Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 AM
dls dls started this thread

90 posts, read 411,886 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a house in Alpharetta and renting it out. How difficult will it be to find a renter and keep it rented? The house will probably be $500,000-$600,000, in Windward or a similar subdivision. I am not looking to make much profit, as this is a house I would live in 5-10 years later. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 11:45 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
I think it would be very difficult -- but I am unsure why you want to do this if you don't want to make much money? Are you certain that real estate will appreciate in the next 5 years? Around here, prices are certainly flat this year... if not slightly lower.

The rental home market is very difficult right now, though I am not certain about that price point.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Unless you're planning on making a large downpayment, you're likely to actually be losing money every month. A $500k mortgage is going to run you around $3k/month, plus taxes and insurance- you'll probably be looking at close to $4k/month in carry costs. I'd doubt you'd be able to rent it for anything close to that.

Bob

Old 04-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Well that's just it: prices seem pretty cheap and it seems to be a buyers market, so I thought it would be a good time to lock in good price. Thanks to the responders.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Just want to reiterate my question here. How easy is it to find a good tenant for an Alpharetta (or maybe Duluth) house in the $500-$600K range? Would I experiences long periods of vacancy? I assume rent would be at market price or slightly below. Thanks again for any help.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
I think it would be hard -- why would anyone rent at what i would assume would be relatively high rent, when they could buy a lesser home -- but still they would own it.

As a said before, the rental home market in Atlanta is in a slump. Also, you need to make sure that the neighborhood you buy in, doesn't have convenants which would prevent you from owning a property as an investor. Homeowners Associations in newer communities are notorioiusly strict.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
I am considering buying a house in Alpharetta and renting it out. How difficult will it be to find a renter and keep it rented? The house will probably be $500,000-$600,000, in Windward or a similar subdivision. I am not looking to make much profit, as this is a house I would live in 5-10 years later. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to rent out a house of that calibur in the Alpharetta area. Most people looking for a house up around Windward Pkwy. in that price range would prefer to buy, not rent. If I were you, I would do my homework on the demographics in that area, but I know generally most are homeowners, not renters. If you're trying to get in on a home now, and have someone else pay the mortgage until you want to become the occupant, I would consider another area more likely to have single family rentals. Then again, half a million dollar homes just aren't typical rental property. With the rent I would pay to stay in it, I could own my own. But maybe you'll luck up on a transplant family that needs that kind of space and location, and the rent on a home like that may seem worthwhile depending on what city they'll be coming from; say, like New York City or San Francisco.

Other posters have mention the market. Don't worry about the market, and the fact that it's slow right now; this is the perfect time to buy and hold. One thing's for sure stastically, real estate ALWAYS appreciates; sometimes at a slow rate, sometimes at a fast one, but it appreciates none the less. It's a buyer's market right now, but don't worry, trends show it will turn around as it has in the past. Now is the perfect time to buy for investment purposes, while everything is quiet and slow. Then when the market goes on the upswing, you'll be sitting pretty in the driver's seat as the owner of a nice piece of property, as the market begins to favor sellers again. One thing is key: right location, right price = a good deal. Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
You should probably make sure the HOA doesn't have any restrictions on rental units. A lot of newer HOA's put restrictions on the number of rental units a subdivision has. If so you want to make sure you would be able to have one of those spots if you do decide to buy.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
There are many property management companies in metro Atlanta who will actually post a "listing" of your home and will actively work to find you a tenant. The only problem you may run into is that people renting a home in the price range you're looking at usually want to rent to own. So if you're planning on living in it in the next 5-10 years you might want to consider that. Also don't forget the cost to close that home loan as well.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
FYI according to this article, there is no slump in Alpharetta home sales. So you might not get a good deal as you are hoping.

North Fulton County (Georgia) Real Estate Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: