Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Nothing can fix a 70 average IQ.
IQ tests weren't made to be equal. They were made during the times of eugenics and used as mechanisms of control so that the persons in power could say "they are dumb and don't deserve to participate in modern society with us" and make other excuses to discriminate. If I can function in a college atmosphere and get my degree, then I am entitled to a job and a decent living. If you don't think so, too bad.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
IQ tests weren't made to be equal. They were made during the times of eugenics and used as mechanisms of control so that the persons in power could say "they are dumb and don't deserve to participate in modern society with us" and make other excuses to discriminate. If I can function in a college atmosphere and get my degree, then I am entitled to a job and a decent living. If you don't think so, too bad.
I know you mean well;but some people prefer to dwell in ignorance and hate.Its the easy way to be.Don't waste your breath or wisdom.It takes far too much effort to become emotionally,understanding,caring,and educating oneself about the harsh realities of the past.What is the saying?"Ignorance is bliss"?Well some people are blissfully happy without a care in the world(or about the world).

Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know you mean well;but some people prefer to dwell in ignorance and hate.Its the easy way to be.Don't waste your breath or wisdom.It takes far too much effort to become emotionally,understanding,caring,and educating oneself about the harsh realities of the past.What is the saying?"Ignorance is bliss"?Well some people are blissfully happy without a care in the world(or about the world).
You have a point there. It is like taking pearls to the swines. It gets trampled on. Some people prefer to be ignorant because they don't want to change. They like where they stand on race relations and make up stupid excuses for doing so.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times
White flight did happen and then things reversed and that will continue to go on. Interesting thread.

I have lived here for over half a century--things work well enough, guess I'll stay put--too hard to relocate--did that --didn't like it and don't want to move again --right now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ome-music.html

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,780,291 times
Quote:
I would rather live in a crowded urban center than in urban sprawl. It works for my personal benefits. At least cities are more walkable than a sprawling mess and transit options are usually better than in the suburban sprawl. IN the city, I get stared at less than I do in the suburbs. For some reason, I feel like I am treated a little better in the city than in some suburban areas. Other suburban areas are cool, but the city is where I function best. I don't have a car and for that reason, the city is best for me. As a single person, why do I care if I have a backyard? If I want some open spaces, I can go to the park.

As for the most dangerous cities being populated by blacks, well, I'm black and you don't see me going out and killing people. Furthermore, those same cities populated by large black populations, well, those same cities also have high poverty rates and high jobless rates. I have seen other posts by you and I know you are only saying this because you don't like black people, nor do you wish to know any, whether they be criminals or good decent people like the people I go to college with. And what about the everyday black people who have to deal with the crime in their own neighborhoods? I hardly see anyone express concern for them. I know what I see on the news. Most of what I see is black people committing crime. Do I ever hear that most of the crime committed by blacks is often against blacks. Statistically, most crimes are intraracial, not interracial.
So then by your own words, blacks should be avoided.

Just because an area is poor, doesn't mean it has to be violent. But that's how it is. Have to admit, I don't have relative data on that point broken down on a race basis. But what data I do have leads me to believe that the blacks have a corner on that market.

Folks like to say, "Oh but all the serial killers are white". Except that the data shows 22% of serial killers are black... again exceeding their percentage of the general populace of 12%.

I think it was Jesse Jackson that said something along the lines of he'd rather see 3 white guys than 3 black guys approaching him in a bad area a night.

So does it really matter what I do or don't like? The numbers show that communities of blacks, anywhere in the world no less, whether whites are "oppressing" them or not, are more violent, more disease ridden, and a host of other negatives.

I've seen it even among highly paid blacks in top fortune 500's.

So, given the numbers, who is anyone to tell me I should have to want to associate with anyone at all, for any reason or no reason? Even if the numbers were not what they are, same question?

As a black, if you want this impression to change, then you need to be screaming at the black community, not the white one.

Wasn't it MLK that said he wanted to see folks judged by character, not skin color? Well that experiment has been going on for a while now. Clearly any particular individual could be anything, good or bad.

But taken as an aggregate, the black community, everywhere in the world is a problem community.

Now here's some data for you. Want to see it change, then start preaching to the black community (and let's see what good it does). Think it's the fault of whites, OK fine, go where they aren't.

Oh wait, Detroit is majority black. And guess what city leads the list...

So even where blacks have the numerical majority, nothing is better.

If your bretheren want to be crotch grabbing, gangsta rapping types with street cred, fine, that's a matter of personal freedom. But don't expect anyone to want to live around it!

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Safest 25:...................%AA...Largest Segment?
1...Amherst, N.Y...........3.90............N
2...Mission Viejo, Ca......1.15............N
3...Brick Twnshp, N.J.....0.99............N
4...Newton, Mass..........1.97............N
5...Simi Valley, CA.........1.30............N
6...Cary, NC.................6.15............N
7...Greece, N.Y.............2.88............N
8...Thousand Oaks, CA...1.06............N
9...Colonie, N.Y.............3.96............N
10..Troy, MI..................2.09...........N
11..Sunnyvale, CA..........2.22...........N
12..Arvada, CO..............0.66...........N
13..Lake Forest, CA........1.83...........N
14..Orem, UT.................0.33...........N
15..Clarkstown, N.Y........7.87...........N
16..Sterling Heights, MI...1.30...........N
17..Irvine, CA................1.45...........N
18..Hamilton Twnshp, NJ..8.16..........N
19..Warwick, RI..............1.16..........N
20..Dover Twnshp, NJ......1.75..........N
21..Canton Twnshp, MI....4.54..........N
22..Cheektowaga, NY.......2.93..........N
23..Fremont, CA..............3.10..........N
24..Bellevue, WA.............1.99..........N
25..Farmington Hills, MI....6.94..........N

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Wow, someone doesn't know anything about finance or macroeconomics.

The cause of the sub-prime meltdown was over-leverage of banks caused by... MORTGAGE LENDING! People used ARMs, Alt-As, and other financial instruments to purchase homes larger/more expensive than they could afford. These types of mortgages were attractive because the Fed lowered their rate to 1% after the stock market crash to introduce more money supply to the economy and boost demand. People were also convinced that they could sell their homes or refi them if they ever wanted to get out. However, the Fed funds rate rose, people's ARMs reset, and home prices reached a point where demand elasticity finally made people say "hey, that's a ripoff." People dumped their homes on the market, causing excess inventory to lower prices below what people bought originally. They couldn't sell nor could they afford their new mortgage payments, so many abandoned their homes and foreclosed. The mortgage backed securities that bundled these loans into nice packages and labeled them as AAA started to become negative equity, resulting in the collapse of large banks that bought them due to OVER-LEVERAGING. These loans weren't given by EXPERTS, they were given by BANKERS wanting COMMISSION and PROMOTIONS. The rating system was arbitrarily made by Moody's and other companies, not economists. So, yes, this was caused in part by greedy people who wanted a McMansion in the subburbs, or a condo in Midtown.

Wanting a nice home isn't what caused the problem. Slap you head a little harder and even re-read you own comments.

The supposed experts, aiming for a profits *now*, caused this.

Even Greenspan told everyone to "get in on" the run up.

If the supposed experts had been taking into account the ultimate sell off that the non-expert home buyers were going to attempt, they wouldn't have made, and shouldn't have made those loans nor structured them the way they did.

What you have is a case of blaming the victim going on.

The BANKER and MOODY's were supposedly experts on micro and macroecomics, right? Certainly Greenspan is an "expert" right?

So then clearly, it was the alleged experts that created and offered ARMs and rating system, and permitted the over leveraging. And therein is where the blame lies, by your own words.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Thanks...I see by the way this thread has progressed that there are a loud crazy few, but reason will always hold up against the madness.

And I suppose New York City is the most sought after city in the country (world?) because of urban sprawl .

Who wants comprehensive, functioning, relatively inexpensive transit, nightlife, cultural activities, and restaurants within a central vicinity, places where you can actually run and walk outdoors without the risk of getting run over, and the ability to have your basic needs met and without having to waste gallons of gas on just getting there? Urbanity-smurbanity. I'll take obesity and isolation any day of the week!
Be real. Cities are crimefests. Physical, violent crimefests, not just white collar economic BS crimefests.

People flee cities for lots of very good reasons.

Crowding is just one.

If you like filthy, crime infested concrete jungles, well, more power to you. Please, stay there. Leave the more open spaces for the rest of us, LOL! You're quite welcome to the crime, filth, crowding, disease, and 100 other ills of too many living things in too little space, LOL!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Racism is a pathology of control. It is about controlling people and resources. Europeans never referred to themselves as white until the colonial days of the USA. Why did the concept of race arise? African slaves and indentured European servants got together and encited rebellion. The elites of colonial America were afraid of these people who were basically peasants, landless and broke. You couldn't kill them all because the point of being an elite was to have someone do all the work for you, to be a person of leisure. They convinced European servants that their "whiteness" was more important than their economic status. They were put on slave patrols, given a little bit of land, were allowed to testify in court. Well, the "racism" worked and the it played out over and over through history. This is part of the reason no slave rebellion was successful in the USA. The use of "whiteness" was a trick, and a pathology of control. People who were in control(economically and politically) were afraid of not being in control, so they invented a pathology of control, racism.
That pathology of control manifested itself as another pathology of control, restrictive covenants, blockbusting, redlining. It was a way to control who moved where, who could live where, a way to keep people divided.
I'll assume what you say is true for the sake of discussion and not even try to argue it.

However, the facts on the ground today, are that blacks are the biggest problem going.

So if you want to define "white flight" as racism, as opposed to a reaction to a problem, fine. But it simply makes sense to avoid african america at this time, even if you aren't the control freak type racist you cite above.

Here's the numbers yet again.

Since my own home town is on this list, and wasn't africanized and on this list 20-30 years ago, it's clear to me from my that africanization preceeds an area going to crap. If that's an inconvenient fact, the the african americans need to change it, not anyone else. If they don't want to change it, fine, but then don't expect anyone to *not* want to "take flight".

Sorry, but white flight is just the sensible thing to do until things change.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

Your information is from 2005...almost 5 years ago. It's really not valid at all today.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So then by your own words, blacks should be avoided.

Just because an area is poor, doesn't mean it has to be violent. But that's how it is. Have to admit, I don't have relative data on that point broken down on a race basis. But what data I do have leads me to believe that the blacks have a corner on that market.

Folks like to say, "Oh but all the serial killers are white". Except that the data shows 22% of serial killers are black... again exceeding their percentage of the general populace of 12%.

I think it was Jesse Jackson that said something along the lines of he'd rather see 3 white guys than 3 black guys approaching him in a bad area a night.

So does it really matter what I do or don't like? The numbers show that communities of blacks, anywhere in the world no less, whether whites are "oppressing" them or not, are more violent, more disease ridden, and a host of other negatives.

I've seen it even among highly paid blacks in top fortune 500's.

So, given the numbers, who is anyone to tell me I should have to want to associate with anyone at all, for any reason or no reason? Even if the numbers were not what they are, same question?

As a black, if you want this impression to change, then you need to be screaming at the black community, not the white one.

Wasn't it MLK that said he wanted to see folks judged by character, not skin color? Well that experiment has been going on for a while now. Clearly any particular individual could be anything, good or bad.

But taken as an aggregate, the black community, everywhere in the world is a problem community.

Now here's some data for you. Want to see it change, then start preaching to the black community (and let's see what good it does). Think it's the fault of whites, OK fine, go where they aren't.

Oh wait, Detroit is majority black. And guess what city leads the list...

So even where blacks have the numerical majority, nothing is better.

If your bretheren want to be crotch grabbing, gangsta rapping types with street cred, fine, that's a matter of personal freedom. But don't expect anyone to want to live around it!
I don't even know where to begin...such hateful and vicious words! This type of attitude is nothing but polarizing...and please don't speak for "us" - thankfully, most of "us" don't agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta