Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I love how fast it took everyone to somehow find a way to make it the fault of "White America" and it's oh-so-pathological racism.

There's no bias in the press on these issues. If for anything, they love covering shootings, since it gives the wonderbread masses in the sprawl-lands something to wet their beds about.

But it's funny how the only people who said that on here are other white people, which means even some of you all realize the disparity in media coverage. The news only covers shootings when there is nothing else to fill up the time slot, I cant tell you how many shootings happen in my old neighborhood of Ben Hill that never make the news. There were just 2 Therell high school students shot last week at the Ben Hill Marta Park & Ride on Campbellton Rd, bet you didn't hear about that huh???? And Ben Hill is not even that wild compared to other areas in SW like Oakland City, Dill Ave, or Mechanicsville

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

66 posts, read 276,799 times
God, quit with the racism BS. This poor innocent girl was murdered by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The press cares. The press also cares that two CAU professors are epousing racist rants and then trying to say they didn't mean it. CAU is not looking so great for students these days. This is terrible PR for the university.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
But it's funny how the only people who said that on here are other white people, which means even some of you all realize the disparity in media coverage. The news only covers shootings when there is nothing else to fill up the time slot, I cant tell you how many shootings happen in my old neighborhood of Ben Hill that never make the news. There were just 2 Therell high school students shot last week at the Ben Hill Marta Park & Ride on Campbellton Rd, bet you didn't hear about that huh???? And Ben Hill is not even that wild compared to other areas in SW like Oakland City, Dill Ave, or Mechanicsville
I heard about the Marta shooting...I'm not out there marching for a safer neighborhood but then again neither are the residents.

Shootings go to the top of the news page but they have a short life span like most other news outside celebrity scandals. The question is if it'll make its way back up should they capture some suspects like the bartender killing. Otherwise it just falls into the cold case bin in APD to be ignored w/ the hundreds of other unsolved murders in this city.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Newsflash: Everyone, in every society on earth, unfortunetly turns the other way when bad things happen to the less fortunate. In the US, Inner-city Blacks happen to be one of those groups. In Europe, it might be Roma, for example. Even people within those groups themselves.

I just don't like the insinuation it's all some cold-blooded conspiricy. The fact is that most people are ignorant and myopic and take the path of "If I got no skin in the game, then I don't have to worry about a thang". As other's have pointed out, that's no longer the case anymore for the middle class in ATL or really many other cities.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Well, if the media ever takes a break from covering Michael Jackson (also not a white middle class girl), maybe they'll give this story some coverage.
Michael Jackson was a white middle class girl, at least he was trying to be.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I love how fast it took everyone to somehow find a way to make it the fault of "White America" and it's oh-so-pathological racism.

There's no bias in the press on these issues. If for anything, they love covering shootings, since it gives the wonderbread masses in the sprawl-lands something to wet their beds about.
A colleague works in missing persons, if a white girl is missing he can get locals and nationals to pick up the story, if a black girl goes missing, then most locals will pick it up, the nationals will print a line or two if she turns up dead.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:

Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM

167 posts, read 864,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
HA! I just spit my afternoon coffee everywhere!!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post

LOL......
True, but young Michael Jackson (pun intended) was a vibrant, fresh faced young black boy!!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM

351 posts, read 533,877 times
Quote:
LOL......
True, but young Michael Jackson (pun intended) was a vibrant, fresh faced young black boy!!!!
Who went to bed every night wishing he was white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: