Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM

70 posts, read 178,956 times

Advertisements

Traffic ruins everything. You cannot have any fun because of damn traffic. If you want to go out to a Braves or Falcons game, you are screwed. If you want to enjoy the scenic views of downtown, you are screwed by traffic. You can't do anything in this big city because of traffic even though there is a lot to do. I have to leave hours before my college classes start just to be on time. Who else is fed up with traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
Do you live out in the burbs or outer burbs. Most in the city don't think that traffic is bad.

Can you not take Marta to the games, it works really well and allows you to get in and out quick. Where do you go to school.

There was a thread the other day which discussed this and many people thought traffic was not that bad and didnt affect them.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,218 times
Not me. I hardly sit in traffic going home or going to work. My commute is quite a breeze!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM

248 posts, read 648,712 times
Not entirely sure schayban88 is an ATL resident. Profile says NY. Looks suspiciously like a baiting thread to me. My most humble apologies if I am mistaken.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:37 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,659 times
If you live in a large city/metro area and want to enjoy all it has to offer, one of the drawbacks is traffic. If it bothers you that much, move some place smaller. Otherwise, get some patience, roll down the window (if it's nice out), find a good song and turn up the volume on your radio.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schayban88 View Post
Traffic ruins everything. You cannot have any fun because of damn traffic. If you want to go out to a Braves or Falcons game, you are screwed. If you want to enjoy the scenic views of downtown, you are screwed by traffic. You can't do anything in this big city because of traffic even though there is a lot to do. I have to leave hours before my college classes start just to be on time. Who else is fed up with traffic?
1. You take MARTA to Braves and Falcons games - no matter where you live.
2. You don't try to go where everyone else is going, and especially not at the same time. If you do try, you use MARTA.
3. You schedule classes and other kinds of activities away from rush hour traffic. If you can't, you use MARTA.
4. You don't try to live on one side of the city and work, go to school, or party on the other side. If you have to do so, you use MARTA.

These are things people do who want to enjoy living in the big city. I do these things and commute to work against traffic, so I'm not fed up with it at all.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
I hate it, and I have a hard time believing that folks are living in Atlanta without experiencing SOME form of heavy traffic. I work a job and a half, I have to commute all over the city and I am in school. Metropolitan Atlanta's Transit system as it stands now just doesn't have the ability to get me where I need to go in the time that I need it to.

I can point out several streets and intersections that are heavy with cars at every given moment of the day except waaaay late in the evening to midnight. Take this grain of wisdom from a guy that was living here when there still a couple of farms inside the Perimeter, and Rich's had a high quality ice cream section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schayban88 View Post

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 PM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Not entirely sure schayban88 is an ATL resident. Profile says NY. Looks suspiciously like a baiting thread to me. My most humble apologies if I am mistaken.
Actually, all the dozens of posts saying there is no traffic problem in atlanta are the ones that look fishy.

Hasn't atlanta always ranked in the top 5-10 for traffic congestion?

Having not one but two major regional freeways running through the middle of the city is not helpful. Then add in the fact that semi trucks going from/to the north or south must use 285 unless they are making a delivery inside the perimiter.

Here is the 5 most traffic congested cities in america:
1)LA
2)DC
3)Atlanta
4)Houston
5)San Fran
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=8031697&page=2
(Atlanta was 2nd last year)

Last edited by johnnyboy2008; 10-01-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
1. You take MARTA to Braves and Falcons games - no matter where you live.
2. You don't try to go where everyone else is going, and especially not at the same time. If you do try, you use MARTA.
3. You schedule classes and other kinds of activities away from rush hour traffic. If you can't, you use MARTA.
4. You don't try to live on one side of the city and work, go to school, or party on the other side. If you have to do so, you use MARTA.

These are things people do who want to enjoy living in the big city. I do these things and commute to work against traffic, so I'm not fed up with it at all.

You're back!! ...

Well to those complaining, get yourself a comfy car, good music, and don't sweat the small stuff. Either that, or avoid it. Just like the Good Deacon said, use Marta. And get some good tunes, the commute will be shorter than usual.

Traffic....it's everywhere. No major metropolitan area is immune. Make the best of it, while in traffic.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
The only traffic problems in the City of Atlanta are the Downtown connector and parts of Peachtree around the on ramps to 75/85 and in Buckhead around 400, plus Sidney Marcus. All of that is easily avoided.

I do enjoy seeing traffic though....from the Train near the Midtown subway tunnel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta