Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM

123 posts, read 157,671 times

Advertisements

These women that you speak about are they transplants or Naitves. Because it makes a big differences..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
WTF... am I seeing people here actually claim NY has more hospitality than ATL? I've been to NY and aside from DC those are some of the most bitter for no reason people ive ever seen.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Sanchez, I'm not really sure if they are transplants or natives but I will be honest and admit the typical SEC team baseball cap-wearing, volvo-driving, Dave Mathews Band-listening southern girls so common around here are not my type. I've actually had better luck with non-natives.

Brown, visiting and living there are two totally different things. NYers could care less about tourists or people in town on business. People who live up there look out for each other because everyone realizes how demanding a city it can be. I encounter far more rudeness here, subtle and overt. For instance, drivers are FAR more aware(or just less oblivious in general) of pedestrians and bicyclists up there than they are here. I will say that people are less gregarious and open up there. Some would call that "minding their own damn business." I'm the type of person that can appreciate that.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 PM

143 posts, read 346,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Sanchez, I'm not really sure if they are transplants or natives but I will be honest and admit the typical SEC team baseball cap-wearing, volvo-driving, Dave Mathews Band-listening southern girls so common around here are not my type. I've actually had better luck with non-natives.
Although if that's all you're finding around here, you aren't looking very hard or in the right spots. At all.

I find it so weird how some men tend to talk about women like we're part of a place's scenery. What a turn-off.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
Although if that's all you're finding around here, you aren't looking very hard or in the right spots. At all.

I find it so weird how some men tend to talk about women like we're part of a place's scenery. What a turn-off.
Oh get over yourself. It was a joke.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM

143 posts, read 346,015 times
Quote:
Oh get over yourself. It was a joke.
It's not just you, it's done commonly on this forum. I've never encountered it before. It's weird to hear yourself talked about like you're grown as a crop in a particular place.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
I feel this way quite often since I moved back about a year ago. I miss the intellectual stimulation and the vibe of living in one of the world's most important cities. I also miss trading smiles on the streets and the subway with some of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen. A lot of Atlanta women have always seemed stuck up to me for some reason. It's unfair to compare Atlanta to NYC but I can't help it.

The unrelenting heat and the general rudeness of a lot of Atlantans don't help matters any.
Dude, I gotta raise the BS flag on this one . I can understand gorgeous ladies all over the city, but trading smiles? Dude...something's wrong with this picture. I was born and raised in NYC, and go there at least 6 times a year (both business and pleasure. Still have plenty of friends and family up there), and talking about people trading smiles in the subway is total BS.

Women in the city avoid eye contact as much as possible.
1. Cause in NYC eyeing someone is considered rude, and at times people will ask you, why are you looking at them?

2. Women in NYC get hit on by men day in, day out in the city. They try to avoid that stuff as much as they can.

They're not flat out rude like people in Miami, but they keep to themselves. And people that keep to themselves aren't about to smile and start conversations anywhere, anytime.

You're probably talking about a Woody Allen movie, or flat out dreaming. I will give NYC its due respects, but what you wrote is just a fantasy.

Quote:

Brown, visiting and living there are two totally different things. NYers could care less about tourists or people in town on business. People who live up there look out for each other because everyone realizes how demanding a city it can be. I encounter far more rudeness here, subtle and overt. For instance, drivers are FAR more aware(or just less oblivious in general) of pedestrians and bicyclists up there than they are here. I will say that people are less gregarious and open up there. Some would call that "minding their own damn business." I'm the type of person that can appreciate that.

Almost everything you wrote is true, except what's in bold. You must be talking about upstate NY, not the city.

It's a dog eat dog world in the city (all over for that matter), and people are not looking out for each other as you say.

If you're talking about neighbors on the same block looking out for each other, I'll give NYC that. Many neighbors seem to get along in NYC moreso than people in the south.

That, I'll agree with, but strangers in the city on their way to and from work or home, H-e-L-L NO!!

You can try to pull that kumbaya talk with the native Atlantians, not me. If you miss it, cool. I respect that. But please spare me the NYC is the best place on earth, and people care for one another nonsense . If that were the case, people wouldn't till this day, try to leave it in droves to head South.

I love NYC as much if not more than the next person, but I call it what it is. It's great for business, public transportation, single life, salary (offset by cost of living) and professional advancement, etc. I'll give those to NYC over most places, but that's it. Everything else is fair game.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Dude, I gotta raise the BS flag on this one . people trading smiles in the subway is total BS.

Seriously? You actually think everyone is so gaurded up there that this never happens? Maybe those girls were tourists and didn't know any better

Women in the city avoid eye contact as much as possible.
1. Cause in NYC eyeing someone is considered rude, and at times people will ask you, why are you looking at them?

2. Women in NYC get hit on by men day in, day out in the city. They try to avoid that stuff as much as they can.

They're not flat out rude like people in Miami, but they keep to themselves. And people that keep to themselves aren't about to smile and start conversations anywhere, anytime.

Dude, this may have fooled some folks in the 70's when NYC was truly a hellhole but it's a hell of a lot safer now. Women aren't little timid helpless creatures anymore. In fact, they may even hit on us guys

Not everyone keeps to themselves in NYC. Some don't get offended by being approached nor do they find it impossible to engage a complete stranger in idle chitchat.

It's a dog eat dog world in the city (all over for that matter), and people are not looking out for each other as you say.

If you're talking about neighbors on the same block looking out for each other, I'll give NYC that. Many neighbors seem to get along in NYC moreso than people in the south.

That, I'll agree with, but strangers in the city on their way to and from work or home, H-e-L-L NO!!

I never said complete strangers look out for each other. I was refering to co-workers, neighbors, and friends. I don't feel the same sort of vibe in Atlanta. There's no romaticized "struggle" shared by folks living in Atlanta.

You can try to pull that kumbaya talk with the native Atlantians, not me. If you miss it, cool. I respect that. But please spare me the NYC is the best place on earth, and people care for one another nonsense . If that were the case, people wouldn't till this day, try to leave it in droves to head South.

So I guess you just couldn't hack it up there could you?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM

123 posts, read 157,671 times
Quote:

I never have that experience they are always diasppointed to find out that I am BI... I have had women pay for my drinks in clubs..

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Seriously? You actually think everyone is so gaurded up there that this never happens? Maybe those girls were tourists and didn't know any better
Man, please . So now, you know everyone in the city to make such dumb assumption? How do you know if they weren't locals? I get a kick out of people that complain while in NYC, then head elsewhere to do more complaining. That's all you!!!! Why did you leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000
Dude, this may have fooled some folks in the 70's when NYC was truly a hellhole but it's a hell of a lot safer now. Women aren't little timid helpless creatures anymore. In fact, they may even hit on us guys

Not everyone keeps to themselves in NYC. Some don't get offended by being approached nor do they find it impossible to engage a complete stranger in idle chitchat.
Safety doesn't have much to do with the way the women are. It's obvious you know little about the city, and fantasize about being the way you wish it were.

That's my city, and it will always stay close to my heart. I have my roots there, and will always head back for many reasons (as stated before, business, vacation, shopping etc).

I'm not trying to make NYC look like a hell hole, but your post bought so much B-S, I had to put a stop to some of your nonsense. Why are you in Atlanta to begin with?

Quote:
I never said complete strangers look out for each other. I was refering to co-workers, neighbors, and friends. I don't feel the same sort of vibe in Atlanta. There's no romaticized "struggle" shared by folks living in Atlanta.
Again, if that's how you're feeling about Atlanta, the problem may be you.

How long have you been in Atlanta? Again, when speaking of neighbors, I said it already. I agreed that, yes in NYC neighbors were friendlier, held tighter bonds and lasting relationships with one another.

As for friends and co-workers, that can be anywhere. If you come to Atlanta looking for fake people, you'll find it. Same goes for NYC. You'll find frauds all over. No place is immune to that. Try harder.

I think your problem is that you rub people the wrong way at work and in your social circles. You're doing it very well right here.
You seem to be the type that people will stereotype about. You come to a new place, and want to make loud and asinine statements of the new place, in front of the locals. Then get mad, when they call you a p-rick. . You seem to be the type that won't adjust, but will call everyone out for their ills, and not yours.

Quote:
So I guess you just couldn't hack it up there could you?
Check yourself at the door my friend. Same can be said for you. I actually suggested to my wife heading to NY, after living in Florida for a few years.

My wife didn't want to, plus having kids and the collection of cars I have, living in the CITY would be a lot more expensive. It was a matter of choice and compromise for us. A choice we're happy with.

We couldn't see ourselves on the LIRR hours on end, and didn't want to deal with the hefty property taxes on Long Island. It has nothing to do with not being able to hack it.

What are you doing in Atlanta? Everything is about choices dude.

Don't play yourself. (Too late now anyways....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta