Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! And newspapers, squirt guns, etc. They eventually banned throwing hotdogs at the theatre we went to since they left grease marks on the screen.

Those were very fun times, and you're right - it does seem like yesterday.
Reminds me of the time I went with friends to see RHPS at the Garden Hills Cinema after barhopping (circa 1977). I had too much to drink and began to feel sick about 1/2 hr into the movie. I ran to the exit doors to the right of the screen, threw them open and began to heave my guts up. Unbeknownst to me at that moment, the doors had failed to close behind me and the entire audience was witness to my degradation...they began to cheer enthusiastically.
So no one can say that I haven't had my 15 minutes of fame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Even though City Fanatic is usually prejudiced and racist, I would say that there's no need to beat around the bush with this one. It's a black cultural thing. A lot of us are expressive and we treat the movies like an interactive experience. Even in touristy areas, if you go see a Tyler Perry movie in Times Square, there's going to be a predominately black audience and we're going to interact with the movie. It's just how we do it.

If you prefer a quieter experience you know which neighborhoods to go to, as they were listed here.
I've been to many movies where white people talked as well...it's less of a "cultural" thing and more of an "individual" thing. Anyone who has been taught how to act right in public - no matter what color - KNOWS not to be rude during a movie.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Anyone who has been taught how to act right in public - no matter what color - KNOWS not to be rude during a movie.
Bingo. Unfortunately, people being taught manners is becoming a less common thing these days. Has nothing to do with race or economic status.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
It depends.

Sometimes, the comments make the movie even funnier at times.

It doesn't bother me unless folks over do it...

Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It depends.

Sometimes, the comments make the movie even funnier at times.

It doesn't bother me unless folks over do it...
I don't mind a single comment, especially if it's relevant to the movie. That's not a problem really...the problem is continuous responses to everything happening in the movie - or - continuous chatter from people paying no attention to the movie. I guess both of those situations would be "folks overdoing it".

Old 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've been to many movies where white people talked as well...it's less of a "cultural" thing and more of an "individual" thing. Anyone who has been taught how to act right in public - no matter what color - KNOWS not to be rude during a movie.
We're actually talking about two different things--interaction vs. conversation.

What I'm referring to is people responding to the movie itself and not having separate conversations that have nothing to do with the movie or talking on the phone.

A lot of people enjoy audiences that cheer, clap, give standing ovations at the ends of movies, and make other various expressions in response to the plot development of a movie. With that, many people like it, including myself, as it makes for a fun movie-watching experience.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
We're actually talking about two different things--interaction vs. conversation.

What I'm referring to is people responding to the movie itself and not having separate conversations that have nothing to do with the movie or talking on the phone.

A lot of people enjoy audiences that cheer, clap, give standing ovations at the ends of movies, and make other various expressions in response to the plot development of a movie. With that, many people like it, including myself, as it makes for a fun movie-watching experience.
It depends on the type of movie and the number/appropriateness of responses. Cheering, clapping, screaming, gasping, etc...those are not bothersome. Any kind of consistent talking IS bothersome.

I simply said that, IMO, it isn't a cultural thing. It's a manners thing.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
This happens all over the country. It is basic lack of manners and a reflection on how society is going downhill and people have no consideration for anyone else.

I have seen people have conversations during a movie that has nothing to do with what is going on the screen that they're suppossed to be watching.

I ususally give them a minute or two to quiet down before I say something.

That is another problems nowadays everyone is afraid to speak up when they see bad behavior.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I just watched Paranormal Activity at Atlantic Station and I have say once again the movie was ruined by people talking and laughing, and I dont mean whispering but loudly talking and yelling comments during a suspense/horror movie.
I've lived in numerous cities (NYC, DC, CHICAGO) however Atlanta is the first one where I can't stand going to the movies!!!!

If I wanted commentary I would've bought the "dvd with commentary".

Is this a cultural thing? southern thing?

What gives!!! it's soooooo annoying!!
LOL!!! WhaddaU meeean Cultural??? LOL,LOL,LOL, they pull that crap in lot of places. Here in LA, Last night I went catch a midnite showing of Zombieland & some idiots had they're Freakin young children there!!!!
I'm not that old buuutt... At 8-9 years old I was in bed at 11PM yet alone being out with my parents on a late Saturday nite.

I saw District 9 when it first came out at about 10PM & there were friggin babies crying & some geniuses lined up their darn baby strollers in the isles..
And the talking during key scenes was mostly in spanglish..,, (LOL) & if you go down to South LA you'll here what you've just described, but now out in the more rural areas they don't converse as much Buuuutt,,., they'll bring their own booze & make cat calls & hoots at key phrases & actions on thev screen.. So I am totally at a loss to why different people in differents regions treat the theater as if it's home or a sports bar...

I would ask for my cash back if it became unbearable..

Old 10-10-2009, 04:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
bizchick86 - Just curious, but have you ever been to a late night screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Interacting with the movie taken to the ultimate level, imo.

The Plaza Theatre on Ponce has Midnight screenings on Fridays & Saturdays. You should check it out sometime for a bizarre & fun experience (unless you already have, of course).
Aaaah, You're dating yourself.... Me too & I loved it at the ROXY on 20th & Samsom in Philly waaay back when. Ha-ha-haa-.. Good stuff man, I thought to myself "White people are craaazee but they sure do know how to have fun
... Luved It!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta