Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I think its great!!!! Lots of other citys have clubs around in there downtowns were residents are living and no one is complaining. We need more clubs and bars either downtown or midtown to make the city area live. I think Midtown is a great area for that. Those who are staying at lowes and surronding hotels will have somewhere to go to party without having to drive way out of the city limits to party
I wholeheartedly agree. Many Atlantans need to get out of a certain mindset if they want intown Atlanta to be a true urban landscape.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Have you been to Midtown before. There are numerous clubs within walking distance of that area of peachtree so you never have to drive outside city limits to reach a club. More places are opening too, such as the new authentic Irish pub that just opened in the area as part of 1010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I think its great!!!! Lots of other citys have clubs around in there downtowns were residents are living and no one is complaining. We need more clubs and bars either downtown or midtown to make the city area live. I think Midtown is a great area for that. Those who are staying at lowes and surronding hotels will have somewhere to go to party without having to drive way out of the city limits to party

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,606 times
I think a lot of people are getting 112 night club mixed up with Visions. 112 was right across the street and had a younger, rowdier crowd. To me, Visions had more of a grown and sexy crowd. It had it's bad nights, but for the most part it was cool. I don't remember any shootings there.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Never understood why people keep referring to it as Visions when the club's logo was so clearly Vision. For some reason that just bugs me a lot.

http://www.groundrushmedia.com/images/logos1.gif (broken link)

As for it coming back in 11th St. It's very poor urban planning to put a super club there in the midst of condos and inadequate parking when the rest of the club district is on the other side of Peachtree on Crescent.

It doesn't matter how grown and sexy the crowd is when there's a line of people waiting to get into a club, there's a contingent of people that will loiter outside and cruise by in front hoping to demonstrate how their car or stereo makes them a good candidate for hooking up with. Putting that back on Peachtree is just a bad idea when there are plenty of empty buildings that could hold Vision and cause a smaller impact on the neighborhood. Opera isn't going for a sketchy clientele but there was still a shooting there and Vision used to frisk everyone going in (as they do out at Velvet Room).

These guys are able to make successful clubs out in Chamblee in a strip mall next to a Big Lots and a chinese restaurant or out in West Midtown by a Marta bus depot. There's no reason the club has to be on Peachtree causing congestion into downtown and Buckhead simply b/c it's all by itself and the few surface lot spots will be $20-$40.

Back when Vision and 112 were on Peachtree, you'd get stuck on the 14th Street Bridge for half an hour before spending even more time on 14th St trying to make it to a surface lot to park. If they can just put a cop on the corner to write tickets for every stereo bumping 150dB, sport bike burnout, or cruising the same block for 3 hrs, then maybe I wouldn't care as much since I have fond yet hazy memories of losing my hearing in the Vision of old.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 AM

217 posts, read 408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Never understood why people keep referring to it as Visions when the club's logo was so clearly Vision. For some reason that just bugs me a lot.
Same reason people say that they're going to get groceries at "Kroger's/Krogers," buy a book at "Barnes and Nobles/Noble's" or eat lunch at "Noodles/Noodle's." (I always want to ask if they're going to more than one.)

Anyway, if they want to open a giant club, I don't know why they don't snatch up that former Expo Design Center building right off Piedmont a block south of Lindbergh Drive. It's been sitting empty for at least three years, as far as I know. Maybe Home Depot still owns it. It has a huge parking lot and nothing on either side of it or behind it. It's a block from I-85 in one direction and a block from Lindbergh Center Station in the other. If the owners of the Gold Club could get past the zoning people, surely a variance for a non-nekkid place wouldn't be too tough to get.

The fact that Garson Drive is a short, winding, two-lane street might be a problem though. The cruisers could still get traffic backed up on both Lindbergh and Piedmont.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 AM

325 posts, read 979,539 times
Hmmm...I don't mind the clubs, it's the potential crime it will attract. If they keep it tight, grown & sexy, and well secured, it might not be a bad thing. I never understand how people live DOWNTOWN but don't want a club or some type of business near them. YOU LIVE DOWNTOWN..lol...you shouldve bought something in the burbs if you wanted peace and quiet...lol

Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
This doesn't make any sense, why are they up in arms about Vision's trying to re-open, but Crescent Ave is literally one block east of there and it is filled with clubs and bars. Club Opera, Leopard Lounge, and Sutra among others stay crowded Tuesday-Saturday so I dont see what the big fuss is over Vision's.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM

57 posts, read 143,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
This doesn't make any sense, why are they up in arms about Vision's trying to re-open, but Crescent Ave is literally one block east of there and it is filled with clubs and bars. Club Opera, Leopard Lounge, and Sutra among others stay crowded Tuesday-Saturday so I dont see what the big fuss is over Vision's.
Because you can't easily cruise Crescent over and over!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 72,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I never went to Visions, but I did go to (and enjoyed) Compound.

The West Midtown area IMO is a better setting for large clubs than the heart of the Midtown Mile.

Two things come to mind re: the reopening of Vision at 11th & Peachtree:

1. I don't think the new Loew's hotel will enjoy having this directly across the street from their front door.

2. I am SO glad I don't live within 5 blocks of this club, but I most certainly do feel for the residents that do - particularly new residents of 1010 Peachtree, phase 1 of the 12th & Midtown complex.
People move to Midtown for the nightlife, if not they would have moved to the suburbs. When people visit Atlanta they want to go out and check out the nightlife. The tourist at Loew's will be happy that a world class nightclub is next door. If they dont want to be around the nightlife there are plenty of other hotels outside the city. I think Atlanta has some backwoods people. They move into the city but they also dont want any noise. People in NYC would laugh at us knowing that people move into a city but complain about noise. Why not move to Alpharetta if you dont want any noise. That's the same as someone movin near the airport and complain about the noise from the plane

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 PM

28 posts, read 72,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
This might help to answer one of the clubs.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nightclub.html

This doesnt have anything to do with crime. Some of the gays in Midtown want the new club to have a gay night. The owner has had his success for over 9+ catering to the upscale white/african american crowd and said no.Now they are mad. That is the real reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta