Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 AM

102 posts, read 406,147 times

Advertisements

Currently in Portland, Or.
My company may be relocating me to Atlanta.
I'm 50, single, an urbanite, and would like to stay intown vs suburb. I like walking to most of my ammenities, stores, post office etc. I currently live in a quiet neighborhood with everything around me within 10-15 min walking distance.
I've never been to Atlanta, but have seen that it's grown fast. I'm also worried about the traffic and commutes. I would have a home office, however would need to get out and about for appt's and meetings during the day in and around Atlanta.
I would probably want to rent first, before buying so as to get a feel of the city.
Please help!!

Jamier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Well, your post is entitled "can I afford Atlanta?"- you've given us a great description of what you're looking for, but you're missing one key component to being able to answer your question- how much are you looking to spend?????

Bob

Old 04-26-2007, 06:56 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
You aren't going to find a quite neighborhood in intown Atlanta where everything is within walking distance. Atlanta is not very urban. There are some walkable neighborhoods in the very inner part of Atlanta, but they are expensive and usually not that quite. Even walkable neighborhoods in Atlanta are tough to do without a car, although you can do it if you have the will (I know several who do). We really do need to know what kind of budget you are working with though and what kind of standard of living you are looking for.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Downtown Decatur has a grocery store, post office, tons of restaurants and shops.

Virginia-Highland has all that, too, but you have to cross Ponce De Leon to get to a grocery store (could be tough to do with bags of groceries). It's not very close to any rail stations, though.

Little 5 Points (which sort of includes Inman Park and Candler Park neighborhoods) has a post office, a natural foods store, shops/restaurants/bars and is close to grocery stores and big-box retailers.

All of those parts of town are expensive, but you could live in any of them without owning a car, especially now that Zip-Cars, or Flex-Car, or whatever it's called exists (cheap hourly rental cars).

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM

42 posts, read 204,430 times
Default atlanta

You will love atlanta and yes it is very affordable... You will find a lot of live work places being built. Condos with actual bottom levels that are offices. As a realtor, I work from home.....so I miss most of the traffic.....I simply schedule my day around being in rush hour traffic. I think you would absolutely love the old fourth ward area..... They are putting up a ton of condos/lofts shop and play.... It's in the heart of dowtown (Highland ave is the street)

marvette

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I agree with JPD's suggestions - check out each of those areas, especially Va-Highland and Decatur. One thing you would really miss about Portland, though, is the substantial trail systems. The only thing we have that is even remotely close to something like Washington Park would be Kennesaw Mountain or the Silver Comet Trail, which are not even close, and are quite a drive to get to....not sure if you are into trails and such, but something you should know given your current locale.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Default Rethink this now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmier7 View Post
I'm 50, single, an urbanite, and would like to stay intown vs suburb. I like walking to most of my ammenities, stores, post office etc. I currently live in a quiet neighborhood with everything around me within 10-15 min walking distance.

I'm only going to say this...

I know a good number of people who have to travel on business regularly, and a few who are older who do so just for recreational reasons. I'm not joking when I say that every single person I've ever known who has gone to Portland has said, "If there was ANY way I could drop everything here in Atlanta and move there, I would do it NOW". The thought of someone from Portland moving HERE and liking it better here is to them, very odd.

I realize you have never been here, but know that for some reason, many real estate and head hunting corporate people tout Atlanta as being this golden, glowing, city of angels and light. Ok, there are TONS of jobs here, and tons of malls and shopping centers. But Atlanta is a business city. It's very much lacking in unique quaint "walkable" neighborhoods. It's large, spread out, and has horrible traffic and air quality (think L.A. minus Hollywood, and no earthquakes).

No, it's not the worst city in the world, but Portland is by all accounts a very beautiful city that has done as much right in their planning as Atlanta has done wrong. If you were relocating here from L.A., New Orleans, Cleveland, or someplace like that I'd say go for it - but trust me and the comments of my traveling associates - if you can stay in Portland, you're going to be a much happier person. My opinion.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:26 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmier7 View Post
I've never been to Atlanta, but have seen that it's grown fast. I'm also worried about the traffic and commutes. I would have a home office, however would need to get out and about for appt's and meetings during the day in and around Atlanta.
I would probably want to rent first, before buying so as to get a feel of the city.
Please help!!

Jamier
What's your budget?

Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

I'm only going to say this...

I know a good number of people who have to travel on business regularly, and a few who are older who do so just for recreational reasons. I'm not joking when I say that every single person I've ever known who has gone to Portland has said, "If there was ANY way I could drop everything here in Atlanta and move there, I would do it NOW". The thought of someone from Portland moving HERE and liking it better here is to them, very odd.

I realize you have never been here, but know that for some reason, many real estate and head hunting corporate people tout Atlanta as being this golden, glowing, city of angels and light. Ok, there are TONS of jobs here, and tons of malls and shopping centers. But Atlanta is a business city. It's very much lacking in unique quaint "walkable" neighborhoods. It's large, spread out, and has horrible traffic and air quality (think L.A. minus Hollywood, and no earthquakes).

No, it's not the worst city in the world, but Portland is by all accounts a very beautiful city that has done as much right in their planning as Atlanta has done wrong. If you were relocating here from L.A., New Orleans, Cleveland, or someplace like that I'd say go for it - but trust me and the comments of my traveling associates - if you can stay in Portland, you're going to be a much happier person. My opinion.

To add to Gegg's comments.
One other item.
Whereas Portland has a larger "city limit" population of +50,000 or so, Atlanta's "city limit" crime rate is double that of Portland.
So in reality, if you did live in the city and want to walk everywhere, Atlanta is someplace I would not advise on solo walking and sure not for a female walking alone.
I guess as Gregg summed up the Atlanta / Hollywood comparison. In regard to safety, think Detroit less the cold weather. and you have Atlanta.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM

47 posts, read 347,708 times
The places are very different in climate and lifestyle, there is certainly a nice lifestyle to be had in georgia cobb county and kennesaw are very nice. Homes are good value and there is a strong scense of community there, people are very friendly and all seem to know each other. My uncle lives near northlakeside drive in kennesaw. I am from europe and we have visited a lot, we love it. There is a lot of humidy in georgia comparible at times to a florida summer climate. There are a lot of malls and everything you need will be close by but you will need a car to pop everywhere. If you like tennis your going to the right place. There is not really any crime in kennesaw mostly in atlanta generally the crime is concentrated on people that know each other, a love triangle or disputes in low income families. I believe its a rarity crime on innocent individuals, in terms or someone causing harm to them, but I quess it does happy from time to time. Well good luck with your decision. I have moved all over europe about 8 times, but having a travellers spirit in life sometimes makes for a nice change. Go visit and take a slow decision with your move, you may well really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta