Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,141,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
I've lived in all three. Actually Chicago would be my favorite. I wouldn't rely on it being that much cheaper in Charlotte or Atlanta. Illinois actually has a lower income tax than GA or NC. I actually like Charlotte too but I think it you want something similar to Chicago, I would go to Atlanta.
What part of Chicago did you live in and did you explore the ENTIRE city not just the warm and fuzzy Northside..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,800,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Atlanta has Downtown, Midtown (Piedmont Park is awesome and nothing in Charlotte compares), and Buckhead and lots of other places like Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points, and East Atlanta plus Decatur is not too far away and Charlotte doesn't really have anything like those places.
Yes it does: South End, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, Elizabeth, etc.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,678,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Let's be honest. I'm in Charlotte a few times a month. In fact, I was there this week and went top Aposthrophe on the South End. Charlotte is nice - BUT IT DOES NOT COMPARE TO ATLANTA

Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM

647 posts, read 1,418,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd[LEFT
kb;10[/LEFT]923413]Let's be honest. I'm in Charlotte a few times a month. In fact, I was there this week and went top Apo[LEFT]sthrophe on[/LEFT] the South End. Charlotte is nice - BUT IT DOES NOT COMPARE TO ATLANTA
I'm from NC and I totally agree with you. They do have similarities, but it's no Atlanta. Charlotte is the second best thing in the southeast(excluding Miami), so I guess that's why they often bump heads with Atlanta. Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando and Nashville are better comparisons to Charlotte.

Last edited by bgNCATL; 09-25-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,678,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I'm from NC and I totally agree with you. They do have similarities, but it's no Atlanta. Charlotte is the second best thing in the southeast(excluding Miami), so I guess that's why they often bump heads with Atlanta. Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando and Nashville are better comparisons to Charlotte.

I like Charlotte - may even move there. And you are correct. It's just like Jacksonville.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 20,230 times
I have lived in several parts of the country... including Charlotte and Atlanta. If you want to live in the South, I cannot think of any city that can compete with Atlanta. Unfortunately, Charlotte is one of my least favorite cities. I would choose Jacksonville or Tampa over Charlotte any day.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:46 AM

969 posts, read 1,952,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, it doesn't. Those areas are nothing like the ones I listed in Atlanta in terms of people, vibrancy, and scale.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
No, it doesn't. Those areas are nothing like the ones I listed in Atlanta in terms of people, vibrancy, and scale.
They are similar, just scaled-down versions of those places in Atlanta. And if you expect for neighborhoods in Charlotte to be just as large and encompassing as those in a metro area over twice its size, then that's just plain stupid to begin with. Furthermore, you only listed Uptown as one area in Charlotte where there are things to do when those other neighborhoods do exist and are providing ever-increasing options for urban living (especially South End).

As to the OP's questions, both Atlanta and Charlotte can provide him/her with what he/she is looking for, but obviously Atlanta will offer more options since it's bigger. However, he/she shouldn't expect either city to be nearly as walkable as Chicago.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 09-26-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I like Charlotte - may even move there. And you are correct. It's just like Jacksonville.
Charlotte is not "just like Jacksonville." I'm not arguing it's better, but to say they are just alike--even though they share some similarities--is quite misleading.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 PM

969 posts, read 1,952,280 times
[quote=Akhenaton06;10932192]They are similar, just scaled-down versions of those places in Atlanta. And if you expect for neighborhoods in Charlotte to be just as large and encompassing as those in a metro area over twice its size, then that's just plain stupid to begin with. Furthermore, you only listed Uptown as one area in Charlotte where there are things to do when those other neighborhoods do exist and are providing ever-increasing options for urban living (especially South End).[quote]

It's not plain stupid. There are cities around the same size as Charlotte that have more exciting and vibrant areas with much more character. Charlotte is trying, but it's just not "there" yet (and the recession is slowing it all down and making it worse), and being in my early 20's I don't have time to wait around for it to get "there". When it finally does I'll probably be 40 years old and it won't matter so much anymore. Sorry, but right now Charlotte is just so "stale" to me and I know I'm not the only person that feels this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta