U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Baltimore,MD
143 posts, read 393,519 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Tell Me...How's the Living In Atlanta?
I Really Wanna Move To ATL After I Finish School.
I'm 19 Yr's Old I'm Going In To My Jr Year Of College And I Have About 5,000 Saved So Far I Want To Move With About 10-12,000 Just to Hold Me Off Until I Can Find A Job. My friend Is In the Army And Want's to Move To ATL After his Term Is Up Which Is In 2011. He Will Have Plenty Of Money And We Both Will Have Our Own Car's. We Want To Find A Nice Apartment Or Condo In Or Around The City.
My Job I Have Now I Currently Work For The Bored Of Education In My State Of Maryland I Make About 14.00hr And I Have Benifit's And everything.
I Also Take Side Classes At Omega Studios Learning How To Become A Producer.

Me And My Friend Have Heard Alot Of Good Things About Atlanta And Really Wanna Move There I Will Def Do What I Have To Get There I Just Have Question And Concerns.

and most of my question where stated in my intro..
so my fellow City-Data people what's the deal?

Last edited by Mr_Smith89; 08-05-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 34,329,249 times
Reputation: 3605
First off, stoop typing with caps at the start of each word- it's hard to read, and friggin' annoying.

That said, you haven't stated your questions- just your desire to move. $10-12k won't last all that long, and it may take some time to find a decent job. Also, most places won't rent to you without a job and some rental history, so you may have a tough time finding a place to live, unless you're willing to go with private party renters from Craigslist.

What kind of work, other than "producing" are you looking for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
YBF
 
Location: Atlanta, Ga
1,260 posts, read 3,137,660 times
Reputation: 582
OMG I am assuming you are trying to become a hiphop producer....but in any case if your talent is as good as you think it is ppl will find you...dont move to Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you do move here atleast DONT COME WITHOUT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you ever visited Atlanta? What do you know(not what youve heard) at the city? Please VISIT VISIT VISIT 1ST...FIND A JOB SECOND & MOVE LAST!!! Not doing things in this order can really turn sugar to $#!* if you get here dont like it(it wasnt what you expected) and/or cant find a job/run out of money.


Do your research!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM
 
416 posts, read 1,000,373 times
Reputation: 309
What is your degree in? What field would you be looking for work in?
It would be best to line up a few interviews in ATL, and secure a job, Before coming to town to live.
I have a rental property, and I would not rent to someone if they had not secured a job yet (unless perhaps they would pay 6 months of rent in advance).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM
 
6 posts, read 36,430 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Smith89 View Post
... I Currently Work For The Bored Of Education

This is why so many are turning to private schools and home-schooling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 34,329,249 times
Reputation: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta2000 View Post
This is why so many are turning to private schools and home-schooling.
I believe it may have been a play on words, rather than a case of using the wrong spelling. of course, given the caps, and his desire to be a "producer", anything's possible....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 2,025,006 times
Reputation: 747
To actually answer your question, unlike others who want to focus on your grammar, living in Atlanta varies. For living purposes, it is relatively inexpensive compared to other large metros. If you don't have a car and choose to live in the city, it will be pricey. Without steady income, it will be hard to secure your own place like in any other city.

If you choose to live in the suburbs, it's much less expensive, but you will need a car and the traffic getting to and from Atlanta might be a headache depending on where you live. It's not much of a problem for me even though I don't live in the city of Atlanta. Even during peak rush hours, I can travel to work and home in 30 minutes or less.

For your entertainment endeavors, you can't be in a better place as an incoming artist. Once you find the right circles, you will be surprised at how accessible people can be. I think people automatically think LA and NY for music because things are headquartered there, but they don't take into account how hard it is to live as an artist because of their expense and how difficult it is to find mentors, as the top executives are practically untouchable. Industry professionals are much more accessible down here, for whatever reason. ATL is the place to get your foot in the door, and if you've got the drive you can do well and then expand to the larger entertainment capitals.

I definitely agree that you need to start getting the ball rolling with securing a job before moving out. It will take plenty of time before you can pay your bills with an income from producing. Plus there are sooo many producers in Atlanta that you will find yourself amongst A LOT of competition. Still, whatever your passion is, pursue it... and perfect it so that you can stand out.

For your networking, check out Patchwerk Recording Studios' I Do Music event. It's a mixer they do every month and it's great for meeting industry professionals. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Baltimore,MD
143 posts, read 393,519 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
To actually answer your question, unlike others who want to focus on your grammar, living in Atlanta varies. For living purposes, it is relatively inexpensive compared to other large metros. If you don't have a car and choose to live in the city, it will be pricey. Without steady income, it will be hard to secure your own place like in any other city.

If you choose to live in the suburbs, it's much less expensive, but you will need a car and the traffic getting to and from Atlanta might be a headache depending on where you live. It's not much of a problem for me even though I don't live in the city of Atlanta. Even during peak rush hours, I can travel to work and home in 30 minutes or less.

For your entertainment endeavors, you can't be in a better place as an incoming artist. Once you find the right circles, you will be surprised at how accessible people can be. I think people automatically think LA and NY for music because things are headquartered there, but they don't take into account how hard it is to live as an artist because of their expense and how difficult it is to find mentors, as the top executives are practically untouchable. Industry professionals are much more accessible down here, for whatever reason. ATL is the place to get your foot in the door, and if you've got the drive you can do well and then expand to the larger entertainment capitals.

I definitely agree that you need to start getting the ball rolling with securing a job before moving out. It will take plenty of time before you can pay your bills with an income from producing. Plus there are sooo many producers in Atlanta that you will find yourself amongst A LOT of competition. Still, whatever your passion is, pursue it... and perfect it so that you can stand out.

For your networking, check out Patchwerk Recording Studios' I Do Music event. It's a mixer they do every month and it's great for meeting industry professionals. Good luck!
Thank you for the help and not being a a-hole and talking about my grammar. I wasn't going to move with out finding a steady job and with out visiting i wanted to save up $10-$12,000 just to help me just in case I can't find a job. If ATL is not the place for me I might just try Miami with a couple of my friends but thank you and if anything else come's up I'll let you know. Thanks once again
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta native 40 years too long
289 posts, read 470,086 times
Reputation: 77
Many places will rent to you if you post a months rent along with a deposit.

I would look into an apartment complex in buckhead called the darlington. It is in the middle of everything, the bus runs every 8 minutes and is within a few miles of the subway station that will allow you to go anywhere. It is also next to p diddys restaurant where lots of music industry people hang out. But remember, in atlanta everybody is trying to be a producer.

I have not lived at the darlington in 5 years so I can't testify how the current situation is but the rent is usually 700 bucks a month including power/water/gas etc. You might check them out at apartmentratings.com

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Fairburn, GA. (South Fulton County)
293 posts, read 1,027,488 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Smith89 View Post
Tell Me...How's the Living In Atlanta?
I Really Wanna Move To ATL After I Finish School.
I'm 19 Yr's Old I'm Going In To My Jr Year Of College And I Have About 5,000 Saved So Far I Want To Move With About 10-12,000 Just to Hold Me Off Until I Can Find A Job. My friend Is In the Army And Want's to Move To ATL After his Term Is Up Which Is In 2011. He Will Have Plenty Of Money And We Both Will Have Our Own Car's. We Want To Find A Nice Apartment Or Condo In Or Around The City.
My Job I Have Now I Currently Work For The Bored Of Education In My State Of Maryland I Make About 14.00hr And I Have Benifit's And everything.
I Also Take Side Classes At Omega Studios Learning How To Become A Producer.

Me And My Friend Have Heard Alot Of Good Things About Atlanta And Really Wanna Move There I Will Def Do What I Have To Get There I Just Have Question And Concerns.

and most of my question where stated in my intro..
so my fellow City-Data people what's the deal?
First of all, as many people have said before, have a job lined up, regardless of savings.
Secondly, you've really got to proofread what you put on here so people will understand what you are saying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top