Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I live in Charlotte and I am graduating college in December. I would really like to move to Atlanta after I graduate. Of course I would need to find a job first. For those who used to live somewhere else and were able to find a job in Atlanta, how did you do it? I'd like to hear your stories.

Also, does anyone know of any popular networking groups in Atlanta? Any tips you can share I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 AM

59 posts, read 121,669 times
I've been here for about a month and just scored a job. Lived off savings for a minute and stayed at a hotel before finding a house to rent. Wasn't easy and still getting adjusted. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 AM

27 posts, read 73,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
I've been here for about a month and just scored a job. Lived off savings for a minute and stayed at a hotel before finding a house to rent. Wasn't easy and still getting adjusted. Good luck.
How does that help him?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 AM

375 posts, read 1,380,968 times
Use Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com, LinkedIn | Relationships Matter, and there's probably a host of some sort at your University - job recruiters too. Social networking is easier than getting a newspaper and looking in the Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News*| ajc.com want ads.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
You need to either get an Atlanta cell phone or a local voicemail. If you're snail mailing things, use a friend's address or get a P.O. Box. You need to 'be' here even if you're not here. And set up as many informational interviews as possible. Tell the recruiters that you're in the process of finalizing you're move (even if you're not). If they think you don't live here they'll toss your application/resume. Set up your infrastructure first and then start cold calling and networking like mad. It's the only way.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM

59 posts, read 121,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
How does that help him?
He wanted to hear stories so I told mine. I'm not a guru. Just a dude.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM

19 posts, read 29,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Hey everyone. I live in Charlotte and I am graduating college in December. I would really like to move to Atlanta after I graduate. Of course I would need to find a job first. For those who used to live somewhere else and were able to find a job in Atlanta, how did you do it? I'd like to hear your stories.

Also, does anyone know of any popular networking groups in Atlanta? Any tips you can share I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I got all of my interviews through recruitors, university career center that still let alumnis use the services, and networking. The job i ended up getting was through networking. I think the best way for new college graduates is to go to your university career fairs and try to land a job that way. Good Luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
Check out: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed for jobs.

Go to Google Voice and sign up for an invite (it took me a couple weeks to get one) and set it to an Atlanta area number (404), (678), (770) area code.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
I found my jobs by applying online and letting potential employers know that I'd be in town on certain dates and I'd love to schedule interviews then. I ended up having 3 interviews on one day and getting 2 job offers.

Of course, things were different in 2003 and 2006, so...I'm sure the method is different now thanks to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: