Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM

48 posts, read 176,421 times

Advertisements

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/neighbors-108511.html

~This is going to be interesting to see how this all pans out in the end~

Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
I dont get it...why would you want to live in the city but want it to be quiet? That is so stupid to me. I remember when NY start that noise ordinance law in certain areas and thought the same thing what a bunch of idiots.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Excuse me!! I think most midtown residents will take issue with this. We don't expect it quiet all the time but if my windows are rattling because of a business 5 blocks away there is a problem. According to the article there was several high profile shootings in the area during the time the business was open. Midtown residents love living in town but like anyone else don't want to attract crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I dont get it...why would you want to live in the city but want it to be quiet? That is so stupid to me. I remember when NY start that noise ordinance law in certain areas and thought the same thing what a bunch of idiots.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
YBF

How safe is midtown without this club? I dont think that there should be shootings and crime but crime is everywhere in Atlanta and I dont believe that clubs bring crime to an area. I also believe that a city is a place that is vibrant, energetic not matter the hour. If ppl want peace move to the suburbs. But thats JMO

Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM

48 posts, read 176,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Excuse me!! I think most midtown residents will take issue with this. We don't expect it quiet all the time but if my windows are rattling because of a business 5 blocks away there is a problem. According to the article there was several high profile shootings in the area during the time the business was open. Midtown residents love living in town but like anyone else don't want to attract crime.
Please tell me if I'm missing something....within a 5 or so block radius of the area (give or take a few blocks) you have Club Opera, Leopard Lounge, Shout, Django, Verve, Trois, Primal, Door, Taco Mac, etc & several other bars/clubs/restaurants in that area that are open until 3am. There have been 2 shootings at Opera (which is basically right around the corner & behind the new 1010 Midtown Condos), bar fights with most of the aformentioned clubs, drunk party goers walking in the streets after the clubs close (I have witnessed it myself long after Vision closed down). How come there is not a petition to close these clubs down?

I 100% totally understand not wanting noise & wanting to live in a safe neighborhood BUT all the problems mentioned already exist there. I don't think people can totally blame all this on Vision re-opening, because all these issues already exist in that area. If there's a petition to not let Vision re-open, why not have a petition going to have the council NOT re-issue liquor licenses to all the other places that already exist there if the residences want peace at night...that's what I don't get. or am I just totally missing the point here.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM

24 posts, read 53,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
How safe is midtown without this club? I dont think that there should be shootings and crime but crime is everywhere in Atlanta and I dont believe that clubs bring crime to an area. I also believe that a city is a place that is vibrant, energetic not matter the hour. If ppl want peace move to the suburbs. But thats JMO

So you really believe that clubs dont bring thug life scum to the exact surrounding area??

Also, peace might just mean a reduction in gunshots due to the animals killing each other in the streets.. not a quiet library environment.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco0437 View Post
So you really believe that clubs dont bring thug life scum to the exact surrounding area??

Also, peace might just mean a reduction in gunshots due to the animals killing each other in the streets.. not a quiet library environment.
No I dont believe that a club brings "thug life scum" to the area. If you want peace live in the suburbs

Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Should people have to live in suburbs to have peace?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Look at how Buckhead got shut down except for a few yuppie bars. The issue isn't necessarily due to the club goers but to the people that come out at night and cruise. IIRC you got frisked before walking into Vision and at most you'd just see a few people dealing drugs in the corners of the club. Lineman sized bouncers and armed off-duty officers at the door tend to discourage the worst offenders. If you paid significant cover, parking all to buy a $10 drink, you tended to be on decent behavior. Most of the violence tends to take place outside the club or in the streets surrounding it. When Vision was last open, that section of Peachtree was a very different place. 1010 and the Loew's Hotel now stand where 112 was and there were probably 1,000-1,500 fewer residents in the 3-5 block area. I'm sure the 12th & Midtown people would love to get rid of the blighted strip mall that's there now but I don't know if it fits there anymore. The Crescent Ave area is insulated by office buildings (except the 4 Seasons) and now 1010 but virtually nothing but night clubs can survive on those back streets.

As it is when I'm out on my balcony 250ft up the normal street noise is occasionally drowned out by a hooptie pushing out 150 decibels. That's just to show off to the diners at Fresh2Order or Starbucks. Imagine if they think they're impressing some ladies trying to make it into the new Vision. Coupled with how crowded Peachtree already gets on Friday/Saturday and you're looking at a noisy street party. I've been out on Peachtree and been instructed to do the Stanky Legg by some classy people cruising Peachtree more than once in their rented for the weekend ride. Giving people like that an audience of club goers squarely on Peachtree will only lead to more inane motorcycle burnouts, subwoofer bass tests, and hollerin' which is far better suited for Crescent Ave where at least police can concentrate their efforts. Living almost directly above Bulldog's, I never have any noise issues even when you can see the line running halfway around the block. Go to Crescent on a Friday at midnight and you'll see the same few dozen cars circling over and over and music booming everywhere.

I've got nothing against the bars, nightclubs, and restaurants in Midtown right now. I just think reintroducing a club the size of Vision would dramatically change the dynamic of the neighborhood for the worse. For the people who bought on that side of 1010, I hope they visited on the weekends. From what I can tell the entire area gets pretty loud at night. If I want to overpay for cover, enjoy watered down drinks, and get hassled by flashlight wielding bouncers while destroying my hearing I can make my way to Opera just fine. Let Vision forever live on in our hazy drunken memories.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco0437 View Post
orphaned quote
WTH are you talking about?

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-05-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta