Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM

114 posts, read 350,346 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Atlanta, among several other cities, but am really scared of all the crime I've heard about. This fact alone has pretty much put Atlanta at the bottom of my list even though I really like almost everything else I've heard. Safety is definitely my #1 priority for where I move. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Like any major city, Atlanta has its' 'problem' neighborhoods and its' good ones. You just have to ferret them out.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 PM

288 posts, read 543,169 times
No, I would still move. Just learn where the bad areas are and stay away from them.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
I'm a 45-year-old Atlanta native and have never been a victim of crime here. The only time I was a victim of crime was when I lived in tiny little Athens, Georgia while attending graduate school (my home was robbed twice).

Crime can happen anywhere but moving to Atlanta does not imply that you're setting yourself up to be a victim. Find a nice neighborhood and take sensible precautions.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM

114 posts, read 350,346 times
Well, my concern is that I've heard that a lot of violent crimes are happening among innocent people. I mean I realize that any city has its bad areas, but I want to feel safe overall and not have to be worried about someone breaking in to my apartment, etc. if I don't live in the "bad" neighborhood. It seems like in Atlanta things have just gone crazy--or maybe that is just the portrayal of Atlanta that has come across.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,124 times
Safety is everybody's priority, it's at the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
Well, my concern is that I've heard that a lot of violent crimes are happening among innocent people. I mean I realize that any city has its bad areas, but I want to feel safe overall and not have to be worried about someone breaking in to my apartment, etc. if I don't live in the "bad" neighborhood. It seems like in Atlanta things have just gone crazy--or maybe that is just the portrayal of Atlanta that has come across.
So just where are you getting this 'information'?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Things are crazy everywhere.

Atlanta is a broad term and could mean 500,000 people or 5 million people. Generally, the further you get from downtown the safer it is. And yes, criminals do travel to the suburbs to commit crimes. The best thing to do is to find some safe area away from the high crime areas and you greatly reduce your chances.

Life is full of risks even if you live in some tiny town. It is best to make educated guesses and hope for the best.

I will be glad to offer you my opinion on the safest areas possible and I will back my opinion up with offical crime stats/maps from the local police dept.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Well I guess that just seems to be the general vibe I've gotten from this forum. Plus I've read a cpl of newspaper articles about how there's a huge police shortage and how crimes are seemingly more violent, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong - that's why I'm asking, because I want to know what the situation is. Thanks again everyone.
That is because the article is talking about "the city of atlanta" which is about one-tenth of the metro area. That is where a large percentage of crime occurs. And that is why I said to learn where the bad areas are. Or you could even live near the bad areas as long as you take precautions like living in a high rise with a doorman and security cameras.

Many people post about crime cause they are frustrated and they need to vent. I generally post about crime to give people an equal picture of the good and bad.

I wouldn't let it stop you from moving. Just find the good areas. Or take extra precautions in the bad areas.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
As opposed to violent crimes happening to people who deserve it?

You can easily check the FBI crime statistics for any city that you're interested in...Atlanta's violent crime rate has decreased for several years in a row. There has been a lot of media hype recently over some high profile crimes, which has created the false perception of rampant crime in the city. Atlanta is a big city and there is big-city crime, but your chances of being a victim are very, very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta