Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM

150 posts, read 369,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Keep your kids under control when you are in public, nobody wants to hear your crying baby/kid on in public
This reminds me of my husband, a 42-year-old who never planned to have kids. He tells me of stories of screaming babies on airplanes... he was the a-hole who said, "Can't you just throw the baby out the window?"

Now we've got a 4-month-old whose big screaming mouth just pierced the eardrums of all the patrons at Super Target. I'm sorry about this, everyone. Sometimes I can't help it, cause babies cry LOUDLY. I'll try to get the baby out FAST when I'm shopping.

It's not the babies that are the issue though, is it? It's the misbehavin' toddlers. I've had some of those, too. There's a cure for it. It's called discipline!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

214 posts, read 565,082 times
** I have not read the other replies yet, so I apologize if I am repeating something that someone else has already stated.**

To rcsteiner and neil0311:

I do agree with your points about media exposure. . .but more along the lines of people mimicking and accepting what is seen and heard on the screen and radio.

I am young--not too young--and I have come across quite a few "crazies" in my life. . .some of whom made the news. But back then, it seemed that people were less tolerant of their type of behavior. They would be scorned, condemned and, then, used as a teaching tool (not as fuel for retaliation or a form of entertainment). People would remember. . .and I still do.

But the vibe of today is quite different from the vibe of the past. There just appears to be a "coolness" that exists with the world when it comes to being crazy. A lot of people seem to want to partake. And everyone wants to outdo the other person. Many are willing (and able) to commit some type of negative act towards another because THEY feel it is the right thing to do (ex. If someone ever negative action, then I would negative action.) . . .not controlled by respect, compassion, or inhibition. And then there are the countless others who just sit back and watch (or listen to) it happen--perhaps on the 5 o'clock news.

So, I guess I went through all of this to say that I agree with your statements that these heinous acts are not new. And I agree that the media is perpetuating the problem. But I believe that there is a greater issue with this developed and modern-day society. . .and it seems to be related to lack of respect for laws and life. And that is what sickens/saddens me the most.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM

214 posts, read 565,082 times
To everyone else:

Thanks for the additional details. I did not follow-up on the article after reading it yesterday. If the mother was indeed allowing her child to be loud and rude in the store, then I think that she was just as wrong as the man who slapped her child.

Atlantagreg: I like how you handled the lady with the kid. I wholeheartedly believe that the issue should have been taken up with the mother. Got a point across. . .hope it stuck with her.

I am not sure how I would have responded to the incident with "slappy." As much as I try to respect laws and life. . .I am not a fool. First off my child would have never been in the store screaming and hollering. And if he was, then it would have been because I could not get out in time. SO, to think that someone would have slapped him before I made it out. . .well, that would have enraged me, just to say the least. I cannot imagine what I would have done. Let's just say that my heart began to race and the hairs raised on my neck as I read the article.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 PM

288 posts, read 543,094 times
Once I turned all the depressing news off, my life got much happier. Try it for 30 days.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmama View Post
Now we've got a 4-month-old whose big screaming mouth just pierced the eardrums of all the patrons at Super Target. I'm sorry about this, everyone. Sometimes I can't help it, cause babies cry LOUDLY. I'll try to get the baby out FAST when I'm shopping.

It's not the babies that are the issue though, is it? It's the misbehavin' toddlers. I've had some of those, too. There's a cure for it. It's called discipline!
I wouldn't sweat it. You have to shop. Shopping isn't necessarily a quiet endeavor and people need to have proper expectations. Most people have kids or understand what it means to have kids. Kids are people too.

The people that make me want to strangle them are the inconsiderates who bring infants and young children to movie theaters or other venues where you want quiet and small children are inappropriate, especially in the evening. Unless you're going for a children's movie, leave the infants and small kids at home with the babysitter. Same goes for nice restaurants later in the evening. No one wants to try and have a conversation over a bottle of wine with a screaming infant at the next table. That's why many people get a babysitter and go out, to get away from the kids.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM

150 posts, read 369,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. You have to shop. Shopping isn't necessarily a quiet endeavor and people need to have proper expectations. Most people have kids or understand what it means to have kids. Kids are people too.
No worries, I was being sarcastic. It was a response to the previous poster, who said keep your babies/kids quiet. Yeah, I'm with you all... I need a night out once in a while, and unless I've gone to Applebee's for date night, I'd prefer a scream-free evening!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmama View Post
No worries, I was being sarcastic. It was a response to the previous poster, who said keep your babies/kids quiet. Yeah, I'm with you all... I need a night out once in a while, and unless I've gone to Applebee's for date night, I'd prefer a scream-free evening!
Gotcha...my fault...missed the sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta