Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,436 times

Advertisements

As a native and lifetime resident of the Atlanta area, I am smiling at the posters hopeful for an experience of diversity in PTC. Of course diversity means different things to different people, but of all the different cities around Atlanta, PTC is pprobably the last one that comes to mind when I hear the word "diversity". PTC is a planned community. It is well-kept and landscaped, and people there seem to really be invested in making it a nice, if somewhat sterile place to live. It has tons of ordinances that control the appearance of the place and limit the activities of the residents (which may not bother many). When Wal-Mart (or was it Home Depot) came to town they had to redesign their architecture and signage to fit in with the PTC codes, for example.

Have you seen the Jim Carey movie "The Truman Show"? The world Truman lived in (the bubble) reminds me of Peachtree City. The sun always shines, the hedges are always manicured, and every family looks like they stepped out of a J. Crew catalog. And they're riding their golf cart past the lake to the cedar- and river-stone-built McDonalds for some salads.

Of course I am exaggerating a bit for effect but that is what I think of when I think of PTC. There is no other city really similar to it around here. I would not live there personally, because it seems rather artificial to me (plus growing up the kids there were so privlidged and obnoxious), but I have a friend who has a condo there and she really likes the area. I think the city offers some nice things depending on what you personally value. I agree with the poster who said that the people there will try to find out info about you if you move there. They will want to know who you are. Perhaps they are guarding their "exclusivity" that way?

Don't expect public transport, lots of diversity (racial, ethnic, economic, sexual orientational, or otherwise), or much exciting nightlife. Decatur wins hands-down for all those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,083 times
well to answer everyone's question,no there r not much diversity there,but henry county was the same way,until about 10 years ago, so because there's not many of us there never let that stop u from moving there,we have thought about moving there,and weather we decide to move in a 300,000 house,or a 85,000 i don't think it matters, or for that fact what u drive,i sometimes think if that's all u have to talk about when encountering someone then that says alot about you,so if you all want to move there i think u should go for it who cares what or how some of them act,i have a visted some of the parks there and have had a nice experience everytime so far we half to start somewhere,if one moves then more will come. yur money live where u want!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 PM

109 posts, read 392,390 times
When I said I experienced the opposite I meant that our neighbors kept to themselves and I did not consider them to be friendly. So if you don't talk to your neighbor you gossip about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta