Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 AM

20 posts, read 91,849 times

Advertisements

First of all, thanks to those of you who have responded to my previous posts. After several trips down to Atlanta, we are strongly considering placing an offer on a home in Smyrna.

The only issue we are having is that the neighborhood borders train tracks and we were wondering if anyone here had any information on the trains that travel through that area (near Spring Road/Cumberland Blvd). We were just wondering if the tracks were in use (because we never actually saw a train) and if so how frequently they were used? If we can expect a lot of noise, etc...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,716,166 times
I live very close to this area. Are you talking about the Vinings train or the tracks near Smyrna Village? The Vinings Train (the tracks near Cumberland Blvd) is a heavily used crossing but IMO, it actually enhances the area. There is often a backup but it's really no more than a few extra minutes. I live a few miles away and still hear the train at night but from what I understand, the city is working to make it a quiet zone (it just may take some time). I wouldn't let this deter you from moving to the area.
If you are talking about another set of tracks, please specify the exact location!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,616 times
I could be totally wrong, but I seem to recall a friend of mine in the area saying something about some of the trains being re-routed, but neither she nor I are very credible sources, as it could just be heresay. I used to be in an apartment right near the Vinings tracks and, while I could hear it at night, it did not really bother me (in fact, I kind of found it soothing). If the tracks you are referring to are the ones that run North/South along Atlanta Rd. across from Smyrna Marketplace, yes, I'm pretty sure those are still running.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 91,849 times
Yes, I was referring to the tracks that run along Atlanta rd. Sounds like they are still running. I've seen some nice houses with those tracks in their back yard so it must not be too bad. I just wanted to check and see what people thought of living near them. One of the houses I'm looking at is about 200 - 300 yards away from the tracks. Hopefully it won't be too loud if we end up living there!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
I grew up several hundred yards away from some very busy passenger train lines, and I can tell you that you won't even notice the noise after you've been there a few months.

Bob

Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,851 times
From what I've heard and seen trains go through there every 1 to 2 hours. Not heavily used but not something to be ignored. I don't live near that line but I do live within a couple of blocks of another line. I only hear it if I open the windows (although I think I might be in a quite zone). I kind of wish that I could actually hear it a little more often.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM

62 posts, read 435,133 times
The tracks along Atlanta Road are heavily in use. Infact, they just did some maintenance upgrades so that the trains could run at higher speeds before they cross Windy Hill Road since the wait time for switching is long. The bulk of train travel is at night.

I commute up and down Atlanta Road in Smyrna nearly every day so you're getting a realistic answer, not an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: