Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,790,802 times

Advertisements

Here is the situation in my county just for comparison:

1) Teachers are taking a 2.3% pay cut (a decision at the county level)
2) We now have 3 furlough days (a decision at the state level)
3) 100 teachers were let go at the end of last year (& we were told that the stimulus money saved another 70 jobs, so I guess we might lose another 70 if things don't turn around soon)
4) class sizes are increasing and services for special ed students has been cut
5) our county administration still decided to take a trip to Savannah for meetings that could have been conducted via conference calls (still plenty of waste at the central office level and plenty of high paying jobs there that do absolutely nothing - and I base this on personal experience)

The previous post is correct - they sprang these furlough days on us at the last minute. Believe me, I have been following the news closely since the layoffs happened last spring. I heard talk that the GA state budget was in dire straights and a special legislative session would be needed to fix it. As the summer went on, I heard nothing more so I figured the special session was not going to happen b/c school was starting in less than 2 weeks. Then the news broke that lawmakers avoided the need for a special session (pat themselves on the back) but teachers are going to get 3 furlough days. Districts had to scramble to figure out how to handle this and there are still legal questions about contracts that have already been signed. (by avoiding the special session, lawmakers avoided the actual work of going through all state programs and cutting the waste. No, it's easier just to make blanket cuts)

Then by digging around on another site, I found out that Perdue told school leadership on the conference call that if the state budget doesn't improve by next year to expect 8 more furlough days! (for a total of 10) That means every single teacher workday would be lost. (we will work for free because the work still has to be done)

The killer for many teachers is that many individual districts already implemented pay cuts and in some cases furlough days before we got another whack in the form of furlough days from the state. This all adds up! So we are getting cut at both the state and local level. Some districts are really hitting their teachers hard and some are dipping into reserves to try to hold things together.

Make no mistake, we are crossing the line to where student learning will be impacted by these cuts (and I mean in the form of larger class sizes and reduced services, not "teacher slacking").

Based on many hours of research, I believe it will take a lot longer than early 2010 for the state budget to recover. Hence, we will have more furlough days and more layoffs at the end of this school year. At what point are the citizens of Georgia going to demand better use of our limited education funding and demand an end to the relentless hacking of our state education budget? (primary and college level) Cuts that impact the classroom level should be the last resort, NOT the first as we have seen here.

* Question for my fellow teachers* I still don't understand how some districts can take away the "step raise" portion. I though that was set by the State and only the state could reduce that part? (as opposed to the local supplement portion which is provided by each county).

I still have NO idea if we are getting the step raise here or not. We have received no information about any of this, which makes it impossible to budget. I have no idea who much money I will make next year. Which paychecks will have the reduced amount? How will it all work with both a % cut and furlough days? It's all so frustrating. Will I get the step increase or not? If you are going to pull the rug out from under us, at least give us some information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,977 times
Default Other Jobs

There are lots of math teacher jobs available in Washington, DC. I received a notification just last night of numerous jobs in the public school and charter school systems through www.teachers-teachers.com.

The state was deceitful in how they did this thing. They knew in May that the state budget was busted. Instead of giving us the professional courtesy and announcing their intentions in May and June (and they knew the problems then), they waited until it was time for all of us to report to work. That is CRAP!!! I could have secured work elsewhere had I been given the courtesy of being able to make an informed decision about what is best for me!! If I stay for the rest of this school year, please believe THIS IS MY LAST YEAR TEACHING HERE!!! THIS IS SOME BOOTLEG CRAP--
I don't know about you guys, but I work better than 60 hours per week (40 hours in the classroom and at least four more hours daily) planning and designing lessons that teach these kids what they need!!! They get way more than I get back!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM

293 posts, read 1,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Here is the situation in my county just for comparison:

1) Teachers are taking a 2.3% pay cut (a decision at the county level)
2) We now have 3 furlough days (a decision at the state level)
3) 100 teachers were let go at the end of last year (& we were told that the stimulus money saved another 70 jobs, so I guess we might lose another 70 if things don't turn around soon)
4) class sizes are increasing and services for special ed students has been cut
5) our county administration still decided to take a trip to Savannah for meetings that could have been conducted via conference calls (still plenty of waste at the central office level and plenty of high paying jobs there that do absolutely nothing - and I base this on personal experience)

The previous post is correct - they sprang these furlough days on us at the last minute. Believe me, I have been following the news closely since the layoffs happened last spring. I heard talk that the GA state budget was in dire straights and a special legislative session would be needed to fix it. As the summer went on, I heard nothing more so I figured the special session was not going to happen b/c school was starting in less than 2 weeks. Then the news broke that lawmakers avoided the need for a special session (pat themselves on the back) but teachers are going to get 3 furlough days. Districts had to scramble to figure out how to handle this and there are still legal questions about contracts that have already been signed. (by avoiding the special session, lawmakers avoided the actual work of going through all state programs and cutting the waste. No, it's easier just to make blanket cuts)

Then by digging around on another site, I found out that Perdue told school leadership on the conference call that if the state budget doesn't improve by next year to expect 8 more furlough days! (for a total of 10) That means every single teacher workday would be lost. (we will work for free because the work still has to be done)

The killer for many teachers is that many individual districts already implemented pay cuts and in some cases furlough days before we got another whack in the form of furlough days from the state. This all adds up! So we are getting cut at both the state and local level. Some districts are really hitting their teachers hard and some are dipping into reserves to try to hold things together.

Make no mistake, we are crossing the line to where student learning will be impacted by these cuts (and I mean in the form of larger class sizes and reduced services, not "teacher slacking").

Based on many hours of research, I believe it will take a lot longer than early 2010 for the state budget to recover. Hence, we will have more furlough days and more layoffs at the end of this school year. At what point are the citizens of Georgia going to demand better use of our limited education funding and demand an end to the relentless hacking of our state education budget? (primary and college level) Cuts that impact the classroom level should be the last resort, NOT the first as we have seen here.

* Question for my fellow teachers* I still don't understand how some districts can take away the "step raise" portion. I though that was set by the State and only the state could reduce that part? (as opposed to the local supplement portion which is provided by each county).

I still have NO idea if we are getting the step raise here or not. We have received no information about any of this, which makes it impossible to budget. I have no idea who much money I will make next year. Which paychecks will have the reduced amount? How will it all work with both a % cut and furlough days? It's all so frustrating. Will I get the step increase or not? If you are going to pull the rug out from under us, at least give us some information.
Yes; people are talking about not griping and complaining and be thankful you have a job, blah, blah, blah, but in the end, the KIDS are suffering with the teachers and what kind of person are you not to give a damn about our future? The children did nothing wrong to deserve this and the fact that honestly, to my heart, someone is messing up some money, somewhere. I'm not going to blame it all on the economy, I'm sorry. If that's the case, why are all these high-paying administrative jobs still in tact? You let me know. And no, they are NOT taking any furloughing days. At least not in my county.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
Yes; people are talking about not griping and complaining and be thankful you have a job, blah, blah, blah, but in the end, the KIDS are suffering with the teachers and what kind of person are you not to give a damn about our future? The children did nothing wrong to deserve this and the fact that honestly, to my heart, someone is messing up some money, somewhere. I'm not going to blame it all on the economy, I'm sorry. If that's the case, why are all these high-paying administrative jobs still in tact? You let me know. And no, they are NOT taking any furloughing days. At least not in my county.
The teachers are being asked to take 3 days in which students will not be attending class. These are so-called "teacher work days" and other non-student affecting days. Exactly how is that a disaster for the children?

I don't know about every school district, but I have read that administrators are being asked to take furloughs as well and some districts have laid off administrative personnel.

I wish there was a way not furlough anyone, but when cops and state troopers are being asking to take more than one day per month, I just can't get all upset over 3 non-teaching days.

I don't get a raise this year. I have to suck up some things in my life. It happens. I know you don't want to hear it, but would you really rather be on the unemployment line? Try being thankful for what you do have and the fact that your pain is minimal.

Sorry. Suck it up because I think you're being childish. I guess I'm just mean? I admit it if so.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM

45 posts, read 215,705 times
I have to disagree with the point that kids aren't affected when teachers lose work days. Those days are spent planning FOR the kids and professional learning to help better TEACH the kids. It is also time for getting grades done. With those days gone, we are having to cut into other time to get those things done. this results in stressed out teachers and we are only human- that stress inevitable does effect the kids in not being as patient, not being as prepared, etc.

BUT....
the rest of your post I am complete agreement with. As a family who went through an unemployment time with my husband last year, this is definitely better than losing a job.

I honestly could not say that education is MORE important than other public service workers such as police and firefighters.....they are both equally as important as teachers- just in a different capacity.

I'm kinda over hearing my fellow teachers rant over it. Its done- the timing sucked but at least we are getting a heads up for the ones that appear to be inevitable come January. Continuing to moan and groan keeps you stuck- its a new year, I got a new batch kids, and my 1st graders eyes look up at me ready to be taught. For some of these babies- their own home lives are a mess due to the economy. Their safe haven from many of the stresses occurs the moment they walk into my classroom. I will suck it up and do my job- I went into education for the kids and that will never change.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormomtotots View Post
I have to disagree with the point that kids aren't affected when teachers lose work days. Those days are spent planning FOR the kids and professional learning to help better TEACH the kids. It is also time for getting grades done. With those days gone, we are having to cut into other time to get those things done. this results in stressed out teachers and we are only human- that stress inevitable does effect the kids in not being as patient, not being as prepared, etc.
Of course you may not like my suggestion, but teachers could still perform those tasks on those days....they just don't get paid for those days. I can also understand if they choose not to do so.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:03 PM

45 posts, read 215,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Of course you may not like my suggestion, but teachers could still perform those tasks on those days....they just don't get paid for those days. I can also understand if they choose not to do so.
Not when they lock the doors to the schools! And they would be breaking the law to hold professional training. But some of the others can be done...and many of us did.

Luckily my school did not hold the "lock door" policy on our furlough days. I would say about 85% contract staff did show up those days.

Trust me, MOST teachers complete may of these tasks on their own time to ensure the kids get what they need even without furlough days. And I worry about those teachers that refused to...I don't know how they got their work done.

And all the griping and complaining.....there are some teachers that are really rubbing people the wrong way. Parents don't want to hear the complaining...they are dealing with their own economic issues- they don't need to hear the teachers of their kids grumbling about it.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormomtotots View Post
Not when they lock the doors to the schools!
Planning and grading of papers can be done anywhere...at home, at the public library, etc. I would assume some professional development is done offsite, either at home, the local community college, or other offsite location.

My point being that 3 furlough days, where much of the work could still be done, isn't going to mean the difference between my kids succeeding and failing. If it does, then there is a hell of lot more wrong with the system. Let's all hope this is a one year situation and tax receipts begin to climb with a recovering economy. If so, I hardly see this as a devestating problem for either teachers or students.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM

293 posts, read 1,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Planning and grading of papers can be done anywhere...at home, at the public library, etc. I would assume some professional development is done offsite, either at home, the local community college, or other offsite location. (so I would be doing this AWAY from my contracted work time? I don't think so. Not happening). Those things are a part of your duties and responsibilities during your WORK hours and contracted days. These are definitely words of someone who is NOT in education. You plan with your grade level, not by yourself. Now grading papers? Some people do it at home but I have a family and I am not bringing my work home with me.

My point being that 3 furlough days, where much of the work could still be done, isn't going to mean the difference between my kids succeeding and failing. If it does, then there is a hell of lot more wrong with the system. Let's all hope this is a one year situation and tax receipts begin to climb with a recovering economy. If so, I hardly see this as a devestating problem for either teachers or students.
Well, you know, yes it is better than being in an unemployment line. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so, if I want to rant and rave and be "childish" about it, then so be it. After all, it is "my opinion", and I'm entitled to see it my way as an educator and you are entitled to see it your way as a none-educator. It's not just 3 days...more days in my system are coming. Unless you are in my shoes, there is no possible way that we will ever see eye-to-eye and I do not expect you to in regards to this situation.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM

11,254 posts, read 18,767,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anggilliam View Post
There are lots of math teacher jobs available in Washington, DC. I received a notification just last night of numerous jobs in the public school and charter school systems through www.teachers-teachers.com.
Traditionally math and science have lots of openings. Less true now though still fairly true in most urban districts. Other teachers don't quite have that luxury right now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: