Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,992,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Anyway...back on topic...
Really. Sorry.

Atlanta's history is fascinating. Not only the feud between the suburbs and the central city, but the changes within Atlanta itself. I need to read more about it. Any suggestions, anyone?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,603,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
I think we should bring back public hangings for anyone convicted of premeditated murder. Leave them hanging for a week or so as a warning to others.
In Elizabethan time crime was substantially worse than it is now and capital punishment was pretty much mandatory. They had no qualms with hanging a seven year old for stealing a handkerchief. Bodies were routinely left hanging until they rotted. Various forms of torture were de rigueur as well, including drawing and quartering. Was any of this a deterrent? Nope. If criminals thought before they acted they wouldn't be criminals.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM

927 posts, read 2,218,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
In Elizabethan time crime was substantially worse than it is now and capital punishment was pretty much mandatory. They had no qualms with hanging a seven year old for stealing a handkerchief. Bodies were routinely left hanging until they rotted. Various forms of torture were de rigueur as well, including drawing and quartering. Was any of this a deterrent? Nope. If criminals thought before they acted they wouldn't be criminals.
Exhibit A as to why evolution is a blessing. Let's not go back to the days of cave men by allowing this type of brutality.

As for books, someone mentioned White Flight earlier. It's a great read and very comprehensive White flight: Atlanta and the making ... - Google Books

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,287,401 times
Killing someone just for a few years of free room and board is way too harsh... I can achieve the same effect by throwing a brick through several store windows. At least no one is physically injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Perhaps true, but it would certainly act as a better deterrent than the current (and largely ineffective) revolving-door "rehabilitation" system we have in place.

To someone in serious need, killing someone is free food and shelter for years and a free pass at the end. So you lose a few years on the street. You get to make bigger and better contacts in prison, anyway, so for many it's a net gain. When viewed in a certain (perhaps twisted) way. And in some circles having spent time in prison is a status symbol, I hear. Some deterrent.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Really. Sorry.

Atlanta's history is fascinating. Not only the feud between the suburbs and the central city, but the changes within Atlanta itself. I need to read more about it. Any suggestions, anyone?

bizchick86 has already recommended it a few posts up from this one, and I have recommended it earlier on this thread and previous threads. The book is called White Flight by Kevin Kruse. Definitely get it soon...a must read for every Atlantan...new and old.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM

217 posts, read 407,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Hypothetically speaking, how would Atlanta be different today if white flight had never happened?
Two things, without a doubt:

1. Better public schools

2. Better transit

I just moved back to Atlanta after three years of going to grad school, living and working in DC and PG County, Maryland. At least every few days there's something in the Post, the Times or City Paper about what a wreck DC city schools are. Michelle Rhee, the Chancellor of DC city schools, has done some pretty drastic things in the last few years because the Whack-A-Mole approach of the last few decades just wasn't doing it. A lot of people don't like it, but a lot of people seem to appreciate that she's doing something.

I've often wondered what DC's schools would be like if there was a rule that the children of elected officials who reside in DC, from the mayor and city council to the President and every member of Congress, sent their kids to DC public schools.They'd be the best schools in the country. They certainly wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate the way they did. I suspect the same is true in Atlanta. Not so much with public officials, but imagine now different APS might be if almost everyone in the city's most expensive neighborhoods sent their kids to public schools.

Same with MARTA. It would probably be a much more well-developed system, with a more logical fare structure and different leadership if its patrons were, as a group, whiter and wealthier. MARTOC and the General Assembly would probably behave in ways that don't so closely resemble sabotage as well.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,408 times
Quote:
Really. Sorry.

Also check out Atlanta Rising:

Amazon.com: Atlanta Rising: The Invention of an International City 1946-1996 (9781563522963): Frederick Allen: Books

Its from 1996, so a little dated, but interesting nonetheless.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,730,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Two things, without a doubt:

1. Better public schools

2. Better transit

I just moved back to Atlanta after three years of going to grad school, living and working in DC and PG County, Maryland. At least every few days there's something in the Post, the Times or City Paper about what a wreck DC city schools are. Michelle Rhee, the Chancellor of DC city schools, has done some pretty drastic things in the last few years because the Whack-A-Mole approach of the last few decades just wasn't doing it. A lot of people don't like it, but a lot of people seem to appreciate that she's doing something.

I've often wondered what DC's schools would be like if there was a rule that the children of elected officials who reside in DC, from the mayor and city council to the President and every member of Congress, sent their kids to DC public schools.They'd be the best schools in the country. They certainly wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate the way they did. I suspect the same is true in Atlanta. Not so much with public officials, but imagine now different APS might be if almost everyone in the city's most expensive neighborhoods sent their kids to public schools.

Same with MARTA. It would probably be a much more well-developed system, with a more logical fare structure and different leadership if its patrons were, as a group, whiter and wealthier. MARTOC and the General Assembly would probably behave in ways that don't so closely resemble sabotage as well.
Atlanta's Pubblic Schools have been doing much better since the new super came to town.She is often cited as one of the best in the nation for her work.Don't get me wrong,there is still work to do,but its not fair to say it a "wreck".The problems are systemic nationwide even NYC,LA,Chicago have or had really bad problems.It takes time and effort.I do think Atlanta is on the right track.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,730,564 times
Quote:
Really. Sorry.

TRUST ME,YOU HAVE GOT TO READ THIS BOOK!! Where Peachtree Meets Sweet AburnYou will LOVE it.It really tells the story of Atlanta from both perspectives.(White-Black).Prominent Atlanta families from Maynard Jackson's equally famous grandfather John Wesley Dobbs to the Inman-Allen (Mayor Ivan Allen)families.I STRONGLY recommend this book!!I LOVED IT!!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
if here is anything like there, it is the affluent members of AA that are equipped to remove the criminal elements from their community without hesitancy remorse or any guilt. it is black flight that truely hurts our urban areas not white flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta