U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 14,276,117 times
Reputation: 2955

Advertisements

I forgot how I came across this a while ago but apparently Atlanta ranks as a major center for "HIGHER EDUCATION" in America.#7 in total enrollment and in total degrees awarded.#5th in "Research Expenditures" ahead of Raleigh-Durham.Yet people will tell you without thinking(or knowing) Raleigh-Durham area is bigger.Why when in almost every category ,Atlanta beats the Research Triangle by a wide margin?

Does any of this news surprise anyone?I already knew because I grew up with 2 parents as educators.Do any of you think Atlanta should market the area as the Research Triangle does or as the "Boston of the South"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
 
129 posts, read 360,632 times
Reputation: 69
The research ranking might catch some by surprise, maybe, but I think most people in South know this is an education hub.

BTW, I think Atlanta likes to think of itself as "The New York City of the South"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
 
200 posts, read 929,787 times
Reputation: 116
"BTW, I think Atlanta likes to think of itself as "The New York City of the South"

Instead of "The Big Apple", we are "The Big Peach"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
YBF
 
Location: Atlanta, Ga
1,260 posts, read 3,138,681 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Simpson View Post
The research ranking might catch some by surprise, maybe, but I think most people in South know this is an education hub.

BTW, I think Atlanta likes to think of itself as "The New York City of the South"
Atlanta should think of itself as just Atlanta ....No comparisons to any other city. Let this city be itself and stand on its own...create its own identity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
 
4,423 posts, read 6,712,212 times
Reputation: 10896
I have no business answering this post because I've never been to Atlanta but when we were living in Chicago someone referred us to Door County, Wisconsin and told us it was the Cape Cod of the Midwest. What we found were fish boils and flat... flat... flat. In two weeks we're headed to Asheville, NC, supposedly the Harvard Sq. of the South but we don't have very high anticipations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM
YBF
 
Location: Atlanta, Ga
1,260 posts, read 3,138,681 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I forgot how I came across this a while ago but apparently Atlanta ranks as a major center for "HIGHER EDUCATION" in America.#7 in total enrollment and in total degrees awarded.#5th in "Research Expenditures" ahead of Raleigh-Durham.Yet people will tell you without thinking(or knowing) Raleigh-Durham area is bigger.Why when in almost every category ,Atlanta beats the Research Triangle by a wide margin?

Does any of this news surprise anyone?I already knew because I grew up with 2 parents as educators.Do any of you think Atlanta should market the area as the Research Triangle does or as the "Boston of the South"?
Most definitely Atlanta should use this to its advantage..why not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
 
15,455 posts, read 24,948,539 times
Reputation: 6102
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Atlanta should think of itself as just Atlanta ....No comparisons to any other city. Let this city be itself and stand on its own...create its own identity.
Exactly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 14,276,117 times
Reputation: 2955
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I have no business answering this post because I've never been to Atlanta but when we were living in Chicago someone referred us to Door County, Wisconsin and told us it was the Cape Cod of the Midwest. What we found were fish boils and flat... flat... flat. In two weeks we're headed to Asheville, NC, supposedly the Harvard Sq. of the South but we don't have very high anticipations.
Well of course you cannot take these things literally.I mean really,there are not many cities ANY where that can be considered this way.It is just a figurative way of giving an idea of what Atlanta represents on a smaller level.Anyone that takes any of these comparisons literal get what they deserve.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 15,912,336 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I have no business answering this post because I've never been to Atlanta but when we were living in Chicago someone referred us to Door County, Wisconsin and told us it was the Cape Cod of the Midwest. What we found were fish boils and flat... flat... flat. In two weeks we're headed to Asheville, NC, supposedly the Harvard Sq. of the South but we don't have very high anticipations.
There is some beautiful scenery in Western NC, I can vouch for that.

People seem to like it.

As for Atlanta, there is sufficient opportunity for higher education here, I wouldn't compare it to Boston/New England.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,788,470 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Atlanta should think of itself as just Atlanta ....No comparisons to any other city. Let this city be itself and stand on its own...create its own identity.
Point to you
Atlanta does not need to be Boston, NY, nor any other. Atlanta needs to be Atlanta.
With this said, this is nothing against Alf's originial post, as he was just making a comparison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top