Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times

Advertisements

Are you aware that GA has a HOPE scholarship?

This scholarship, funded by the Georgia lottery, awards scholarships to students with a 3.0 average that generally cover tuition and some fees and books at GA's public colleges. They give a token amount if your child attends a private college and nothing if they attend an out of state public.

Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview

The result of this is that University of Georgia at Athens and GA Tech have gotten much harder to get into. GA Tech was never really easy, anyway. One thing these schools look for (as do most competitive colleges) is the rigor of a student's schedule. Coming from a school like Centennial, your son will be expected to take challenging courses if he wants to get into GT (which sounds like a great fit) or UGA. If possible, he should consider taking at least one or two AP courses this year, assuming he can get in, and then as many as he can do WELL in his senior year.

There are lots of other public colleges in GA that aren't bad and the tuition offer is hard to refuse. GA Tech is fairly easy to transfer into if you do well at one of these schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayna1965 View Post
Okay hello all. The choice has been made. Centennial High School in Roswell. Renting there for six months and then buying a home. Any thoughts? Anyone know anyone with kids going to Centennial H.S.? Keep the conversation going. Very helpful to me and I am sure others that are in the same situation. My son just wrapped up a college course at DSU in microcomputer applications. 4 credit towards college and he aced it ending up with an A. Very proud of him.
Yes, Centennial High is a great choice. Of the North Fulton High Schools, I would have gone with Centennial or Roswell.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
We are relocating to Atlanta from NY as soon as we can sell our house and Centenniel HS is one we are considering for Freshman son who is going to need special ed services for autism (Asperger's). Keep us posted as to how your transition goes.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 PM

200 posts, read 983,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Are you aware that GA has a HOPE scholarship?

This scholarship, funded by the Georgia lottery, awards scholarships to students with a 3.0 average that generally cover tuition and some fees and books at GA's public colleges. They give a token amount if your child attends a private college and nothing if they attend an out of state public.

Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview

The result of this is that University of Georgia at Athens and GA Tech have gotten much harder to get into. GA Tech was never really easy, anyway. One thing these schools look for (as do most competitive colleges) is the rigor of a student's schedule. Coming from a school like Centennial, your son will be expected to take challenging courses if he wants to get into GT (which sounds like a great fit) or UGA. If possible, he should consider taking at least one or two AP courses this year, assuming he can get in, and then as many as he can do WELL in his senior year.

There are lots of other public colleges in GA that aren't bad and the tuition offer is hard to refuse. GA Tech is fairly easy to transfer into if you do well at one of these schools.
Last Minute Mom, a question about the Hope Scholarship:

Is the Hope Scholarship tied to the parent's financial status? I noticed from the link that you have to submit a FAFSA application. Why would this be required if the Hope Scholarship is not based on family income?

Global Nomad

Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 23,044 times
Thank you all. I have emailed the guidance counselor at Centennial HS as well as the head teachers of some of the clubs my kids may be interested in. I hope they will be able to assist me. I sent them everything I could get my hands on that they would need. I am not physically there yet but I will be prepared. Now just have to have the immunization and dental forms filled out. I was told that can't happen until we are in Georgia. Nevertheless, I am getting copies of the kids medical and dental records. It has been crazy. Packing etc...Now I have to pick a realtor that knows how to sell a house in this market. Eventhough it is crazy, I can't wait to get down there. Meet new people and get settled. I will keep you posted every step of the way. Thanks to all.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
Last Minute Mom, a question about the Hope Scholarship:

Is the Hope Scholarship tied to the parent's financial status? I noticed from the link that you have to submit a FAFSA application. Why would this be required if the Hope Scholarship is not based on family income?

Global Nomad
Most colleges that give merit aid require the FAFSA. I am not sure why. Even if you know you are not eligible for need based aide, colleges want to see the FAFSA.

In this case, I suspect that GA officials want to make sure that families get what they are eligible to attend college. While the HOPE is awesome, it doesn't cover all expenses. My friends, whose children have used HOPE for GT for example, still spend around 12K a year and UGA around 10k. GA officials probably want to make sure that people are aware that there are funds available if they are eligible and need it.

Reducing barriers to attendance is probably the goal.

Also, verifying citizenship and residency as well.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,763 times
I am sorry that I am so late to this board. Living down in Fayette County, I recommend the Fayette County schools, especially Starr's mill. There are several people that I know who have their children attending Starr's Mill part time in their senior year AND taking classes at Clayton State University.For years I avoided driving in downtown Atlanta because of a medical condition, while I worked in the Perimeter Mall area. I drove as far as the Marta Station near the Airport and took Marta to work, because it was a short walk to the office.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 23,044 times
Thank you Larry. Hope all is well.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayna1965 View Post
Okay hello all. The choice has been made. Centennial High School in Roswell. Renting there for six months and then buying a home. Any thoughts? Anyone know anyone with kids going to Centennial H.S.? Keep the conversation going. Very helpful to me and I am sure others that are in the same situation.
Sorry I got behind in following this thread for a bit -- we're in the Centennial district (just across Holcomb Bridge Road from it), but our oldest is just starting 7th grade at Holcomb Bridge Middle School. Lots of neighbors with kids at Centennial, though, and I regularly play disc golf with one of the CHS teachers and we're both on the board of the local disc golf club, so if there are questions you'd like a teacher's perspective on, I can ask him -- may take a few days to get an answer, but I'll do what I can.

Also, feel free to send along any questions about the East Roswell area in general -- we've been here about 4 years now and haven't regretted our decision at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta