Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM

94 posts, read 392,095 times

Advertisements

I am considering teaching position at both schools. I've interviewed with both and they both have their pros and cons... but overall much more pros. Any info that could be passed along would be great. They are both diverse schools, which is a plus for me.

Do you have kids there?
What was your experience?
Do you know anyone who has had experience with the school?
I've heard that they might pay monthly as opposed to semi-monthly... is that true?
How would the commute be from midtown Atlanta during rush hour?
Etc, etc.

I'm relocating from New York City, which puts me at a disadvantage as far as knowing about counties and schools since I'm not familiar with the area. Anything that would help me make an informed decision on my career would be fantastic... My hope is that I'll find a school I love and stay there until I retire.

If you have anything negative to say about certain groups of people then do not reply to this post. I'm not interested in your ignorance. I only want info on the school itself. If you want to discuss race/immigration issues send me a direct message or start your own thread.

Thank you!

Last edited by Chris_Davis; 03-28-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
You should see the school rating thread for the most answers: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM

94 posts, read 392,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You should see the school rating thread for the most answers: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html
Already checked it... didn't see much on there about these two schools. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
I can't help you with most of your questions but I believe that all metro systems pay teachers monthly except City of Atlanta which does pay twice a month.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM

162 posts, read 683,862 times
From what I know about the general area of both schools the demographics are pretty much the same. South Cobb is the Math/Science magnet and Pebblebrook is the Performing Arts magnet. I have a daughter scheduled to enter South Cobb in the fall and I haven't heard anything bad about the school thus far (the jury is still out however). If I hear about gang activity at the school being a problem, I'm sender her to private school. I know for a fact that there is growing gang activity in both these areas.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
You keep starting new threads on the same topic. Why don't you just add to your other threads?

Commute from Downtown would be a breeze as it's against traffic.
Teachers get paid monthly. I would have asked that in my interview, seems kind of important.

If you're living downtown, why wouldn't you teach in Fulton?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times
Don't do it.

Ghetto, Ghetto, Ghetto.

Pebblebrook might as well be Zimbabwe.

I graduated from the school in the mid-90s, right before the demographic transition accelerated.

The band now does "high-steppin'" for crying out loud.

South Cobb isn't much better, but it is better. Still, South Cobb is about where Pebblebrook was in the year 2000. That doesn't bode well for its future.

They are Cobb schools, but that means "diddly" in the present. Cobb Schools are no longer of high caliber.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Don't do it.

Ghetto, Ghetto, Ghetto.

Pebblebrook might as well be Zimbabwe.

I graduated from the school in the mid-90s, right before the demographic transition accelerated.

The band now does "high-steppin'" for crying out loud.

South Cobb isn't much better, but it is better. Still, South Cobb is about where Pebblebrook was in the year 2000. That doesn't bode well for its future.

They are Cobb schools, but that means "diddly" in the present. Cobb Schools are no longer of high caliber.

The original poster clearly stated that diversity is a plus in her decision making so your comparing Pebblebrook to an African country after more Black students moved into South Cobb County was not really necessary.

Behaviorally, South Cobb High would probably be a better choice. Both are located in working class to lower middle class parts of Cobb County. There are much better high schools in Cobb but if you're the type of teacher looking to effect some sort of change into economically disadvantaged kids lives, then you might find them a good fit.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 AM

162 posts, read 683,862 times
It is really sad that the schools reputations go down when the areas become more diverse. Bad behavior is bad behavior every where, no matter what color you are. I could stay in S/W Cobb and HOPE my property values don't tank too bad or I could move to a less diverse area of Cobb and pay double or even triple for housing costs while my children attend better schools. Many of my former neighbors have done just that. We like this area so we may move a little further out to Powder Springs and give McEachern or Hillgrove a try.

Last edited by Love Cobb; 03-29-2008 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
The original poster clearly stated that diversity is a plus in her decision making so your comparing Pebblebrook to an African country after more Black students moved into South Cobb County was not really necessary.

Behaviorally, South Cobb High would probably be a better choice. Both are located in working class to lower middle class parts of Cobb County. There are much better high schools in Cobb but if you're the type of teacher looking to effect some sort of change into economically disadvantaged kids lives, then you might find them a good fit.
I graduated from the school. Even then, the school was awful. This is not a good school, not by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not a poverty issue, either, as most of the kids at the school are not disadvantaged.

The school isn't very diverse. It was diverse when I graduated in the mid-90s. The school is now about eighty percent black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta