Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yes, I am suggesting that. It's not perfect and there is room for improvement, but I am curious as to what you mean by these "gaps".

As for the safeness argument, I have walked each segment of that street from Garnett to Brookhaven several times. I never had any trouble aside from the occasional panhandling bum.
By gaps I mean anything that breaks up the urbanity such as parking lots, buildings with blank walls with no street interaction, or unusable "open space".

The safeness I was referring to is the perception of safety from passing vehicles. A streetscape design that separates the pedestrian from passing traffic (or at least has slow moving traffic) is a requirement for most people to find walking enjoyable in an urban environment. This is why on-street parking is being implemented in the city wherever possible - to provide a mental buffer from passing traffic.

Last edited by J2rescue; 10-03-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
By gaps I mean anything that breaks up the urbanity such as parking lots, buildings with blank walls with no street interaction, or unusable "open space".
Any city is going to have that. On Peachtree specifically though a lot of those parking lots are in front of retail buildings.

Quote:
The safeness I was referring to is the perception of safety from passing vehicles. A streetscape design that separates the pedestrian from passing traffic (or at least has slow moving traffic) is a requirement for most people to find walking enjoyable in an urban environment. This is why on-street parking is being implemented in the city wherever possible - to provide a mental buffer from passing traffic.
Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Growing up in the city I pay zero attention to the cars passing by as I walk down the street. Also, I live in Buckhead not far from the Dick's/Filene's/Target/Publix mega building. Along the sidewalks around that block, this very type of buffer exsists and it's annoying as pi--. If I wanted to walk across the street to Phipps after grabbing from the store there, my only choice is to either end of the very large block.

Granted, the buffer is pretty, but I don't see it as being a cure for anything. But don't get me wrong, I think the city should continue to move forward with more streetscape improvements like this.

One thing that could really go a long way in making things easier for people though are pedestrian tunnels. If it were I designing it they would go in at Peachtree and Lenox, Peachtree at Piedmont Hospital, Peachtree at 14th, and Peachtree at 10th.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Any city is going to have that. On Peachtree specifically though a lot of those parking lots are in front of retail buildings.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Growing up in the city I pay zero attention to the cars passing by as I walk down the street. Also, I live in Buckhead not far from the Dick's/Filene's/Target/Publix mega building. Along the sidewalks around that block, this very type of buffer exsists and it's annoying as pi--. If I wanted to walk across the street to Phipps after grabbing from the store there, my only choice is to either end of the very large block.

Granted, the buffer is pretty, but I don't see it as being a cure for anything. But don't get me wrong, I think the city should continue to move forward with more streetscape improvements like this.

One thing that could really go a long way in making things easier for people though are pedestrian tunnels. If it were I designing it they would go in at Peachtree and Lenox, Peachtree at Piedmont Hospital, Peachtree at 14th, and Peachtree at 10th.
Very large blocks is also a detriment to walk-ability and that is the problem in that case. Parking lots are terrible for walk-ability.

Look its great that you personally enjoy walking all over the city. But the things I'm talking about are features that have been proven to make walking enjoyable for most people which do not exist in enough quantity or density in Atlanta. All you have to do is look at a city that you love to visit and notice the characteristics of the streetscape the next time you're there.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:

If that is your definition, then like waronxmas I would like to know where these gaps are...between Downtown and Buckhead, the only example I can think of is SoNo (between Ralph McGill and North Aves); otherwise, it feels quite urban.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 143,427 times
Atlanta has an linear growth pattern. I get that. We have good chunks of urbansim. I get that. The only thing missing is a way to connect these areas. Busses don't cut it. It's too far to walk. We need streetcars!

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newat6 View Post
Atlanta has an linear growth pattern. I get that. We have good chunks of urbansim. I get that. The only thing missing is a way to connect these areas. Busses don't cut it. It's too far to walk. We need streetcars!
The streetcars are coming back on Peachtree and possibly on Piedmont and Ponce. The Beltline will go a long way to resolving the problem in the rest of the city.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If that is your definition, then like waronxmas I would like to know where these gaps are...between Downtown and Buckhead, the only example I can think of is SoNo (between Ralph McGill and North Aves); otherwise, it feels quite urban.

Its not my definition. I didn't invent cities or how they were developed. Atlanta was also developed this way at one point and if even half of Downtown and Midtown looked like this, you would probably not hear people say Atlanta is nothing but suburbs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/winecoff/3512927265/ (broken link)

Last edited by J2rescue; 10-03-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Its not my definition. I didn't invent cities or how they were developed. Atlanta was also developed this way at one point and if even half of Downtown and Midtown looked like this, you would probably not hear people say Atlanta is nothing but suburbs.

Peachtree Street Downtown Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/winecoff/3512927265/ - broken link)
This doesn't really answer my question. In my mind's eye, I'm traveling up Peachtree through Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead, and I'm trying to identify areas that you describe as 'parking lots, buildings with blank walls with no street interaction, or unusable open space'. Aside from SoNo (which is dreadful, but could be fixed), I can't think of any. Please to enlighten.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
...if even half of Downtown and Midtown looked like this, you would probably not hear people say Atlanta is nothing but suburbs.
I know most people probably disagree with me, but I say "who cares?" what people say? People here care much more what others say and think about the area than many areas.

Anecdote from this Friday night....this happened to me at SEA-TAC airport in Seattle as I was waiting for a flight to Atlanta. A Canadian who lives in Vancouver, BC and I struck up a conversation waiting for the flight. His perception of Atlanta was that it was a great place but his concern was the crime. He was very scared about staying in a hotel downtown near the CNN Center. To me, that's the real problem that Atlanta should be laser focused on....crime and panhandling....not how many buildings per square foot do you need to be considered a "real city."

Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I know most people probably disagree with me, but I say "who cares?" what people say? People here care much more what others say and think about the area than many areas.

Anecdote from this Friday night....this happened to me at SEA-TAC airport in Seattle as I was waiting for a flight to Atlanta. A Canadian who lives in Vancouver, BC and I struck up a conversation waiting for the flight. His perception of Atlanta was that it was a great place but his concern was the crime. He was very scared about staying in a hotel downtown near the CNN Center. To me, that's the real problem that Atlanta should be laser focused on....crime and panhandling....not how many buildings per square foot do you need to be considered a "real city."
Too true. A friend from Orlando is coming up this weekend and blithely booked a room at the Downtown Hilton on Courtland without consulting me. I'm sincerely concerned about her staying there and told her so. It's not that other cities have sketchy areas in their downtowns, but how many in the US have upscale hotels plopped down in the middle of them? Her naivete about Atlanta led her to believe 'none'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta