Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 AM

65 posts, read 187,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
The major problem is that the man didn't pay his writers which is why the Writer's Guild of America got involved. There are union laws involved in movie and television production to protect the workers from unscrupulous labor practices. He was accused of violating some of those laws.

I don't think he shows the whole 'diaspora' of the black experience at all. I think he shows extreme bias against upwardly mobile and professional black women. I think he shows extreme colorism, note the 'bad guy/girl' is always dark. And the sexism is so rampant it isn't even funny.

And all that's before we look at the lack of writing skill and technical expertise, continuity problems and heck just plain lack of logic or basic filmmaking ability.

And then we come to Madea, the patron saint of this man loathing of black women. Don't y'all think it's a bit curious that the only men you see consistently playing women in mainstream films are black men? And no, don't tell me about movies like Some Like it Hot or Mrs. Doubtfire. In those movies the men are not playing women, they're playing men who pretend to be women. I think it's insulting to both black men and women that this is so routine for us that Evander Holyfield is even 'going Madea' in a Taco Bell commercial.

And therein lies the problem with Mr. Perry. His success means that there is less opportunity for filmmakers who actually produce decent cinema, much as the presence of so-called street-lit makes it more difficult to get actual literature published. Hollywood loves a formula, and now they know that all you have to do is throw a black man in a wig and bring in a parade of stereotypes and coonery and of course, some good old time religion and black folk will show up in droves. The problem is, that's what they were producing for us seventy years ago. The times they are a-changing.
agree wtih you on most points

roslyn, you can hold your breath on having an honest discussion about sexism in his movies. we still have issues really discussing that in the black community so expecting it to evoke from low brow comedy is a bit wishful. i don't think TP movies are that damaging more that the themes are annoying more than anything else

one thing that a previous poster alluded to that is interesting is that black people made TP famous - from reading all the stuggles TP went through to make his films Hollywood was completely not interested. he built from the ground up, and we supported him. That I admire very much

I must admit I haven't seen a TP movie lately, but will be seeing the new one soon. I look at TP movies like I do hip-hop, everyone has a place but sometimes we can get too much of the same thing. it would be great to see TP branch out, but considering we've been seeing the same thing since the stage play (i've see those too) not beliving that will happen anytime soon. maybe instead TP will fund other black film makers who have a different point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Default Too many Tyler haters...

I find it laughable that some black folks expect Tyler Perry to be this "Captain Save-a____" (Fill in the blank with whatever you want). It was the same with Bob Johnson and BET, the same currently with President Barack Obama and it is the same with countless other black men who have managed grab the brass ring. Everyone wants to pour their entire hopes into the few brothas who trying to make it or have made it rather than looking to these bright men as an example and learning to step up to the plate and do the same or better.

Does it sucks that Tyler Perry's shows are so one-dimensional? Yes. Does it suck that he opted out of hiring Union writers? Yes. But let's take the long view here instead of the short term "It's all about me and how my feelings can be sooth" kind of view that I always seem to notice with some black foks around here.

1. Because of NAFTA, at-will employment, Financing, production and naming rights, competition, and other factors the economics just aren't in the favor for Tyler Perry hiring Union workers just to make a point. He's probably being squeezed to the extreme for the profit margins as it is and still must have enough left over to put out more movies.

2. Let's be honest: Not to be elitest or anything but there are a lot of black folks I see around here who are pretty lowbrow when it comes to entertainment choices, eating habits, and living choices. Maybe it's due to the after-effects of Jim crow, but it is what it is. Gotta call it like I see it.

3. Atlanta has a FILM STUDIO! Let's just think about it for second... The studio is BLACK-OWNED!!! I mean really, come one now. Isn't that something to be celebrated in of itself? My god we black folks must be the only people in the history of humanity who are willing to snatch DEFEAT from the jaws of VICTORY. How pathetic and sad is that...

4. Last point: If you don't like what TP puts out... DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!! Hey, this is America here. There is nothing that is stopping folks from competing with Tyler except their own laziness and lack of ambition.

Okay... I am off my soapbox now...

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-21-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One thing TP has managed to do is to take a story with primarily black characters and themes but also manage to draw in white audiences. That is arguably unprecedented (with the possible exception of Waiting to Exhale).
Oh yeah, I forgot, gotta include whites, without them he's "not successful".

I wonder if "they" say that about black movie goers?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I'm not expecting Tyler Perry to do anything, except produce quality products. The same standard I hold every other filmmaker to. If they produce crap, I, as a consumer have a right to call it crap. Certainly I'm not interested in that man saving anything. He's made his disdain for a black people clear, unfortunately, we are apparently too addle-brained to notice.

As for the union issue. Oh yeah, Atlanta has a black-owned studio, thanks to his union busting tactics the only person who will benefit is Tyler Perry. Power to the people.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot, gotta include whites, without them he's "not successful".

I wonder if "they" say that about black movie goers?
According to the US census, the percentage of US population which is black is 13.4% as of 2006, and the percentage which is white is roughly 74%.

Maybe some folks consider a movie which appeals to less than 30% of the general population to be a success (all non-whites), and it certainly could be. Even a movie which appeals just to blacks could be a hit movie in its own right, and I'm sure many have been.

However, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to consider something which appeals to the larger white population in addition to smaller groups to be more successful by some measures than something which doesn't appeal at all to that larger group.

LD said TP's appeal to white audiences was "largely unprecedented", but she made no apparent judgment about the relative success or failure of his projects that I could see. Maybe you're reading too much into her words?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
According to the US census, the percentage of US population which is black is 13.4% as of 2006, and the percentage which is white is roughly 74%.

Maybe some folks consider a movie which appeals to less than 30% of the general population to be a success (all non-whites), and it certainly could be. Even a movie which appeals just to blacks could be a hit movie in its own right, and I'm sure many have been.

However, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to consider something which appeals to the larger white population in addition to smaller groups to be more successful by some measures than something which doesn't appeal at all to that larger group.

LD said TP's appeal to white audiences was "largely unprecedented", but she made no apparent judgment about the relative success or failure of his projects that I could see. Maybe you're reading too much into her words?
Well I think his attempt at including a broader audience happened in the movie a "Family that Preys".I thought it was really good.Kathy Bates and Alfre' Woodard? OMG!!Can it get any better than these two phenomenal women?He did the right thing by using his base to launch his movie ambitions.He should not now abandon those people that supported him ,but if he truly wants to become more successful ,he must expand his genre.Not necessarily his demographic but more so his subject matter.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I find it laughable that some black folks expect Tyler Perry to be this "Captain Save-a____" (Fill in the blank with whatever you want). It was the same with Bob Johnson and BET, the same currently with President Barack Obama and it is the same with countless other black men who have managed grab the brass ring. Everyone wants to pour their entire hopes into the few brothas who trying to make it or have made it rather than looking to these bright men as an example and learning to step up to the plate and do the same or better.

3. Atlanta has a FILM STUDIO! Let's just think about it for second... The studio is BLACK-OWNED!!! I mean really, come one now. Isn't that something to be celebrated in of itself? My god we black folks must be the only people in the history of humanity who are willing to snatch DEFEAT from the jaws of VICTORY. How pathetic and sad is that...

4. Last point: If you don't like what TP puts out... DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!! Hey, this is America here. There is nothing that is stopping folks from competing with Tyler except their own laziness and lack of ambition.

Living in Los Angeles and seeing the politics of the movie industry at work I am not sure people truly understand the significance of what Perry has done. There are NO black studio heads in Los Angeles. None. Not one. The chances of there becoming one are VERY low. Tyler became a studio head by building his own studio from scratch. If that is not impressive, then they must have changed the definition of the word.

Better yet, forget the "black" part. The fact that anyone has been able to establish a studio that continually puts out top grossing films OUTSIDE of the Hollywood's influence is huge.

Sure it would be great if all the work that came out of his camp was ultra sophisicated and cultured. But here is a newsflash: African Americans (and Americans in general) don't want that. Summer block busters are basically explosions, bad storylines, and good looking actors with limited talent. But is the funds generated from low brow flicks like this that make it possible for that epic, cultured flick that comes once in every ten films. That is the pattern. Perry is not the only one following it.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Living in Los Angeles and seeing the politics of the movie industry at work I am not sure people truly understand the significance of what Perry has done. There are NO black studio heads in Los Angeles. None. Not one. The chances of there becoming one are VERY low. Tyler became a studio head by building his own studio from scratch. If that is not impressive, then they must have changed the definition of the word.

Better yet, forget the "black" part. The fact that anyone has been able to establish a studio that continually puts out top grossing films OUTSIDE of the Hollywood's influence is huge.

Sure it would be great if all the work that came out of his camp was ultra sophisicated and cultured. But here is a newsflash: African Americans (and Americans in general) don't want that. Summer block busters are basically explosions, bad storylines, and good looking actors with limited talent. But is the funds generated from low brow flicks like this that make it possible for that epic, cultured flick that comes once in every ten films. That is the pattern. Perry is not the only one following it.
I thought I was the only person who saw that.

I just wish that some folks would take off their "I'm a civil rights activist/keyboard revolutionary/power to da people" hat off for once in their life and just celebrate the fact that a brotha's did something what many did not have the gall or the testicular courage to do.

Can we do that people? Please tell me something like that isn't so hard to do...PLEASE...

Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm not expecting Tyler Perry to do anything, except produce quality products. The same standard I hold every other filmmaker to. If they produce crap, I, as a consumer have a right to call it crap. Certainly I'm not interested in that man saving anything.

As for the union issue. Oh yeah, Atlanta has a black-owned studio, thanks to his union busting tactics the only person who will benefit is Tyler Perry. Power to the people.
So in Hollywood, who else, really benefits besides the studios? ..Let's be real..You could have saved the rambling long ago, if you posted this. Save yourself the headache next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Does it sucks that Tyler Perry's shows are so one-dimensional? Yes. Does it suck that he opted out of hiring Union writers? Yes. But let's take the long view here instead of the short term "It's all about me and how my feelings can be sooth" kind of view that I always seem to notice with some black foks around here.

1. Because of NAFTA, at-will employment, Financing, production and naming rights, competition, and other factors the economics just aren't in the favor for Tyler Perry hiring Union workers just to make a point. He's probably being squeezed to the extreme for the profit margins as it is and still must have enough left over to put out more movies.

2. Let's be honest: Not to be elitest or anything but there are a lot of black folks I see around here who are pretty lowbrow when it comes to entertainment choices, eating habits, and living choices. Maybe it's due to the after-effects of Jim crow, but it is what it is. Gotta call it like I see it.

Great points. You hit it on the nail...Great post. I'd Rep you, but I have to spread it around.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Uh, it's really easy to build a studio OUTSIDE Hollywood's influence. That's the entire point, outside Hollywood's influence when you don't pay people their residuals and fire them for seeking union representation. I would think that black people would understand better than anyone how easy it is to build something when you rob people of their rightful due.

Quote:
So in Hollywood, who else, really benefits besides the studios?
Gee, I dunno, perhaps the people who get their RESIDUALS. You know like writers who are fired by Perry for seeking the same union representation he made darned sure he got for himself. He's a member of the Director's Guild, and the Actor's Guild as well, but has beef when his writers joined the Writer's Guild.

People have been building things since time immemorial by robbing others blind. Nothing new here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta