Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually, it is. It's very much a big deal. Personal interest is irrelevant. That's like saying Wal-Mart really isn't a big company because I don't shop there.

What are you talking about? Hartsfield-Jackson is the world's busiest airport based on the latest figures. That's not debatable; that's a fact. United merging with Continental doesn't change past and present statistics, although it's certain to change future statistics. You should really learn the difference.
Dont feed into it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Um, I live/work/play in Gwinnett, and we really don't have a litter problem. I have always been rather impressed with the county and it's maintenance of the right-of-ways. It did become a little lax last year during the budget crunch and subsequent tax increase. It was, however, immediately picked back up when the situation was dealt with. Also, we have a very really police presence in Gwinnett. Anyone who passes through knows that.
True Eric, the main item with Gwinnett is our SPLOST is used for what it is intended and not deviated into other silo's. Gwinnett's Police force is also nationally accredited and known nationwide as one of the best.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The worlds busiest airport is in Chicago. Atlanta needs more Koreans & Mexicans....I love seeing them when around town. Even though I cant speak their language, I wish their percentage was higher. Their are only two well known soft drink firms, Atlanta has one due to drug attics during the civil war. Right place at right time. The Olympics were also in other none important cities. I nver understand the pride for it. Plus most of Atlanta population did not attend the Olympics.
Chicago hasn't had the world's busiest airport in YEARS. That title has been here for a long time. The facts are out there and very easy to verify.

Do you not realize that we have THE fastest growing Korean community in the U.S.? This is the new "IT" place for the Korean community. We also have a huge and growing Latin community, actually dominated by Mexicans. It sounds like you need to take a spin around the metro area.

And please share with us your insiders view of Coca-Cola only existing due to drug addicts during the Civil War?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Um, I live/work/play in Gwinnett, and we really don't have a litter problem. I have always been rather impressed with the county and it's maintenance of the right-of-ways. It did become a little lax last year during the budget crunch and subsequent tax increase. It was, however, immediately picked back up when the situation was dealt with. Also, we have a very really police presence in Gwinnett. Anyone who passes through knows that.
That's Gwinnett County. Cobb County is a bit different.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
The biggest thing negatively impacting Atlanta today is the poor planning (still in existence to a degree) that allows for arterial and dendritic roads. Atlanta Regional Council (the MPO) has Plan 2040, which is great, but will be next to impossible to implement because how do you create a more walkable environment served by better transportation when all roads lead to nowhere. And what I mean is, aside from the municipality squables that arise that lead to roads changing names, the roads in Atlanta don't follow one direction nor do they take you "somewhere." You always have to take multiple roads to get somewhere.

What is necessary, imo, is more of a grid road system. This will make it easier for developers to build mixed-use projects that actually enhance each other's projects and the area, and make it easier to build a transit system that can follow the Plan 2040, which calls for high growth corridors with TODs (more transportation oriented developments). I don't think the city/cities/counties have the ROWs to make it happen and we'll just have to use Northern Virginia as an example, but Atlanta could benefit from much better planning and a better transportation system.

Also, I wish inner city schools were better so more families could move into the city, pushing up density to a more urban level and making more neighborhoods more walkable. I live in Midtown and there are still whole blocks without businesses or residences on those blocks.

Bottom line, we need Republicans to fix the schools and visionaries (most likely Democrats) to plan the city. Oh how I wish we could just work together

Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
The biggest thing negatively impacting Atlanta today is the poor planning (still in existence to a degree) that allows for arterial and dendritic roads. Atlanta Regional Council (the MPO) has Plan 2040, which is great, but will be next to impossible to implement because how do you create a more walkable environment served by better transportation when all roads lead to nowhere. And what I mean is, aside from the municipality squables that arise that lead to roads changing names, the roads in Atlanta don't follow one direction nor do they take you "somewhere." You always have to take multiple roads to get somewhere.

What is necessary, imo, is more of a grid road system. This will make it easier for developers to build mixed-use projects that actually enhance each other's projects and the area, and make it easier to build a transit system that can follow the Plan 2040, which calls for high growth corridors with TODs (more transportation oriented developments). I don't think the city/cities/counties have the ROWs to make it happen and we'll just have to use Northern Virginia as an example, but Atlanta could benefit from much better planning and a better transportation system.

Also, I wish inner city schools were better so more families could move into the city, pushing up density to a more urban level and making more neighborhoods more walkable. I live in Midtown and there are still whole blocks without businesses or residences on those blocks.

Bottom line, we need Republicans to fix the schools and visionaries (most likely Democrats) to plan the city. Oh how I wish we could just work together
Unfortunately, there is no moderation in politics. Everything is to an extreme. It doesn't surprise me that schools are bad. I read an article in the paper that the state government used stimulus funds to give bonuses. Those funds were meant to keep teachers from getting laid off.

There needed to be more planning. Unfortunately, all I can think of is this. There are many who are unwilling to put forward the taxes to do this. The bad roads in metro Atlanta are considered by some people to be "part of living in GA". My take on it is that there are some residents who are complacent about the roads and take the many winding roads as just part of this system.
And you are right. It doesn't help that the many counties and suburbs act as "fiefdoms".

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,032 times
Hey everyone - if you check out the Ask The Mayor video at CBS Atlanta, they featured my question about homelessness and panhandling.

Local Video

The Mayor says in January they plan on going back to the 1996 panhandling ordinance that was enacted during the Olympics. I didn't live in Atlanta then - for somebody who was there, did you notice a difference Downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta