Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Use Report Post for TOS violations

To the original poster -

I'm not sure who your friend was who told you that downtown and Duluth were "nice", but you need to rethink this. First of all, while downtown Atlanta has undergone a certain amount of refurbishing so to speak, it's still not exactly the safest place for a mid-20s single female to be at night. Midtown is a bit safer in that regard. Also, there are few conveniences (grocery stores, etc) downtown.

Duluth is a NE suburb (no MARTA rail FYI) and in one of the most highly congested (traffic) areas of metro Atlanta. Parts of it are ok, but other parts have gone downhill a lot in recent years. Ask around before moving.

Likewise, you'll need to resort to Craigslist.com for rooms for rent. Atlanta isn't big on boarding houses or "rooming houses" and when you DO find a place that's into that, you'll most likely be sharing the house with some not-so-cool customers. Your better bet is one of the extended stay hotels, or a studio apartment.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-02-2008 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 106,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
jaeidiaz, aside from not saying "gangsta" -- the inner city night life culture (regardless of race) in ATL (Hotlanta) is different than in other cities, and has it's own language. A lot of the nation's rap and other inner-city entertainment, urban modeling and movies come out of ATL. Additionally, a lot of "black entertainment", which I believe paints a very stereotypical picture of black culture, comes out of ATL. A lot of black people involved in the industry don't even like it, however they often have to go based on what they can get funding for and what supposedly sells. Inner metro Atlanta's population is primarily black and many are professionals, however the kind of stuff on the media would make people think otherwise. Some people also live the stereotype and act like they are projected to as "black culture" by the media.
Great post. Yes, I do see some of that going on. Of course, no matter where we go (African Americans), we will always be stereotyped based on media's portrayal.

I can truly say that my decision to move to Atlanta is not based on being a part of the "black mecca" as some call it. My choice is actually to be closer to family and to experience something new. L.A. is a different kind of place and I haven't quite decided if it is a place I want to call home for good.

I decided to revisit my southern roots and see what ATL has to offer me.

Moderator cut: Leave out the personal attacks

Thank you for that insight - I truly appreciated your post. I am not just saying that. I really enjoy the postings of intelligent people. :-)

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-01-2008 at 11:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 AM

109 posts, read 485,480 times
I grew up in L.A., ATL definitely has some similarities to L.A. there is plenty of entertainment and nightlife no matter what you are into. The city is a little "sleepier" than L.A. but certainly provides plenty of options in the way of things to get you in "trouble".. lol.. As far as places to live, it may be hard to lockdown on a place to live since there is no guarantee you'll be able to land something in the city. But you should be find a condo rental in the Atlantic Station area or one of the many other condo complexes.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRockTeam View Post
But you should be find a condo rental in the Atlantic Station area or one of the many other condo complexes.
But don't many if not most condo complexes these days have things in their HOA agreements that forbid people from renting out their units? Most subdivisions now have that in their rules these days, and I would assume that condo associations are the same.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 AM

109 posts, read 485,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
But don't many if not most condo complexes these days have things in their HOA agreements that forbid people from renting out their units? Most subdivisions now have that in their rules these days, and I would assume that condo associations are the same.
Not always, however they typically restrict the total number of units that can be leased.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
I love living in the ATL. I know there are people here who think usage of ATL is only for "urban" people but I've always used it because I am originally from NOLA and I am used to nicknaming cities.

I have a friend from LA and she doesn't like ATL because of all the trees. It's an urban forest here and she likes a desert landscape where you can seee things for miles and miles. While there isn't much to offer for beach there is a lot to do in the foothills an hour north and there are plenty of lakes spend time on. And Atlanta and the rest of North Georgia have lots and lots and lots of parks.

I live near a place called Little 5 Points. You should Google it. Certainly in my neighborhood you can find small basement apartments and rooms to rent, furnished, too. craigslist is the best place. Just type in any of these: L5P, LFP, Little Five Points, Candler Park, Poncey Highlands, Inman Park, Freedom Park, Lake Claire, Vortex, Flying Biscuit. Those are all part of the scene there. It's a vibrant part of town and good for young singles as well as families. It's also gay-friendly.

Others have cautioned you against downtown Atlanta. They are right. It's just a business center. However, a lot of people outside of the city refer to my area as downtown even though I am 3 miles from downtown. So, it could be just someone thinking of the inner city as being "downtown".

Other places to check are Midtown, Decatur, Virginia-Highlands, Old Fourth Ward, Cabbagetown (especially here for someone your age).

What field of work are you in?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,910 times
Talking Thank you all....

A while ago I was inquiring to venture out of LA and head toward Atlanta. Well my agenda has changed since then...
1)I found a fantastic Job.
2)I've met a wonderful Man and I will move in w/him this July where he resides in San Diego.

I still have a desire to relocate to Atlanta. Though it's not in my near future plans, buying a home out there seems promising to my boyfriend and I. He has family out there. Atlanta is still very much an option. I'll be visiting in April! Thank you all again for all the 411!

-Daisha

Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 20,195 times
I am a 24 F just moved to Atlanta from DC and my boyfriend is originally from LA. We have been here for a few months and are both really enjoying it. There seems to be a good night life...although we haven't experienced it too much. There are great restaurants and happy hours! We both came here without jobs and it took us about 2.5 months to find one. It almost seems like you have to know someone to get a job around here! Kind of like a good ole boy network. Just to give you an idea. I am an admin. with a college degree and am making 40K in the Atlanta area. The position was originally only going to pay 35-37K though. So pay will definitely be lower then in LA but so is the cost of living. We live in an area called Atlantic Station which ended up working out well for us considering we didn't come visit before signing the lease. It seems to be safe along with having so many restaurants, bars, shops near by! We rent a 2 br/1 bath 2 year old condo for $1395 and it's right in midtown. Which is great compared to what we paid in DC! Please contact me if you have any more questions as I know it is tough to move to a random place!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 35,711 times
Default life with no ocean

I miss the ocean terribly... Don't move somewhere without it, or at least some nice mountain scenery.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,585 times
Concur, lyukos. I don't understand how someone from coastal California or Florida could move to Atlanta and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta