Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,148,713 times

Advertisements

I think it's just ugly. It's an extreme case of what's bad about America, no joke. Even most of the suburbs don't have sidewalks, and the way that all these foreign-owned businesses keep their property is horrendous.

I'm sorry, but Gwinnett County is a perfect example of why we need city planning, and the ugly signs all along the major roads... Those gigantic signs are outlawed in many of places around the country, because SOME people have TASTE.

So, that's my opinion.. and if this gets removed I will only feel sorry for anybody who would have an ounce of pride for that county.

In summary, my opinion of Gwinnett county and its people is two words:

BAD TASTE

But judgements aside, I think that traffic there is 10x worse than in-town Atlanta. Only in Gwinnett county you can have a 4 laned road with almost NOTHING around and yet there's always traffic.

Last edited by blondandfun; 08-12-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Well it is, to me. Why can't people just say what city they live in? I don't get it. My husband doesn't get it, either. I could not tell you one city that is in east Cobb. Or north Fulton.

Sounds like to me they're the ones that are sensitive about the areas they live in if they feel they must justify living in a certain county. Either that or maybe they love a good pi@@ing contest. Who knows?

This thread has gotten wayyy off track to the OP's original question though...so, OP, I apologize. And I am curious because I do love Gwinnett. I can't say anything about the other areas of Gwinnett because I don't live there, and don't pass that way often.
Quit while you are ahead. East Cobb is its own area - it could be a city by itself, a city of East Cobb. All of East Cobb is unincorporated, so there are no cities in it. If you are in a city, then you cant be in East Cobb. Its not snob appeal - those people are just simply stating where they live, same with the way people said "Dunwoody" when it wasn't a city yet. East Cobb is the same thing as Vinings, Peachtree Corners, Brookhaven, etc. - its the name of an unincorporated area, not just a designation of what side of the county you are on.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 08-12-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Quit while you are ahead. East Cobb is its own area - it could be a city by itself, a city of East Cobb. All of East Cobb is unincorporated, so there are no cities in it. If you are in a city, then you cant be in East Cobb. Its not snob appeal - those people are just simply stating where they live, same with the way people said "Dunwoody" when it wasn't a city yet. East Cobb is the same thing as Vinings, Peachtree Corners, Brookhaven, etc. - its the name of an unincorporated area, not just a designation of what side of the county you are on.
Okay, so where does mail go to? East Cobb, GA? What's the zip code there?

(And don't tell me to quit while I'm ahead.)

Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
For once I have to (somewhat) agree with Blondie . The problem in some areas of Gwinnett is really bad sprawl. It is the worst kind of sprawl before they even had tree and sign ordinances (lipstick on a pig).

And this is not unique to Gwinnett. There are areas in Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb that sprawled in the 70's and 80's that have similarly declined. Some have since attracted new investment but this is absolutely nothing new and it won't be the last place this happens.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Why do people who live in John's Creek have Alpharetta and Duluth postal addresses? People who live in Cobb County have an Atlanta postal address. I hope we're not using the USPS as the arbiter of what you can call the community you live in.

What is the big deal about people calling East Cobb what it is...the eastern part of Cobb County? It seems to me that people with the problem are the ones with the problem. Jealousy and envy aren't pretty emotions.

BTW...I live in West Cobb, but I just say Marietta. Either one is fine.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why do people who live in John's Creek have Alpharetta and Duluth postal addresses? People who live in Cobb County have an Atlanta postal address. I hope we're not using the USPS as the arbiter of what you can call the community you live in.

What is the big deal about people calling East Cobb what it is...the eastern part of Cobb County? It seems to me that people with the problem are the ones with the problem. Jealousy and envy aren't pretty emotions.

BTW...I live in West Cobb, but I just say Marietta. Either one is fine.

See...I did not know that they have Atlanta addresses. So that's considered Atlanta? Okay, I get Marietta. I know where that is. I don't always know what towns/cities are in certain counties, heaven forbid the east or central or north part of said county. When one doesn't know what East Cobb "encompasses," it's frustrating. When you say Alpharetta, or John's Creek, I can search that on a map, I know where it is. When someone says East Cobb, it's so vague to me.

My zip code is 30019. Dacula, GA. I don't live in Dacula "proper" but I still live in Dacula. And if asked, I say "Dacula."

Why doesn't that hold the same for other cities/towns in other counties?
I'm really not that thick, but this must be just a local thing. Maybe it is my problem, but it's not an envy/jealously problem. I've never been there before in my life so I guess if I had, I would understand the area better and how the county is divided or what areas are where....

Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
See...I did not know that they have Atlanta addresses. So that's considered Atlanta?
The unincorporated southern parts of the county near I-285 that were developed years ago have Atlanta postal addresses. Areas such as Dunwoody have the same.

Quote:
Why doesn't that hold the same for other cities/towns in other counties?
The issue is the way that GA sets up municipalities. There are many areas that were historically unincorporated areas, and the post office just assigned them postal addresses based on the way the post office delivered the mail. Many of those areas have become incorporated cities in the last few years. Georgia isn't like most states where you have towns and other local entities that are at a level below the county.

In Massachusetts where I lived (and also in most of New England) there are no counties. Every square foot of the state is an incorporated city or town (dating back more than 150 years) and the local town or city has its own zip code. That's not the way it works in GA.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Geez...and I thought the term "middle Georgia" was bad enough...Middle Georgia (where we moved from) encompasses many counties (Bibb, Monroe, Houston, Peach, etc) and cities (Warner Robins, Perry, Byron, Macon, Kathleen, Bonaire, Centerville, etc) but they *all* had their own zip code and is searchable on a map. But it's still far too vague of an area to explain that to someone who's not from there.

I never knew what town East Cobb was considered until tonight. Thanks for the explanation. I always had the impression it was a disassociation thing, really.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM

57 posts, read 143,417 times
People say "East Cobb" because that really is the best way to geographically describe that unincorporated area. People say "North Fulton" because yes, there is a snob factor. Just like when I lived in Midtown I would say I lived in Midtown, not just Atlanta.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:

(And don't tell me to quit while I'm ahead.)
The mail is addressed to Marietta, GA, but East Cobb is not within the city limits of Marietta.

East Cobb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta