Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,024 times

Advertisements

I've scoured all the topics and read a lot about all of the cites in North Atlanta but still not sure where we should start looking. I'll try to give as much info as I can and thanks in advance for any and all of your help.
My husband works from home most of the time, but he will have to drive to the airport about once per week and to Norcross 2-3 times per month. Sometimes he'll go during rush hour and sometimes not.

Ok, so if I could have the perfect perfection of a home, here's what it would be:

Town:
-excellent schools
-clean, well-planned
-downtown or main street shopping/eating district
-safe, with normal precautions
-good traffic flow (I can handle rush hour traffic, just not 24 hours a day traffic jamups)
-airport no more than 60 min. drive in rush hour
-culture/entertainment no more than 45-60 min. drive
-library, tap/ballet, gymnastics, etc. classes,
-community recreation center or swim club
-trusted preschools
-ethnic diversity
-not too conservative politically

House:
-at or Less than $360,000
-brick or a mix of hardyplank siding
-open floor plan, not boxy
-1/4 to 3/4 acre lot
-cul-de-sac
-4-5 bedroom
-level backyard
-reputable builder

We like Alpharetta but not sure if this is optimal. I do like being near shopping. Thanks again. We are coming from Florida and lived here all my life, so this is a big, big move. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 42,636 times
Zipcode 30043.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM

997 posts, read 4,633,355 times
What about Johns Creek. Great schools. Very convenient to Norcross. Airport is a drive (about an hour or a little more in rush hour) but you can take Marta. There is shopping, restaurants, activities and a library. Most neighborhoods have swim/tennis.

Dunwoody is an option. It is a bit pricier. Much harder to find something in your price range. The home will be older and need some work. I don't mean that negatively. Very convenient to Norcross as well and the airport is closer. Plenty of shopping, restaurants and activities. There are neighborhoods with swim/tennis. I find some of the schools are questionable. I personally prefer the elementary in the Dekalb part of Dunwoody but prefer the middle and high schools in the Fulton part of Dunwoody. Johns Creek will provide you with more solid schools all around.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM

7 posts, read 10,888 times
Alpharetta is really great, especially for schools. It is worth it.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks for your help. This is great because we really like the Alpharetta area. We did think about Lawrenceville but we thought it would be less metropolitan, if that's the right word.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenzy View Post
Thanks for your help. This is great because we really like the Alpharetta area. We did think about Lawrenceville but we thought it would be less metropolitan, if that's the right word.
When you say Alpharetta do you JUST mean Alpharetta because since the forming of Milton and Johns Creek there is not much Alpharetta left. Alpharetta now is just Windward, developments off Old Milton and Kimball Bridge, Waters and a few off Hwy 9 near downtown. The rest is all businesses.

Don't want you to limit yourself since they are all the same. We used to be Alpharetta and still think of myself as Alpharetta but we are technically Johns Creek now.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Also when you are house hunting, Realtors still put Alpharetta in the MLS and they are really Johns Creek and Milton because most people still think of the area as Alpharetta so Realtors don't want their listing to be overlooked when doing a search.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM

188 posts, read 592,152 times
What part of Norcross will you need to go to?

The part of Johns Creek that used to be Duluth (east of 141) is very close to Norcross. It also has just about everything you're looking for.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 AM

Yes, we understand that Duluth, Johns Creek, and Alpharetta all blur together as far as house hunting goes. I still do separate searches on realtor.com just to be sure. We found a house in Highgate subdivision off Parsons Rd. The house listed across the street was Duluth and this one was Johns Creek. The negotiations did not go well for that house. So in the meantime, I went ahead and posted here because I want to be sure our realtors know what they are doing, as far as commute and all that. I know absolutely nothing about Atlanta so I sure do appreciate all of your responses. This does seem like a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta