Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 30,144 times

Advertisements

Around 4 weeks ago, my neighbor's tree fell into our backyard. Well, the tree had 2 parts growing out of its main trunk, and the first part fell into our backyard. We just has the fallen part removed at the beginning of the week, but our neighbor did nothing to the second part of his tree. Today we just had another downpour in our area and the second part of the same tree fell into our backyard again. So another headache to this situation, who is responsible for it? He apparently has 4 weeks to have it cut down and removed but did nothing, and the inside of the tree has apparent rotting and it looks like it will not stand up for long. The first time it fell may be count as act of nature, but does the second time does it count too?
We live in Gwinnett area if someone could give us any advice or offices/departments to notify and report this situation.
Again thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
Ooo . . . what terrible luck. I can't offer any advice on the legalities. Have you contacted your insurance agent yet? Keep a log on everything that's discussed.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 PM

288 posts, read 543,094 times
I asked my father who is a real estate attorney and former law professor at emory university. He says you have a case against your neighbor. I would take them to small claims court, and be sure to document everything. Rotting trees are not an act of god, your neighbor has a responsibility to see that his property will not cause damage to other property.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
I used to be a Realtor in another state, North Carolina. NC law is if the tree falls in your yard it is YOUR responsibility NOT your neighbors. I don't know about Ga. It is the right thing to do for your neighbor to offer to help you out no matter who's responsibility it is, IMO.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
Here's what happened with my tree situation.. My next door neighbor's massive oak tree was uprooted when the remnants of a hurricane moved through the Atlanta area. It fell towards my property, knocking down seven other trees in its path. Out of these two were large enough to cause damage and one did pierce through the roof. My house took an indirect blow from the oak. The neighbor lost an older wood fence and his motorcyle. Both of us were insured with the same company. They split the tree removal (ten grand) between us. My neighbor offered to pay my deductible ($500). I didn't take it, but he did offer. After the tree removal, the neighbor was out of the picture. It took about five months to obtain a dollar figure from the insurer that was appropriate. The original offers were quite laughable. Good luck with this.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 AM

41 posts, read 96,475 times
You have a case from the evidence found the first time if fell. At that time, he learned the tree was unhealthy and he did nothing about it, you have a case on the 2nd incident. This could be proven easily in a small claims court, stick it to him! Get some legal advise on how to build your case from a professional, and bend him over. He sounds like he needs it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
I hate inconconsiderate neighbors, ex. I came from work on Friday and saw that my neighbor was cutting his lawn and came about ten feet on my property. This would be all fine and good if he did not cut his lawn so low. Now I have ten feet of brown grass on my property-I swear if the HOA gives me a ticket, I will march over there and make him pay it. I say, take him to court and make him pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta