Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 103,325 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on Douglasville, Chapel Hill Schools area, Powder Springs, McEachern School area and the Hiram area, I know these cities are also in 3 seperate counties but for those of you who are familiar with these spots, whats your thoughts? I read on another thread that there's some gang issues in Douglasville, but thats all it said, it didn't go into great detail. I have a 16yo son and a 11yo daughter, I know we cannot avoid crime, drugs and gangs but there's gotta be an area where its not so bad? Or is it? I certainly appreciate all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tertesh View Post
I'm doing some research on Douglasville, Chapel Hill Schools area, Powder Springs, McEachern School area and the Hiram area, I know these cities are also in 3 seperate counties but for those of you who are familiar with these spots, whats your thoughts? I read on another thread that there's some gang issues in Douglasville, but thats all it said, it didn't go into great detail. I have a 16yo son and a 11yo daughter, I know we cannot avoid crime, drugs and gangs but there's gotta be an area where its not so bad? Or is it? I certainly appreciate all feedback.
Hiram would give you the best bang for your buck and the least amount of crime

Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
A lot of the so-called "gangs" you hear about these days are nothing more than teenagers loitering at the mall.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:37 AM

59 posts, read 348,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tertesh View Post
I'm doing some research on Douglasville, Chapel Hill Schools area, Powder Springs, McEachern School area and the Hiram area, I know these cities are also in 3 seperate counties
Do you know where you are going to be working? Traffic in the Atlanta area is horrible - I'll repeat the Atlanta forum mantra: live near where you work, work near where you live! Take any mapquest travel time estimate and double it for non-rush hour, triple for rush hour.

The best place to raise your kids is someplace close to where you work, so you won't be spending up to 4 hours each day away from your kids while you are commuting.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,010 times
im thinking of moving from minneapolis to atlanta some day i was wonderong is it a good place to raise a family

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vethalove View Post
im thinking of moving from minneapolis to atlanta some day i was wonderong is it a good place to raise a family
I moved from the Twin Cities to Atlanta five years ago, and other than the weather, I can't think of many good reasons why you'd want to make that move. Not that Atlanta is a bad place, and some of the differences are kinda neat. I like Waffle House. But some of the things which occur in this state are hard to believe at times...

That said, it will depend a lot on where in Atlanta you wish to move to. It's a huge metro area (a third again as large as the Twin Cities), and you'll find all sorts of neighborhoods and schools here. Most areas are probably good for kids, but some aren't.

(And before people ask me why I moved here with that attitude ... I moved here for work. I like living here, and I think it was a good move in many ways, but if it wasn't for financial necessity I wouldn't be living here...)

Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
Wow, anyone spending 4 hours a day commuting must live really out there. I have not experienced having to double mapqwest times during NON rush hour times and Triple during rush hour but it is highly variable depending on where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKelley728 View Post
Do you know where you are going to be working? Traffic in the Atlanta area is horrible - I'll repeat the Atlanta forum mantra: live near where you work, work near where you live! Take any mapquest travel time estimate and double it for non-rush hour, triple for rush hour.

The best place to raise your kids is someplace close to where you work, so you won't be spending up to 4 hours each day away from your kids while you are commuting.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,164 times
Without any details on exactly what you are looking for, your price max and where you plan to work, I'll just throw out that all these areas are fine for raising children. One other thing I'll mention is that Powder Springs is the most convenient if you plan on working in either Town Center Kenessaw, Cumberland, Perimeter Center or Buckhead. Douglasville is a more convenient commute to downtown or the airport. Hiram is the least convenient commute no matter where you plan to work, unless it's outside metro Atlanta

That's all I can say without more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta