Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,817,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I wouldn't have sent him home with just a cough, which can last a long time. Remind him to cough in the crook of his elbow ( I like to play a game of copycat and do it more than a few times so they have it down) and remind to wash hands.
I agree. I was frustrated because I felt that I had abided by the school's policy re: no fever for 24 hrs. and the nurse still seemed kind of perturbed at me for sending him. The cough does sound phlegmy, but he only coughs once every ten minutes or so (not a constant thing). I know they want to limit exposure, but if we can't send little kids to school with a minor cough or runny nose, they will be out half the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,867,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I know they want to limit exposure, but if we can't send little kids to school with a minor cough or runny nose, they will be out half the year.
It's really tough with big kids too. When they're in an academically challenging high school program, it's very hard to catch up from even a couple of days' absence. Memorably, one of my daughter's teachers said recently "Just stay home if you feel sick! We don't need the infection here!" and then a couple of days later, the same teacher hectored another student who was out sick on the Friday before Labor Day, for handing in an assignment that had been due Friday, after the weekend. Accused the student of taking additional time, said they could have emailed their work in, and threatened to reduce their grade.

I'm not complaining that teachers are human and subject to flaws. It would nice if they were all perfect, but naturally they're not. However, between this kind of thing and the school board rules about "excessive" absences, when trying to decide if my high schooler is sick enough that she should stay home, I feel a lot of pressure to send her to school. And this is a child whose parents can easily work from home any time, so it's not that I'm concerned about leaving her home unattended. That's not the problem.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,798,673 times
Teachers seem to be very phobic about germs. I am constantly trying to reassure them that kids are not contagious and I don't want to see them home for no reason. The school nurse's job is to keep kids healthy and in the classroom where they belong. When they are contagious, they need to be able to stay home and recuperate without the stress of homework and tests looming over them, A lot of parents send kids to school on Tylenol in order to get them through a test (and get the rest of the class sick). The kids will say that mom/dad gave them medicine for a fever so they wouldn't miss. When you call the parents they act shocked, "OH I can't believe they're sick, they were fine this morning."

Sometimes you just can't win....

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
It's really tough with big kids too. When they're in an academically challenging high school program, it's very hard to catch up from even a couple of days' absence. Memorably, one of my daughter's teachers said recently "Just stay home if you feel sick! We don't need the infection here!" and then a couple of days later, the same teacher hectored another student who was out sick on the Friday before Labor Day, for handing in an assignment that had been due Friday, after the weekend. Accused the student of taking additional time, said they could have emailed their work in, and threatened to reduce their grade.

I'm not complaining that teachers are human and subject to flaws. It would nice if they were all perfect, but naturally they're not. However, between this kind of thing and the school board rules about "excessive" absences, when trying to decide if my high schooler is sick enough that she should stay home, I feel a lot of pressure to send her to school. And this is a child whose parents can easily work from home any time, so it's not that I'm concerned about leaving her home unattended. That's not the problem.
I agree, there is definitely a disconnect between what the schools say publicly, and what the teachers expect. My senior had a fever, sore throat and cough yesterday, and I kept him home. Today, he insisted on going in because he had a test and a project due. He was convinced he would be penalized for handing work in late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta