Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 22,817 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in New Jersey with my husband and three children ages (3 mos., 3 yrs, and 11 yrs.). We are a young couple that wants to relocate to Georgia and heard from a friend that Lawrenceville is a nice place for families to live with good schools, affordable living, great restaurants, and other attractions. My husband and I have been applying to jobs and doing some research...but we know nothing about the area. I was looking for homes in the Gwinett area and came across several different apartment complexes on the internet and the comments posted by the tenants were very, very negative. Can someone give me some feedback about Lawrenceville and the area to help us with our decision to move or to stay in NJ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 66,510 times
The Gwinnett County area is a wonderful area u will love it. Very nice. a little prcey but worth every penny. schools are great. I stayed in Norcross for 5 yrs and Cobb County for 5yrs I'm in Milwaukee wiscon now and I dislike living here with a passion, So Atlanta here I come once again to stay forever. Good Luck you've got taste girl.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
Some on this thread are gong to say something negative about Gwinnett, Lawrenceville, Duluth, Snellville, etc... Just go by the schoool district. For Lawrenceville: Brookwood, Peachtree Ridge, Mountainview, Archer, Grayson, and Collins Hill areas are great.
The best area in the Gwinnett, however, is Suwanee - but not necesarilly the best school (N. Gwinnett - which however, is still one of the best schools). The best school is Brookwood, then Parkview, followed by (but necessarilly in this order) N. Gwinnett, Grayson, Norcross, Dacula, Mill Creek, Duluth, Collins Hill, Archer (new), Mountainview (new), Peachtree Ridge.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
The best area in the Gwinnett, however, is Suwanee - but not necesarilly the best school (N. Gwinnett - which however, is still one of the best schools). The best school is Brookwood, then Parkview, followed by (but necessarilly in this order) N. Gwinnett, Grayson, Norcross, Dacula, Mill Creek, Duluth, Collins Hill, Archer (new), Mountainview (new), Peachtree Ridge.
According to the Newsweek High School rankings, North Gwinnett is ranked #215 in the country, and #2 in the State of Georgia, behind only Walton HS in Cobb. Brookwood is ranked #494 in the country by Newsweek.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 191,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
According to the Newsweek High School rankings, North Gwinnett is ranked #215 in the country, and #2 in the State of Georgia, behind only Walton HS in Cobb. Brookwood is ranked #494 in the country by Newsweek.
Newsweek rankings speak very little for how good a school actually is - they are based only on how many AP tests are taken by a student by a school. How students perform on the test is not factored into the equation, which is why they should not be relied upon as a valid source. For instance, in the past year 81.3% of Brookwood students who took an AP exam scored a "passing score" of 3 or higher, while 63.2% of North Gwinnett students scored a 3 or higher (only .1% above the county average). Going by this criteria, Brookwood, Duluth, Collins Hill, Peachtree Ridge, and Parkview all rank above North Gwinnett. This is not an attempt to put North Gwinnett down, as it is a fine school, but I just wanted to clarify the truth behind this bogus ranking system. Does anyone believe Berkmar is a better school than Brookwood, just because it's ranked higher in the Newsweek rankings? The point is that more established areas in Gwinnett which haven't fallen by the wayside tend to have better schools.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Lawrenceville covers a huge area -- like mrdkb said, the best thing to do is probably look at the school district maps.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Newsweek also ranked Central Gwinnett. North Gwinnett SAT scores are not highier than Norcross. North is a good school but everyone knows Brookwood and Parkview are 1 an 2 in the county. That said, Walton, Northview, Pope, and other schools are better academically then Brookwood, Parkview. But when I say better - it's not by much. Just like Brookwood, Parkview are not better by much than North. Just little better.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Buford is also a decent school

Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,419 times
I see where you were talking about apartments. If so, I would check the Mall of Georgia area for apartment rentals. What exactly are you looking for in regard to living, apartment, rental, townhome, house, purchase, etc.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM

45 posts, read 216,312 times
We live in the north Gwinnett area (Dacula/Hamiliton Mill) and LOVE it! I work in the Collins Hill cluster (Suwannee)- good district but, like all school districts, they are changing. The make-up looks completely different than it did just 5 years ago.

Gwinnett is very large- generally the northern areas are much better than the south gwinnett areas. LOTS of traffic over in the Snellville area/SR 124- but still a good area.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letonyarossi View Post
The Gwinnett County area is a wonderful area u will love it. Very nice. a little pricey but worth every penny. schools are great. I stayed in Norcross for 5 yrs and Cobb County for 5yrs I'm in Milwaukee wiscon now and I dislike living here with a passion, So Atlanta here I come once again to stay forever. Good Luck you've got taste girl.
Actually, I think Lawrenceville covers the gamut in terms of price. There is plenty of affordable housing in the area IMO (Read: lesss than 400K).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta