Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Here is a preview of the M Marketplace (also known as MEGA MART) that will be opening soon at Gwinnett Place Mall.

M Marketplace-MEGA MART is a Korean superstore. This will be its first location in the U.S.

Take a look...

M International Market Place

M International Market Place

MEGAMART (http://www.thorndykerealty.com/megamart/megamart.htm - broken link)

Gwinnett Place Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Korean American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simon Malls | More Choices — Gwinnett Place Gift Cards

*M Marketplace may sometimes be referred to as M International Marketplace or MEGA MART.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:19 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Could be the salvation of the Gwinnett Place area. I for one applaud it.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Could be the salvation of the Gwinnett Place area. I for one applaud it.

I totally agree. Great location too...especially the large (and growing!) Korean population in the Johns Creek/Duluth/Suwanee Area.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Looks interesting if anything to pay it a visit.

There's an almost hidden Korean population there. I mean, you see the folks, but it's not super organized because you have so many other nationalities mixing into it. I saw one ad for an apartment complex where in a blurb they did say "we speak Korean!", which was very new and something you don't see advertised here at all - though it's obviously needed.

It'll do well no doubt, and among locals as well I'm sure.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Looks interesting if anything to pay it a visit.

There's an almost hidden Korean population there. I mean, you see the folks, but it's not super organized because you have so many other nationalities mixing into it. I saw one ad for an apartment complex where in a blurb they did say "we speak Korean!", which was very new and something you don't see advertised here at all - though it's obviously needed.

It'll do well no doubt, and among locals as well I'm sure.

Yep, it is somewhat hidden...but, Metro Atlanta/Georgia has the fastest growing Korean population in the country and it's already pretty large. If you look at the population stats for the schools in the Johns Creek/Duluth area, you will see the large Asian percentages (and a large part of this, most in some cases, is Korean). Some of the elementary schools in eastern Johns Creek have a plurality or slight majority Asian population. Moreover, with Korean-Americans in other parts of the U.S. (especially New Jersey and California), Atlanta is increasingly seen as desirable place to relocate because the large/growing Korean pop, better (usually) economy, and lower cost of living. One of my friend's parents (Korean New Jerseyans) are thinking of moving down here in a few years!

Metro Atlanta's Indian (South Asian) population is also large and growing. They are also concentrated somewhat in Johns Creek/Duluth/Suwanee and stretch down towards Lilburn/Mountain Park (Gwinnett).

I've mentioned this in another post, but I think a Bollywood-themed movie complex should also be placed in the Gwinnett Place Mall Area.

And like I've said before, Gwinnett Place could be re-tooled into Korean-Indian "Stonecrest" (which would attract all types of people, of course...not just Korean and Indians!)

Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
I really think this is going to be a great boon to the area around Gwinnett Place. I sometimes shop at Gwinnett Place when I don't want to wade into the masses. Contrary to popular belief the mall is usually pretty busy. It still has all of the stores you would see in any other middle class mall. There are more ethnic themed shops than you would normally see. The mall is very clean though it really needs a remodel. I have heard from several different people that the mall will be remodeled soon and that Simon is quietly marketing it for a turn around. We shall see. I really think that the location is what makes the Gwinnett Place desirable. I really hope that it will be turned into something Perimeter-esque, just with an ethnic spin! Which I think makes it kinda special.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I really think this is going to be a great boon to the area around Gwinnett Place. I sometimes shop at Gwinnett Place when I don't want to wade into the masses. Contrary to popular belief the mall is usually pretty busy. It still has all of the stores you would see in any other middle class mall. There are more ethnic themed shops than you would normally see. The mall is very clean though it really needs a remodel. I have heard from several different people that the mall will be remodeled soon and that Simon is quietly marketing it for a turn around. We shall see. I really think that the location is what makes the Gwinnett Place desirable. I really hope that it will be turned into something Perimeter-esque, just with an ethnic spin! Which I think makes it kinda special.
Yep!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Maybe I don't visit Gwinnett Place enough, but I really don't see how a Korean megastore (a Walmart-esque department store it appears to be?) is suddenly going to revitalize that area and make it more attractive to induce Perimeter-esque type development, income brackets, offices, and high rise condos.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I think this store is a great addition to the area for the Korean population and also others who enjoy that type of market. But I just am not seeing a total turnaround for the mall or the neighborhood in general in response to this MegaMart. Just my opinion...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
The area around Gwinnett Place is really not that bad. The apartment complexes that immediately surround the area are what give it a not so great atmosphere at times. The average household income for a 5 mile radius is almost $68,000 whereas the state of Georgia has an average household income of $49,000. Once, and I'm hoping soon, the apartment complexes are redeveloped I think it will change the characteristics of the area pretty drastically for the better. It's still going to have a strong ethnic base, but I think if it gains a larger percentage of homeowners it will help stabilize the area and help it grow and prosper.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM

167 posts, read 769,572 times
Most people don't understand the quality of an Asian grocery store. I was actually ignorant of this until I decided to go to H-Mart in Gwinnett (one on Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road and another on Pleasant Hill...near the mall). Boy was I surprised. The selection of produce, meats and seafood is HUGE. I've tried some exotic fruits and vegetables for the first time thanks to H-Mart. The seafood department is incredible and you will find seafood, meats and produce that you have NEVER seen anywhere else. There is also an upscale French-Asian bakery in the H-Mart called "Tous Les Jours." Delicious and it's not cheap, grocery store cakes/muffins. It's the best and most of the bakers trained in France!

I was in heaven when I visited H-Mart, now I'm actually excited about the Mega Mart. Trust me, Walmart is NOT in the same category as this place!! Just stop by the H-Mart to get a small-scale idea of how massive this place will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta