Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM

48 posts, read 144,784 times

Advertisements

I am new go GA and I need to register my car. I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost! I know I need to get an emissions test, and pay for registration, but the other fees don't make sense to me.

I live in Fulton County and drive an 05 Pontiac G6. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
try here:

https://www.fultoncountytaxes.org/fultoniwr/10_depts_motor_vehicle.htm (broken link)

Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 PM

285 posts, read 873,357 times
They don't make sense at all really. Georgia taxes you on the value of your car every year on your birthday. Happy Birthday!

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.aspx

Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM

285 posts, read 873,357 times
Oh and if you're just getting it registered (just moved to in state or just bought the car) you don't have to pay the tax yet. You only have to pay it on your birthday.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 AM

288 posts, read 538,880 times
what awful timing! a tax that falls on your birthday? are they crazy?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:30 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
We paid the tax when we registered the car for the first time after moving here. We pay it again on next birthday (which would be 14 months later).

Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 AM

371 posts, read 1,551,176 times
You have to admire the irony "in celebration of your birthday you now us $500, happy birthday!". Now isn't that more interesting than just getting a card?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
They don't make sense at all really. Georgia taxes you on the value of your car every year on your birthday. Happy Birthday!

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.aspx
The only reason it's done on your birthday is because your birthday is used as the anniversary date for your registration. Back before the '90s, all registrations in GA expired at the beginning of the year and you had until April 1 to renew. That caused all kinds of chaos as the Atlanta area grew, so they went to staggered registrations. The ad valorem tax is due at the same time. There is no sinister plot to ruin your birthday.

The tax is simply based on the value of your vehicle. Many states have similar taxes, and Georgia's is actually about half what I paid in MA, so although I'd rather pay nothing, it's lower than many states.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,867,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The only reason it's done on your birthday is because your birthday is used as the anniversary date for your registration. Back before the '90s, all registrations in GA expired at the beginning of the year and you had until April 1 to renew. That caused all kinds of chaos as the Atlanta area grew, so they went to staggered registrations. The ad valorem tax is due at the same time. There is no sinister plot to ruin your birthday.
Having moved from a jurisdiction that also had one-date-for-all, and then tried to move to a staggered approach based on when you purchased your vehicle, I actually thought "neat and clever" when I encountered the birthday idea. It spreads out the processing workload at DMV very evenly across the year, and has the extremely useful feature of being easy to remember.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,349,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The only reason it's done on your birthday is because your birthday is used as the anniversary date for your registration. Back before the '90s, all registrations in GA expired at the beginning of the year and you had until April 1 to renew.
That change happened in the late 90's. I remember the days before that change and it was terrible trying to do anything with Fulton County vehicle tags during that time. The lines were incredibly long. There were also long waits to get emissions tests done as everyone was trying to do them at the same time. Things are so much better with this system. I know it's a rotten birthday present, but it actually works much smoother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta