U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 48,652 times

Advertisements

My husband currently comutes from Carrollton to Norcross 3 times a week and the drive tome/stress is about to send him over the edge. We are looking to move to the other side of the perimeter and sadly I have no idea where to start looking for a rental HOUSE. When I say reasonable I mean rents around $850 a mo and not high crime. I realise every area has its own demons. We also have 2 small dogs but no children so school info is not needed. Am I asking too much by wanting to pay this small amount in rents? is that even possible in Atlanta area? We would like to be east/northeast of norcross. Thanks in advance for any idea's or suggestions.. moving stresses me out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 AM

425 posts, read 1,668,189 times
I suggest apartments in the Berkley Lake area. Berkley Lake is just north of Norcross. From Norcross (Peachtree Corners), drive north on Peachtree Industrial. The drive should only be around 10 minutes or less.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM

985 posts, read 5,529,759 times
Actually, there is no apartment in city of Berkeley Lake since it is so small. apartment names with (XXX at Berkeley Lake) in fact is within city of Duluth limit.

850 for a house rental is not possible around West Norcross (Peachtree Corner, Duluth, Berkeley Lake and Suwanee). Most two bedrooms apartment goes for at least $950 range. Most townhouse rent for $1200 to $1300 range. I image RENT HOUSE (as OP wanted) is even more expensive.

I am not too familiar with East Gwinnett. Maybe somebody else can give you some ideas.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM

I said Berkeley Lake area - have you not seen all sorts of apartment complexes driving up Peachtree Industrial going towards Berkeley Lake?

Going back to topic at hand, if you really want to save money, you can also look along Pleasantdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Actually, there is no apartment in city of Berkeley Lake since it is so small. XXX at Berkeley Lake in fact is within city of Duluth limit.

850 for a house rental is not possible around West Norcross (Peachtree Corner, Duluth, Berkeley Lake and Suwanee). Most two bedrooms apartment goes for at least $950 range. Most townhouse rent for $1200 to $1300 range. I image RENT HOUSE (as OP wanted) is more even more expensive.

I am not too familiar with East Gwinnett. Maybe somebody else can give you some ideas.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
I said Berkeley Lake area - have you not seen all sorts of apartment complexes driving up Peachtree Industrial going towards Berkeley Lake?

Going back to topic at hand, if you really want to save money, you can also look along Pleasantdale.

Sorry I am not familiar with Atlanta Suburbs.. are you referring to the area by pleasantdale park? Thanks for your reply by the way, you guys are helping alot!

Apartments are kind of out of the questions since I have 2 dogs and the like "outside time" but are very much indoor dogs. We are willing to travel approx 30 min one way to and from the office.. maybe alittle more if the price is right but it must be less than 1 hour.

What do you know about flowery branch? Is it possible to commute to Norcross (specifically north end of peachtree industrial blvd.) in under 1 hour from flowery branch? The lake looks appealing (I miss living near water).

Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM

If renting a house is preferred, I would also recommend Lilburn, down Rockbridge and onto Lawrenceville Hwy. Since school is not a concern (Meadowcreek, oh noes!!), you will be able to find many houses for rent in that area. The drive from Lilburn to Norcross is anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes. Flowery Branch is certainly newer and cleaner but you are not going to like the commute.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM

You certainly should drive around before committing anything. I would not recommend anybody live in MeadowCreek area. That's high poverty area in Gwinnett.

May want to rent a house north 316 and near Collin Hills high school area. That's longer drive but much safer. Not sure the price $850. That's just so low for renting a house. May want to spend at least $1000.

Ask moderator Georgia. He lived in Dacula area, south of Flowery Branch area, for commuting info. My guess is close to one hour.

You should check on craiglist to get info rent housing. Search for Duluth, Suwanee, Lilburn (Parkview high area), snellville (Brookwood high area), Dacula, Grayson.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 PM

The OP did specify that the school is not a concern and disclosed a specific price range, as well as her husband getting burned by long commute. I simply cannot recommend anywhere in north Gwinnett if traffic is one of the top priorities. I would probably visit my parents more often if they moved out of Gwinnett, lol.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Again, thanks for your fast responses. I guess I am just used to the low rents in Carrollton.LOL Glad you all informed me of the prices so I can prepare my hubby. When you say MeadowCreek is high poverty are you meaning its low income people or low life people? I cant deal with low life types.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM

I know that school is not the issue, but in Gwinnett, good school areas are generally nicer. OP only needs to drive around MeadowCreek high area to see it is high crime and high poverty area. Search on craiglist. Find out what's reasonable price on market place. Then decide the tradeoff between affordability and easy commute.

Also, OP and her husband can just come up to Gwinnett county during the weekend and drive around all those neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>