Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

It was very pleasing to see so many trees and greenery.

The next place I move to must be:

"Green" or be near a beautiful mountain

or

near a ocean.

I know it will be south or south east.

Keep up the landscape, it's very pretty.

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It was very pleasing to see so many trees and greenery.

The next place I move to must be:

"Green" or be near a beautiful mountain

or

near a ocean.

I know it will be south or south east.

Keep up the landscape, it's very pretty.

Ron
Yes. Atlanta is very lush. Atlanta itself has a strong tree planting program that has made it even greener. The southeast, particularly Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas are very lush.

Why are you leaving Chicago?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Yes. Atlanta is very lush. Atlanta itself has a strong tree planting program that has made it even greener. The southeast, particularly Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas are very lush.

Why are you leaving Chicago?
Not a lot of land mass. I cannot see myself buying a $450K condo. The $450k is not the issue, it's what you get----No space.

Also, I am a single 35y/o guy without any children(nor do I plan on having any). Why not see a few other places?

Life is very short. I don't want to spend all of my life in 1 place.

Chicago is my 4th city I've lived in for job purposes.

Ron

Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
If you think it's green now you should come back in the Spring

Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If you think it's green now you should come back in the Spring
WOW.......just the thought of that.

I sure will return.

Ron

Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Think it is green now, just wait until the bright sun hits after all this rain. Over a foot in the last 3 days and still coming.
And out state flower? Kudzu! The vines will be spreading.
So much better this year than last when Atlanta and the surrounding area was so "brown". The drought was horrible.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Not a lot of land mass. I cannot see myself buying a $450K condo. The $450k is not the issue, it's what you get----No space.

Also, I am a single 35y/o guy without any children(nor do I plan on having any). Why not see a few other places?

Life is very short. I don't want to spend all of my life in 1 place.

Chicago is my 4th city I've lived in for job purposes.

Ron
Ron,
I remember when I took at transfer to Chicago. Brought my wife out on March 15th (will never forget) from New Jersey. She had never ventured to Chicago before. We were flying into O'Hare and at the window seat in the plane were her first words "Everything looks flat and dead here, It's spooky dreary and gray" I thought, ol' Lord it's going to be a long tour
Frankly, I loved Chicago for the 3 years I was there, but the cost was awful. Taxes worse than New Jersey, but car insurance was cheap though.

Been in Atlanta for 5 years now. Though I prefer Chicago the wife isn't moving. She loves her green. Loves to plant and garden. Loves the flowers, etc. In short, it's long term.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Think it is green now, just wait until the bright sun hits after all this rain. Over a foot in the last 3 days and still coming.
And out state flower? Kudzu! The vines will be spreading.
So much better this year than last when Atlanta and the surrounding area was so "brown". The drought was horrible.
I hope that drought is coming to a end.

Ron

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Ron,
I remember when I took at transfer to Chicago. Brought my wife out on March 15th (will never forget) from New Jersey. She had never ventured to Chicago before. We were flying into O'Hare and at the window seat in the plane were her first words "Everything looks flat and dead here, It's spooky dreary and gray" I thought, ol' Lord it's going to be a long tour
Frankly, I loved Chicago for the 3 years I was there, but the cost was awful. Taxes worse than New Jersey, but car insurance was cheap though.

Been in Atlanta for 5 years now. Though I prefer Chicago the wife isn't moving. She loves her green. Loves to plant and garden. Loves the flowers, etc. In short, it's long term.
Chicago is cool. I just need to see something else. Other than the pretty downtown buildings, Chicago is not very appealing to the eye.

Chicago has a very large industrial history. You can see that as you drive south.

Sales tax is 10%, highest in the country. Not to mention, when renting a apartment, you're more than likely going to live in a vintage building.

I don't enjoy vintage buildings because of their age, you don't get the proper vent work and everything is so old.

If you want something with central hearing and air, you're probably going to make a purchase in one of the new condo buildings and you're going to pay for it too.

I have nothing bad to say about Chicago, I just want to see "greener" grass.

Ron

Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 14,384 times
I lived in Chicago for 12 years, and decided to move south. I have been in the area for a year now. You will absolutely LOVE the winters here. There are no snowstorms in April, no waiting for the train in 0 degree weather, and there are so many beautiful places to visit in just a few hours drive. And yes, there is lots of green and less gloomy days compared to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: