Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 PM

292 posts, read 635,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
we know Atlanta will bounce back, but when will it happen exactly?
If someone could tell you exactly when Atlanta would bounce back, they would be very rich, wouldn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Housing. At one point, the Atlanta area had about 75K housing permits/starts and was number 1 in the nation for them. Those numbers have dropped to 20K and number 4, respectively. That should be an obvious reason why we took such a hit. Not to mention the number of failed banks here from said bubble. And the ever growing population (we STILL have over 100K people moving here per year, albeit the number has gone down some, it's still higher than ANY job growth, which has been negative for some time).

Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 PM

200 posts, read 449,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
And the ever growing population (we STILL have over 100K people moving here per year, albeit the number has gone down some, it's still higher than ANY job growth, which has been negative for some time).
And THATS the problem im having...isnt Atlanta oversaturated...WHY are people still moving here with negative job growth. So many people have told me they have came down here for the jobs only to be standing in long lines at job fairs and join the thousands of natives and transplants competing for the scant jobs.......

Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
And THATS the problem im having...isnt Atlanta oversaturated...WHY are people still moving here with negative job growth. So many people have told me they have came down here for the jobs only to be standing in long lines at job fairs and join the thousands of natives and transplants competing for the scant jobs.......
Atlanta isn't "oversaturated" any more than NY or LA are "oversaturated." Right now, the economy is just getting back on an even keel, but the problem is that Atlanta has a large exposure to real estate, building, and banking, and these sectors were the ones hit hardest.

I agree that people are silly to move here on the hope of getting a job or based on some myth of Atlanta being a "mecca." Of course the same thing is true for any city or state. You either need a job or plenty of cash on hand to tide you over for a year or two.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 PM

200 posts, read 449,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Atlanta isn't "oversaturated" any more than NY or LA are "oversaturated." Right now, the economy is just getting back on an even keel, but the problem is that Atlanta has a large exposure to real estate, building, and banking, and these sectors were the ones hit hardest.

I agree that people are silly to move here on the hope of getting a job or based on some myth of Atlanta being a "mecca." Of course the same thing is true for any city or state. You either need a job or plenty of cash on hand to tide you over for a year or two.
I dont know NY and LA seem like they have the infrastructure to handle their populations...Plus they arent adding people like Atlanta is....

Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times
I expect to be creating some employment in Atlanta in the next 12 months following some news I had yesterday. That's a start.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Personally, I think some big headquarters in Atlanta will find some other places to live. Atlanta can't boom forever. It's some other city's turn now to grow like crazy besides the current ones. I think it take a while for Atlanta to get back on track. Because of the current economy, people will be way more cautious post-recession about housing and other things, still causing a little slow down with some huge corporations, like Home Depot. It's good that Atlanta's economy is so diversified and huge, but it's too diversified to the point where more than half of the corporations that makes the economy may suffer. Atlanta, although already is presently, should have an economy that includes corporations that will be needed everday and will never but sligtly fail, like the medical industry. After the economy, I don't think that Atlanta will be the "PLACE" to live. Places like Dallas and Houston have economies that are secure by having industries like oil and technology. We are going to always need these. Ao, I think these places are going to be KNOWN like Atlanta is and was.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
I dont know NY and LA seem like they have the infrastructure to handle their populations...Plus they arent adding people like Atlanta is....
Guess you haven't waited 90 min for the GW Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel, or sat forever on "the 405" in rush hour?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Personally, I think some big headquarters in Atlanta will find some other places to live. Atlanta can't boom forever. It's some other city's turn now to grow like crazy besides the current ones. I think it take a while for Atlanta to get back on track. Because of the current economy, people will be way more cautious post-recession about housing and other things, still causing a little slow down with some huge corporations, like Home Depot. It's good that Atlanta's economy is so diversified and huge, but it's too diversified to the point where more than half of the corporations that makes the economy may suffer. Atlanta, although already is presently, should have an economy that includes corporations that will be needed everday and will never but sligtly fail, like the medical industry. After the economy, I don't think that Atlanta will be the "PLACE" to live. Places like Dallas and Houston have economies that are secure by having industries like oil and technology. We are going to always need these. Ao, I think these places are going to be KNOWN like Atlanta is and was.
In terms of population growth Atlanta is still booming. Atlanta has the 2nd largest population gain since 2000 of all the MSA's (Dallas-Fort Worth being the 1st). Over 1.1. million new residents since 2000.

Also I think the part about the economy is correct. Atlanta does have a big economy. However the economies in Texas are more aimed at natural resources (ie Oil, energy, natural gas). These are things that will pretty much never go out of style. Atlanta is a huge center for the media and for medicine. That will certainly help, but they do need to diversify a bit. They wont ever be Detroit because Detroit put all its eggs in one basket (Automotive). Atlanta has not.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 AM

245 posts, read 652,777 times
i used to do my motorcycle riding in the mountains, but in the past couple of years, i've driven around the metro, hitting the various cities... what really stands out to me is just how overdeveloped we are, both in housing & commercial. There is a LOT of empty/unfinished development in Atlanta no matter where you go. I think it's going to take years to absorb, especially the commercial stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta