted ear drum waiting to happen.

Mind Bender is always fun...except that loud "pop" as you're going up the first hill...don't recall that being there before...and I've rode that ride a gazillion times. Kinda worrisome, probably won't ride it again.

I'll admit...I was intimidated by Goliath, but might check it out next time we go. I did ride Batman and it was a pretty smooth ride...

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 AM

184 posts, read 511,086 times
Wood coasters do need a lot of upkeep in order to keep running safely and relatively smoothly. Six Flags over GA does a pretty good job of keeping up with them, unlike some of the other SF parks. In the winter they do a lot of re-tracking. Another thing to consider with wood coasters is that they are much more sensitive to the weather than steel coasters are. Riding a wood coaster first thing in the morning can provide a very different experience than riding later in the day when it has heated up.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,840 times
Yeah, I believe the Cyclone has gotten worse over the years. The last time I rode it it wasn't even enjoyable and I love coasters.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Went to Six Flags back in June and can say after riding both the Cyclone and Scream Machine, I noticed a huge difference from riding both these coasters just a short couple of years ago. Very shakey/violent and they used to not be this bad. Can wooden coasters go bad over time? Is it possible they haven't been kept up well?

Forget Ninja, that's a busted ear drum waiting to happen.

Mind Bender is always fun...except that loud "pop" as you're going up the first hill...don't recall that being there before...and I've rode that ride a gazillion times. Kinda worrisome, probably won't ride it again.

I'll admit...I was intimidated by Goliath, but might check it out next time we go. I did ride Batman and it was a pretty smooth ride...
I used to love Six Flags as a kid. My cousin and I would visit family and go during the summers. I've never been a fan of wooden coasters, other than the Cyclone at Coney Island, so I learned to avoid Scream Machine. As a person with a very slight build, I don't like "air time" on my coasters. As an adult, I went to Six Flags with my husband (before he was my husband), and the combination of:
a. he's too big to fit in a lot of the rides (6'5 300+lbs)
b. Ninja was painful for both of us
We have no reason to ever go again.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM

86 posts, read 497,575 times
The Cyclone is garbage now, I haven't rode that coaster in almost 10 years since all the newer, smoother metal ones have been built. I get absolutely no enjoyment out of that ride, or the scream machine.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
The Cyclone is garbage now, I haven't rode that coaster in almost 10 years since all the newer, smoother metal ones have been built. I get absolutely no enjoyment out of that ride, or the scream machine.
Even though the Cyclone is bumpy, a good wooden coaster totally beats a steel one. The Beast in Ohio is incredible. Speaking of steel, The Ninja might be the worst rollercoaster I've been on. Boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta