Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Boonie.....

Don't worry, theres lots of people here that feel as you do. I'm here for a project that is almost over!! I live in Midtown which is supposedly one of the hottest neighborhoods in the "ITP" yet there is crime here all over the place - I think it has to do with the "ghetto" being just 10 small blocks south of here. Even in Midtown its alot of chain restaurant and bars in strip malls. I've never seen the "hip" area of any city have so much parking lots, gated communities, and chain restaurant within strip malls. Buckhead, the premiere area of this city is based around two shopping malls (last time I saw this in a major city was in a SUBURB or DC in Tysons Corner.

To the bashers! Yes I did my homework, it was a temporary project so I took it. I have also partaken in alot of activities like gay pride, black gay pride(scary), dogwood festival, taste of Atlanta, the art fairs in Piedmont. Been to Cabbage town, L5P, Decatur, East Atlanta, etc...

BLEH!!
For clarification:

1. Which ghetto is 10 blocks from Midtown?

2. Can you name a strip mall in Midtown?

3. What's wrong with a chain restaurant?

4. Do you really consider Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza just basic "shopping malls"?

5. Where are all of the parking lots in Midtown? I want to know so I can park in one and not drive around and around next time I'm trying to park in Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Boonie, I'm not inclined to bash you. I do hope your post proves cautionary to others, though.

This forum gets quite a few posts from people writing about how they hate where they're at and they're eager to move to Atlanta. The forum regulars write their usual replies about how nobody should move here without a job lined up, and how it's best to visit the area first and get a feel for it, before making the decision to move. Some people do love the Atlanta area, but others hate it. Everyone who considers moving here needs to find out for themselves if it's for them.

I've seen a few posts recently from another person who moved here about a year ago and now seems discontented. That person too, sounded like they were completely committed to moving here, back before their move when they were seeking info here. A long distance move is a big change. People should check out their future home in person, BEFORE they pack up and move.
well stated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
1. Which ghetto is 10 blocks from Midtown? old fourth ward/ sopo (ponce is ghetto) with homeless shelters with bums hanging around all day and night. you can find needles and little **** bags all over Central park.

2. Can you name a strip mall in Midtown? ansley

3. What's wrong with a chain restaurant? why live in a city if you can food the same amenities found in Kennesaw. nothing special about the city.

4. Do you really consider Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza just basic "shopping malls"? they have the same stores a lot of suburban malls have - look up Tysons Corner

5. Where are all of the parking lots in Midtown? I want to know so I can park in one and not drive around and around next time I'm trying to park in Midtown.there is a parking lot right behind metropolis, they are building a giant one at piedmont park, lots more!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times
OP sorry for you. Save up, look for another job back north and move when you can. The mistake was already made so no use in crying about it now. Learn from this mistake and move on. Put together your plan to get your life on track the way you feel it should be. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,196 times
Its sad the OP was told he would be making a certain amount of money and it turned out to not be true.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
1. Which ghetto is 10 blocks from Midtown? old fourth ward/ sopo (ponce is ghetto) with homeless shelters with bums hanging around all day and night. you can find needles and little **** bags all over Central park.

2. Can you name a strip mall in Midtown? ansley

3. What's wrong with a chain restaurant? why live in a city if you can food the same amenities found in Kennesaw. nothing special about the city.

4. Do you really consider Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza just basic "shopping malls"? they have the same stores a lot of suburban malls have - look up Tysons Corner

5. Where are all of the parking lots in Midtown? I want to know so I can park in one and not drive around and around next time I'm trying to park in Midtown.there is a parking lot right behind metropolis, they are building a giant one at piedmont park, lots more!
1. a)Old Fourth Ward is not a ghetto. b)A homeless shelter is not a ghetto.

2. I wouldn't say that Ansley is a strip mall in the 2009 sense. It's more of a 1950s open-air mall...but even if it were considered a strip mall, it doesn't constitute strip malls in Midtown to the extent which you described.

3. a)Atlanta has MANY, MANY unique restaurants. b)Every city has chain restaurants. c)Some of them are pretty decent, and some are pretty unique themselves.

4. Lenox and Phipps have many, many upscale stores that MOST suburban malls don't have.

5. a)Those are parking DECKS...big difference. b)The one behind Metropolis is for Metropolis only. Give me a public parking lot...

I have no problem with someone complaining about Atlanta. I have some complaints about Atlanta. What I hate is fabricated, contrived complaints about Atlanta.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM

A couple of photos from the Old Fourth Ward "ghetto":

For sale: My loft at 572 Edgewood Ave #105, Atlanta, GA 30312 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimday1982/3476949017/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Vertical Modern, Old Fourth Ward on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyurban/3740326072/ - broken link)

Danneman's Store Front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcknight/2584839193/ - broken link)

Art deco condos in Old Fourth Ward on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberlrhea/3649345402/ - broken link)

577 Auburn on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcknight/2304287210/ - broken link)

Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times
To the original poster I am really sorry you are having a bad time. I am from the Northeast and it is different here. This area has its own personality. But my family moves every few years for spouses job so I just have to make the best of every situation. In my opinion it really takes 3 years to settle in to a new area. I find myself really starting to like this area and dreading the day when I have to leave. But it took me a while to get here. Maybe you need to give it some more time.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A couple of photos from the Old Fourth Ward "ghetto":
Good grief DeaconJ! How can you stand to live there?!?!?! It looks so terribly run down.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Another ex-NYer comes to Atlanta (sight unseen and without a job?) and discovers it's not like Brooklyn, things are spread out, and (oh the horror...) some of the restaurants are franchises owned by locals, instead of "private" overpriced and trendy restaurants owned by locals. What are the other restaurants...."public restaurants?"

While I can respect everyone having a different lifestyle and wanting different things from life, I have to ask the OP...did you come to Atlanta before you moved? Did you have a job or did you come here thinking it was the land of milk and honey and money would be hanging from the trees?

BTW...I've lived in NY, MA, & CT (33 years in all) and while there are some older towns that are very nice, there are plenty of "strip malls" and "chain restaurants" and all the other things you seem to dislike. Georgia and Atlanta don't have the same history and most of the growth has happended in the last 40 years. Did you even visit here before you picked up and moved 1000 miles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta