Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:29 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

This is by far the first report to come to this conclusion.

Take INRIX's traffic scorecard as another data point. Atlanta ranks #10 out of the 15 "very large" cities in the country, using a pretty mixed and diverse methodology:

http://d2dtl5nnlpfr0r.cloudfront.net...2015-wappx.pdf

It appears accurate that, comparatively, Atlanta's traffic isn't all that bad on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Due to Atlanta having a limited amount of side streets in comparison to other cities in the Northeast and Midwest in particular, I actually do feel that Atlanta traffic is worse.

FWIW, I think that if you compare only freeway traffic, that Atlanta isn't bad compared to many other cities like NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago, DC, and others, but metro Atlanta is not connected very well and so people are forced to take the freeways due to not having many alternatives, which causes lots of headaches in traffic for Atlanta.

In Chicago for instance, I very rarely take the freeways at all. They have a very well connected street grid, as do most Midwestern cities and Northeastern cities. If you are a native or long time resident, you will find other alternatives of getting around that won't have you stuck in traffic on major thoroughfares or freeways/interstates.

Other cities also have the option of having many more transit offerings. NYC, Chicago, and DC especially come to mind. There are trains in Chicagoland that go all the way to Fort Wayne, Indiana and to Wisconsin, they have a really extensive transit system into the suburbs and people do utilize those options. NYC hands down has an extensive transit system. DC Metro is very extensive as well so even though the freeways have issues for those who like driving on interstates, those who know their way around side streets can and do use them in those cities. Also those who want to sit back and take transit from 30-50 miles away from their jobs, can and do use those available services.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Due to Atlanta having a limited amount of side streets in comparison to other cities in the Northeast and Midwest in particular, I actually do feel that Atlanta traffic is worse.

FWIW, I think that if you compare only freeway traffic, that Atlanta isn't bad compared to many other cities like NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago, DC, and others, but metro Atlanta is not connected very well and so people are forced to take the freeways due to not having many alternatives, which causes lots of headaches in traffic for Atlanta.

In Chicago for instance, I very rarely take the freeways at all. They have a very well connected street grid, as do most Midwestern cities and Northeastern cities. If you are a native or long time resident, you will find other alternatives of getting around that won't have you stuck in traffic on major thoroughfares or freeways/interstates.

Other cities also have the option of having many more transit offerings. NYC, Chicago, and DC especially come to mind. There are trains in Chicagoland that go all the way to Fort Wayne, Indiana and to Wisconsin, they have a really extensive transit system into the suburbs and people do utilize those options. NYC hands down has an extensive transit system. DC Metro is very extensive as well so even though the freeways have issues for those who like driving on interstates, those who know their way around side streets can and do use them in those cities. Also those who want to sit back and take transit from 30-50 miles away from their jobs, can and do use those available services.
Atlanta lacks arterial roads system. Too many of our roads are left to be 2 lane roads, instead of being upgraded to at least 4 lanes. It appears that during suburban expansion in DeKalb County, they did not invest enough in arterial road network and depended too much on the existing 2 lane road network to move vehicles.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta lacks arterial roads system. Too many of our roads are left to be 2 lane roads, instead of being upgraded to at least 4 lanes. It appears that during suburban expansion in DeKalb County, they did not invest enough in arterial road network and depended too much on the existing 2 lane road network to move vehicles.
Very true. And DeKalb is the epitomy of the suburban cul-de-sac subdivisions. Freight railroads also limit north/south connections.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't you live in Buckhead?

Do you just not leave your house between 3 and 7pm?
About the only time I run into significant traffic in Buckhead is during rush hour. That seems like what you'd expect in any major urban area.

The rest of the time it's easy to zip around.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This is by far the first report to come to this conclusion.

Take INRIX's traffic scorecard as another data point. Atlanta ranks #10 out of the 15 "very large" cities in the country, using a pretty mixed and diverse methodology:

http://d2dtl5nnlpfr0r.cloudfront.net...2015-wappx.pdf

It appears accurate that, comparatively, Atlanta's traffic isn't all that bad on the whole.
That's the TTI report I was referring to. I've lived in Dallas and Houston. They aren't nearly as bad as the bad parts of Atlanta. They have bad traffic in more directions, but really can't match north and northeast Atlanta. I was in Seattle recently and don't see how it rates so high. I found it moving ok during rush hour.

Now DC, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston-yes they are probably worse.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
About the only time I run into significant traffic in Buckhead is during rush hour. That seems like what you'd expect in any major urban area.

The rest of the time it's easy to zip around.
I find it difficult at lunch time. And often on Saturdays.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 182,279 times
I don't understand. Are we saying that, since the nation as a whole is not addressing our transportation problems, that I should be complacent about our traffic?

That's like walking up to an impoverished man and saying "Don't complain about not eating in 3 days, there is a guy on the next block that hasn't eaten in 4".

Or, "Yeah, I got a D on that test, but 3/4 of the class failed."

It doesn't mean you're in a good spot, it just means everyone is doing really, really poorly.

No wonder our nation is swirling down a toilet...

Old 12-03-2015, 11:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Precisely.

We could all decide to do nothing about out traffic problem. Because hey, Bombay, Beijing, and Sao Paulo are worse!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
It's easy to say that for people who don't work in areas like Perimeter where those of us in the Ravinia complex wait as long 30 minutes just to cross the traffic light by the complex... only to be forced in the wrong lane by traffic officers and the fight to wait to get on 285 WB.

Think about that. 30+ minutes to get just beyond the door. The journey beyond the parking lot hasn't even started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta