Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,025,336 times

Advertisements

Good points. Its not really the city of Atlanta that has bad traffic. The bad traffic appears to be rush hour outside the perimeter and in many cases a good ways outside such as I-575.

[quote=neil0311;10932381]
Atlanta has some bad stretches of a few major highways. GA400 can be bad. I-85 out of Gwinnett can be bad. I have taken I-75 into Atlanta during rush hour on many days, and I get on at Delk Rd heading southbound and traffic is moving at the speed limit. Sure, it's bad a few miles back towards I-575, but it's not a pervasive backup or jam for everyone as some want us to believe all over the city. Even I-285 hasn't been bad for me the times I've driven from Marietta to Gwinnett via the inner loop.
[quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,985,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
What about The Connector between Brookwood and 166?

285 East or Northbound between I20 and US29?

The job losses and folks who started taking MARTA and GRTA commuter busses during the high gas prices are off the highways too...

Its runs smoothly UNLESS there is a event downtown (Braves, Ga Tech game, etc)

Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,036,301 times
Sure Atlanta has some traffic but it is nothing like traffic that I experience on a daily basis in CA. At least the traffic in Atlanta moves.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Its runs smoothly UNLESS there is a event downtown (Braves, Ga Tech game, etc)
Not true...the connector is backed up every morning coming into the city from both the north and south sides, for at least a couple of hours during the rush. Afternoons are terribly backed up going south, mostly because of people exiting onto I20. Throw in a random fender-bender and it's twice as bad.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not true...the connector is backed up every morning coming into the city from both the north and south sides, for at least a couple of hours during the rush. Afternoons are terribly backed up going south, mostly because of people exiting onto I20. Throw in a random fender-bender and it's twice as bad.

False, there is traffic but it still moves. Bad traffic is considered traffic that doesnt move. Bad traffic is when you are traveling at 0 mph.

Every city on Earth has traffic issues which cause more traffic such as accidents, rain, construction, etc but for the most part traffic on the connector MOVES

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, there's actually another example of why traffic in Atlanta isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In many cities, you have traffic on major highways, bridges, and tunnels almost 24/7. I've been on the 405 in LA and sat in traffic at 1am. Same waiting on a Sunday at the GW Bridge in NY. In Atlanta you may have traffic in one direction backing up for a couple of hours in rush hour, but the rest of the time you can do the speed limit + 25mph.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, there's actually another example of why traffic in Atlanta isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In many cities, you have traffic on major highways, bridges, and tunnels almost 24/7. I've been on the 405 in LA and sat in traffic at 1am. Same waiting on a Sunday at the GW Bridge in NY. In Atlanta you may have traffic in one direction backing up for a couple of hours in rush hour, but the rest of the time you can do the speed limit + 25mph.
I've flown into Hartsfield-Jackson after midnight and sat in near-motionless traffic on the connector after 1am. This was just one occasion, but it happens. I have a few other horror stories too, but of course this is all anecdotal.

In my somewhat more extensive experience of the north side of I-285 and north of I-285 on I-75 during the afternoon rush hour, traffic does typically just inch along for many miles. I can't imagine doing that drive day in and day out. For those who are obliged to drive those routes daily in rush hour due to work schedules, it's surely cold comfort that traffic moves briskly a couple of hours later.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I've flown into Hartsfield-Jackson after midnight and sat in near-motionless traffic on the connector after 1am. This was just one occasion, but it happens. I have a few other horror stories too, but of course this is all anecdotal.

In my somewhat more extensive experience of the north side of I-285 and north of I-285 on I-75 during the afternoon rush hour, traffic does typically just inch along for many miles. I can't imagine doing that drive day in and day out. For those who are obliged to drive those routes daily in rush hour due to work schedules, it's surely cold comfort that traffic moves briskly a couple of hours later.

I flew in at midnight over 30+ times and never sat in traffic downtown

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,284,511 times
Lol at people arguing over the degree to which traffic is bad in Atlanta compared to other places.

In my opinion, I despise heavy traffic PERIOD. The sad part is Georgia's leadership had plenty of advanced warning on this decades ago and had AMPLE opportunity to practice good Neighborhood development and transit planning but unfortunately our "particular" southern brand of politics nipped all of that in the bud.

This is the legacy, and even with the U.S. Transportation Secretary currently on board with providing Georgia with seed money for better transit our politicians STILL can't get it together...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,025,336 times
I agree. The only time outside of rush hour it is ever even slow is if there is an accident. I go through the downtown connector from North Ave to I-20 each day and quite frankly it is rarely slow but I understand that other parts of the connector and the areas outside the perimeter get much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I flew in at midnight over 30+ times and never sat in traffic downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta